Asteroids

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

pavlink

Dwarf planet caught spitting inside asteroid belt

Unread post by pavlink » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 am

Dwarf planet caught spitting inside asteroid belt
22 January 2014
The dwarf planet Ceres has been caught spouting water vapour, perhaps from a layer of buried ice or even from slushy volcanoes.

"This is the first clear-cut detection of water in the asteroid belt," says Michael Küppers of the European Space Agency. It backs up indirect signs of water on other asteroids – good news for would-be space miners hoping to use that water as fuel.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... uDnmSH8JHs
We live in a double star system.
We need to study double star systems.

Solar System as 4D energy vortex
http://files.kostovi.com/8835e.pdf

Metryq

Re: Dwarf planet caught spitting inside asteroid belt

Unread post by Metryq » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:44 am

I heard about this through a NASA science news mailing. I wonder if it's the same scenario as the dry comets we've been seeing—sputtered surface material mixing with the Solar "wind." While not "cometary," Ceres' orbit may be elliptical enough to build up a charge.
A 10-hour observation in March 2013 then helped the team tie the vapour to dark spots on its surface.
Mainstream astronomy or EU: who do you think will win the World Ceres when Dawn gets there in 2015? :D

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:55 am

The article is based on a scientific paper linked at the bottom of the article.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v5 ... 12918.html
They did not actually discover water vapor per se, but rather hydroxyl (OH) and they assume that it is the product of the photodissociation of H2O.
The presence of water vapour around Ceres was suggested by a marginal detection of the photodissociation product of water, hydroxyl (ref. 12), but could not be confirmed by later, more sensitive observations13. Here we report the detection of water vapour around Ceres, with at least 1026 molecules being produced per second, originating from localized sources that seem to be linked to mid-latitude regions on the surface14, 15. The water evaporation could be due to comet-like sublimation or to cryo-volcanism, in which volcanoes erupt volatiles such as water instead of molten rocks.
I do not even know if that process could take place at the distance of the asteroid belt, being quite far from the Sun. The EU model has an alternative explanation for the presence of hydroxyl in comet comas. I suspect this applies to Ceres too.

And the thought of volcanoes on what is basically a large rock seems to defy all the mainstream models for the formation of the solar system and it's history. Would not Ceres have become inactive a long time ago if it were formed (as we are told) billions of years ago? After all it is in an orbit between Jupiter and Mars and it is pretty cold and dark out there, between perihelion of 2.5 AU and aphelion of 3 AU.
The difference between aphelion and perihelion is approximately 63 million km.

I suspect that what we are seeing on Ceres is the same process that occurs on comets.
See:
Deep Impact: Where's The Water?
Plasma events are scalable. What occurs in the plasma laboratory can occur on a vastly larger scale in space plasma. Hence, observations of plasma behavior in the laboratory are a logical reference when considering the mysteries of cometary comas—and that includes the many enigmas that surround the identification of “water” in the comas. According to the electric theorists, electricity can accomplish the very things that have baffled the cometologists.

In their analysis of the coma, astronomers begin with the assumption that water is evaporating in the heat of the Sun, off the surface ices of the nucleus. They do not “see” the water, but call upon the effects of solar radiation (photolysis) on assumed “water” to account for the abundant hydroxyl radical OH (oxygen-hydrogen molecules) in the coma.

In our previous Picture of the Day we noted another possibility. Astronomers have not considered the energetic ionic chemical reactions that would accompany plasma discharge “sputtering” of a cathode or negatively charged object in space. Production of OH would be virtually certain if proton streams sputtered material from the surface in the fashion that the electric theorists have claimed

highlight added

Ceres seems to be further blurring the distinction between comets and asteroids. Of course, in the Electric Universe model the word "comet" does not describe a specific type of object, but rather is a description of an electrical condition that could apply to ANY TYPE of celestial object.

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Metryq wrote:I heard about this through a NASA science news mailing. I wonder if it's the same scenario as the dry comets we've been seeing—sputtered surface material mixing with the Solar "wind." While not "cometary," Ceres' orbit may be elliptical enough to build up a charge.
A 10-hour observation in March 2013 then helped the team tie the vapour to dark spots on its surface.
Mainstream astronomy or EU: who do you think will win the World Ceres when Dawn gets there in 2015? :D
You sound like Sparky 8-) 8-)

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Ceres may be very much like Enceladus.

Frantic

Unread post by Frantic » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:37 am

Something about hydroxyl, metal halides, and sulfur hydrides and I get excited, sounds like life to me, then ...read further down the article on Enceladus considered most likely habitable body in solar system... guess I'm not exactly hot on the trail ... :lol:

Maol

Unread post by Maol » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:37 pm

If Ceres contains a large chunk of Iron…??....

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 pm

Frantic wrote:Something about hydroxyl, metal halides, and sulfur hydrides and I get excited, sounds like life to me, then ...read further down the article on Enceladus considered most likely habitable body in solar system... guess I'm not exactly hot on the trail ... :lol:
That's debatable. Life tends not to thrive in cryogenically frozen temperatures.

CosmicLettuce

SD: 'Rogue' asteroids may be the norm

Unread post by CosmicLettuce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:26 am

"Nothing is rich but the inexhaustible wealth of nature. She shows us only surfaces, but she is a million fathoms deep" - Emerson

http://astroandmusic.blogspot.com/

Sparky

Re: SD: 'Rogue' asteroids may be the norm

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:12 am

I saw the term, "rogue", and wondered what a rogue asteroid was.... :? Seems to be
an asteroid that does not fit their assumptions... :roll:

When they find and admit that comets are asteroids with an attitude, will they be
called "radical rogue" asteroids?.. :? :D
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

CosmicLettuce

Asteroid mysteriously disintegrating

Unread post by CosmicLettuce » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:12 am

http://arxiv.org/abs/1403.1237

The captions for figs 2 and 3 are switched in the ApJ Letters paper -- oops. They haven't really a clue what is happening, except they do calculate that the initial breakup occurred sometime between Feb and Sept 2013. Their guess is that it "is undergoing a rotationally triggered disruption". How does the asteroid spin up? In a word, YORP! Yet they see no comet-like outgassing.

With 24 total observations (and only four with good enough spacial resolution) anything is speculation.

Here's the "non-technical" article in SD:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 100828.htm

Peace, CL
"Nothing is rich but the inexhaustible wealth of nature. She shows us only surfaces, but she is a million fathoms deep" - Emerson

http://astroandmusic.blogspot.com/

Metryq

Re: Asteroid mysteriously disintegrating

Unread post by Metryq » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:54 am

Their guess is that it "is undergoing a rotationally triggered disruption". How does the asteroid spin up?
I guess this proves that asteroids aren't made out of neutronium, like pulsars! ;)

justcurious

Unread post by justcurious » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Supposedly the Sun's light would have made the asteroid spin until it disintegrated.
The pieces of the asteroid seem to be be lit up and have tails, water jets no doubt :roll:
It is still disintegrating... who would have known light can do that.

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:30 am

If this asteroid was a charged object that released it's charge to surrounding environment, enough to break apart, the pieces should have separated with more energetic force. If the asteroid intercepted a birkeland current and conducted some of that current through itself, then ohmic heating may have dissociated binding matter enough for the asteroid to simply break apart. On second thoughts, the same would happen with a slower discharge..soireallydonno :?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

4realScience

Unread post by 4realScience » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Yes, here is an EU Smoking Gun showing the paucity of mainstream explanation.

I agree with the above posts. It seems to me most likely this quiescent body moved/blundered into a strong EU circuit, most likely solar-planetary. The Usual Suspects would be the gas giant planets and the Sun. So begs the question where were they all in alignment at the precise moment this asteroid became a comet (with its tails, hah)?