Help Us Explain Crater Formation!

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

D_Archer

Square craters

Unread post by D_Archer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:48 am

Why are there square craters forming on the Moon? http://io9.com/why-are-there-square-cra ... 1538860785

Excerpt: "sometimes an object happens to collide with areas of the ground where there's already an existing network of faults, and when a collision happens on that precise point, its force is no longer equally distributed. Instead, the direction of the shock wave is influenced by the faults, creating the square pattern like you see in the picture below of crater Lavoisier A on the Moon"

Can we come up with a better explanation?

Kind regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Bomb20

Re: Square craters

Unread post by Bomb20 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:30 am

I leave the answer to the more knowledgeable members here but would like to add pictures.

This crater looks also a bit squared in my humble opinion or is it only my imagination?
http://www.lroc.asu.edu/news/uploads/LR ... _thumb.png

And this „artifical“ crater was caused by the impact of the third stage of the Saturn V rocket that carried Apollo. It looks squared to me as well.
See: http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/uploads/M ... _thumb.png

bdw000

New Siberia Crater

Unread post by bdw000 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:32 pm

I am no expert, and this is not from a hard core science site, but this new crater in Siberia looks like it has electrical potential (pun intended):

http://io9.com/a-dramatic-260-foot-crat ... 1605939738

The deep inside part of the crater looks so darn smooth . . . . .

Oliver Lightside

Re: New Siberia Crater

Unread post by Oliver Lightside » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:54 am

Based off of the two photos I've seen, it looks a lot like a kimberlite pipe as shown here:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/geology/geol2250/glossary/HTML files/kimberlitepipe.html

Oliver Lightside

Unread post by Oliver Lightside » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Apparently, it's a pingo. What's a pingo? http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/18/n ... ts-name-o/

Bomb20

Unread post by Bomb20 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:47 am

One can read in the text: "A debris field around the perimeter suggests that the material was somehow thrown out of the crater."

Does Pingos explode? The second explanation seems to make more sense to me but who knows ...

paladin17

Unread post by paladin17 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:39 am

I don't know whether you are aware, but there's already two more new holes.

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:04 am

Bomb20 wrote:One can read in the text: "A debris field around the perimeter suggests that the material was somehow thrown out of the crater."

Does Pingos explode? The second explanation seems to make more sense to me but who knows ...
These are clearly not craters. They're holes in the Earth. The only real evidence for their formation will be if a camera somehow catches one in the act of creation. They ought to stage cameras on poles in the vicinity of these holes to see more of them appearing.

Something did thrust some of the material outward as there is a debris field--a very shallow and small and highly localized debris field--more like a debris "berm." In other words, the surrounding debris could have been formed by a force acting inwardly directed to the Earth and not from "within" (like a traditional "impact" crater").

Moreover, the troughs in the sidewalls appear to be fluvial/liquid water creations leftover from whatever may have exploded outward (if it was indeed an outward explosion). These structures however do not match or mimic "craters." These appear more to be akin to sinkholes and less like craters. Yet something explosively and suddenly made them based upon the structure left over. It was made instantly and violently.

GaryN

Re: Help Us Explain Crater Formation!

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:09 am

'Meteorite' smashes into Nicaraguan capital
Government spokeswoman, First Lady Rosario Murillo, said Managua would be in contact with the US Geological Service to try to get more information about "this fascinating event" in the Central American nation, one of Latin America's poorest countries.

People who live near the crater told local media they heard a blast they took for an explosion, and that liquid, sand and dust were blown through the air, which smelled like something had burned.

This looks like another electrical discharge event, and with the relatively close passage of 2014 RC around the same time, perhaps an indication of electrical interaction? I'd think one of the sky watching systems in operation around the world should have picked this up, maybe there will be further info soon.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:01 pm

A couple of images from Yutu. Impact or discharge?
http://www.spaceflight101.com/change-3- ... dates.html
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/29109646
A small meteorite has landed near the capital of Nicaragua, in Central America, causing a 12 metre wide crater.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:19 pm

A small meteorite has landed near the capital of Nicaragua, in Central America, causing a 12 metre wide crater.
So, if terminal velocity is 200-400 mph, given the nature of the ground, they should be able to calculate how big/heavy the meteorite was. Also I see in one account, the locals noted a burning smell, but as the meteorite experts claim, these objects will be quite cool by the time they reach the surface, not glowing hot. I think they need to look for fulgurite type material, or just dig down and see what emerges.
Heres a crater from a truck carrying 35,000 lbs of explosives. The truck is gone.
A single stick of dynamite doesn't seem to do much from vids. I looked at on Youtube.

bdw000

Crater chain south of Mt. Ararat ?

Unread post by bdw000 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:02 pm

I am no EU expert, but this looks like it might be of interest.

This:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt+Ar ... 247c?hl=en

looks to me like a crater chain here on Earth, with what might even be a "scooped out" area, like on Mars.

I have followed Thunderbolts here for years, and do not remember any items about crater chains here on earth. Perhaps I just missed them.

Could this just be a series of old sink-holes??

EDIT:
Actually, the scale is small enough that these could possibly be man-made, whether ancient or modern. There are actually buildings in and around the "craters." But it sure looks like a crater chain from Mars. Please debunk as needed.

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:51 am

GaryN wrote:'Meteorite' smashes into Nicaraguan capital
http://www.telesurtv.net/__export/14101 ... 83346.jpeg
Government spokeswoman, First Lady Rosario Murillo, said Managua would be in contact with the US Geological Service to try to get more information about "this fascinating event" in the Central American nation, one of Latin America's poorest countries.

People who live near the crater told local media they heard a blast they took for an explosion, and that liquid, sand and dust were blown through the air, which smelled like something had burned.

This looks like another electrical discharge event, and with the relatively close passage of 2014 RC around the same time, perhaps an indication of electrical interaction? I'd think one of the sky watching systems in operation around the world should have picked this up, maybe there will be further info soon.

About ten years ago a guy, who made a huge rubberband ball, got together with a bunch of skydivers
and arranged to push the ball out of the back of a big airplane. When it hit the ground it made a
crater which should be compared to this one.. There are similarities that i can see but i don't
have any images handy to show at this time..
I will try to get back here with an image or two. d...z

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:27 am

This one puzzled the experts too:

The September 15, 2007, impact in Carancas, Peru, resulting in a 45 feet diameter crater, was caused by a chondrite (stony) meteorite 10 feet in diameter. In theory, it should have delivered as much energy as an atomic bomb with an explosive energy of 15-kiloton equivalent of TNT -- enough to destroy New York City -- but there was only smoke and steaming groundwater. People walked over from nearby to have a look.

Peter Schultz, professor of geological sciences at Brown University and an expert in extraterrestrial impacts, went to Peru to learn more and he presented the findings from his travels at the 39th annual Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in League City, Texas. [March 11, 2008]

"This just isn't what we expected," Schultz said. "It was to the point that many thought this was fake. It was completely inconsistent with our understanding how stony meteorites act."

A smaller crater, on the Grays Creek trail in Colorado, where the photographer noted charring of the rock, and suspects lightning. Surely there must be a way to determine impact or discharge with the bigger craters?
http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/320117.jpg