Ancient textual evidence for planetary catastrophe?

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Krackonis

Re: Ancient textual evidence for planetary catastrophe?

Unread post by Krackonis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Bonds of the Past, a CBC Documentary about Emmanuel Velikovsky has tons of textual evidence. Besides a couple of crazy proposals taken out of context by others the whole piece is very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KsKA8p6HDI

Another site is http://www.saturniancosmology.org which has some interesting references which the author uses to reconstruct events. Its a work in progress, but a good site to get references from.

I hope this gives you a starting point from where to work from.
Neil Thompson

EET

"We are the universe trying to understand itself." - Delen, Babylon 5

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi Krakonis,
You wrote:
We are on page 22 of the thread so I think it's safe to assume that we've already got started. :D
I've watched the V documentary and seen the Cook site and suffice to say that I'm not a big fan of either. :(
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:
StefanR wrote:Isn't shamanism part of animism?
As far as I'm aware, 'shaman' is originally from Siberia but nowadays is a sort of generic term for what used to be called medicine-men and witch doctors etc. It is, or can be, related to animism but there again, animism is a western term coined by those who have no idea, ie. experts.
mague wrote: Shamans and animism are similar frameworks indeed. They relate like priest and religion, doctor and medizine. The idea is that everything is "alive" and has its own idendity. Rocks, rivers, water sources, trees, bees, air, clouds, everything. Everything is "animated". Its problem is that it crashes massively with "materialism". .....
Shamans do originate form everywhere. The word shaman originates from siberia, scandinavia though. However, since globalization it has become a worldwide term. ...............
American natives have met asian, african and shamans from new zealand. They are now well aware of the global situation.
Thanks GreyCloud and Mague,

I concur with your statements, it is for the want for a better word that I had to use those archaic concepts.
I liked the series "Tribe" that was on the BBC very much. It was good to see some traditional culture, even though it is being threatened by industry and "modern"-life.
GreyCloud wrote:Here's an interesting pp17 essay which may interest some of you (Stefan, Solar?).

Neoplatonism in Science
Past and Future
Bruce MacLennan
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
I read the article, and I agree with it to a certain extant. First, I think the connotation of the word magic or magical is not well chosen, it seems to me to call up too many wrong images. I also think that to pick up the last remaining glowing embers from a temporary manifestation of what is called neo-platonics and say: this is the way it should be done in science is not good, but I personally think it is just that what the writer seems to miss, and that would be AW or PP or something like that. And it is from making it anew that might be the most inspiring for science, perhaps?
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

Krackonis

Unread post by Krackonis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:49 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:Hi Krakonis,
You wrote:
We are on page 22 of the thread so I think it's safe to assume that we've already got started. :D
I've watched the V documentary and seen the Cook site and suffice to say that I'm not a big fan of either. :(
In what sense. I found both to be very helpful in conglomerating different pieces of evidence from different sources. Nothing can be taken as gospel in this reconstruction we are attempting. Velikovsky's work is as important as Julian Jaynes in this regard. Both have it "wrong" but for their time, very interesting.

I am asking because I want to see if the parts you object with may be the ones I object with aswell.
Neil Thompson

EET

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:21 am

Hi Krackonis,
You wrote:
I am asking because I want to see if the parts you object with may be the ones I object with aswell.
Read the thread or at least my opening post. This thread isn't about debating the merits or otherwise of various catastrophists. Why don't you open such a thread?
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Krackonis

Unread post by Krackonis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:Hi Krackonis,
You wrote:
Read the thread or at least my opening post. This thread isn't about debating the merits or otherwise of various catastrophists. Why don't you open such a thread?
Sure. I'll try and divine what you are referring to through those posts then. Thank you.
Neil Thompson

EET

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Following segment plunges one right in the middel of a discussion, but it starts there more or less about Homer, myth etc.
Very interesting and for those aware of the discussion in the Future of Science-forum, particularly the discussion now ongoing in the Everything that is wrong in modern science-thread, I would suggest to keep on watching the following segments unto the end, as it's seems to go into that direction as well. At least, it made that impression on me at the time of watching.
Have fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1mMgZEI ... re=related
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:37 am

StefanR wrote:Following segment plunges one right in the middel of a discussion, but it starts there more or less about Homer, myth etc.
Very interesting and for those aware of the discussion in the Future of Science-forum, particularly the discussion now ongoing in the Everything that is wrong in modern science-thread, I would suggest to keep on watching the following segments unto the end, as it's seems to go into that direction as well. At least, it made that impression on me at the time of watching.
Have fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1mMgZEI ... re=related
Interesting. Thanks, Sefan. Looks as if this may keep me busy for a while.

http://coffeewithpierre.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32VQ2FQYdLU
(the 1st of 12 segments of the one you posted above)

http://www.youtube.com/user/openingmind
(his YouTube channel with many more videos

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=p ... =f&start=0
(a listing of his videos on Googlevideo - has some unsegmented video streams as well as the segmented YouTube clips, for those with high speed connections [Googlevideo does not limit uploads to 10 minute segments as YouTube does])
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 am

Hi Arc-us,
Stefan and I are long-time Pierre Grimes fans. PG was a friend of Alan Watts

On Alan Watts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElgHZwJp ... BE&index=0
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:17 am

Grey Cloud wrote:Hi Arc-us,
Stefan and I are long-time Pierre Grimes fans. PG was a friend of Alan Watts

On Alan Watts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElgHZwJp ... BE&index=0
So I am finding out. Yes, this is gonna occupy my time for some while, methinks. After all, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear." :ugeek:

Thanks greatly to you both for this new link-up (for me). Am listening/reading, adding to my library/collection now.
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:12 am

Just thought I'd throw this out. Two references mentioned and recommended in the video link posted by Stefan can be found here as a downloadable pdf, The Theology of Plato and The Elements of Theology, plus other works as below:

http://books.google.com/books?id=uB9dAA ... lt#PPR5,M1
THE SIX BOOKS OF PROCLUS
ON THE THEOLOGY OF PLATO, TRANSLATED FROM THE GREEK ;

TO WHICH A SEVENTH BOOK IS ADDED,
IN ORDER TO SUPPLY THE DEFICIENCY OF ANOTHER BOOK ON THIS SUBJECT,
WHICH WAS WRITTEN EY PROCLUS, BUT SINCE LOST.

ALSO, A TRANSLATION FROM THE GREEK OF
PROCLUS' ELEMENTS OF THEOLOGY.

TO WHICH ARE ADDED
A TRANSLATION OF THE TREATISE OF PROCLUS,

A TRANSLATION OF EXTRACTS FROM HIS TREATISE, ENTITLED,
TEN DOUBTS CONCERNING PROVIDENCE;

AND

A TRANSLATION OF EXTRACTS FROM HIS TREATISE
ON THE SUBSISTENCE OF EVIL,;

As preserved in the Bibliotheca Gr. of Fabricius.

BY THOMAS TAYLOR.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:52 am

arc-us wrote:Thanks greatly to you both for this new link-up (for me). Am listening/reading, adding to my library/collection now.
Glad you like it, it still fascinates me! :)
As a disclaimer, I would say if your a "lover" of Aristotle, do not enter into these pages as your beliefs will be crushed :P
As for the die-hards, hold on to your hat and check your shodding ;)

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:29 am

Thread rustlers :shock:
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Being spurred by the crack of the whip
chariot_bolt.png

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Platonism & Alchemy
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7197&hl=en

Starting around the 46:xx mark. Wow.