[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1056: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Thunderbolts Forum • View topic - Phil Plait - Bad Astronomer vs. Good Science

Phil Plait - Bad Astronomer vs. Good Science

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Phil Plait - Bad Astronomer vs. Good Science

Unread postby davesmith_au » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 am

'08 Aug 28 ~ Michael Gmirkin

There’s nothing like a good controversy! And this is nothing like a good controversy… Phil Plait opens his mouth and spews polemic nonsense. Furthermore, he exposes astronomers’ biased ignorance about the source of magnetic fields: electric currents. ...
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit
Please visit
Please visit
davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: Phil Plait - Bad Astronomer vs. Good Science

Unread postby mojodog » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 am

<ad hominem removed> I guess that since you're not getting any rattention for your Electric Universe theory, now you've just gone to trashing anyone who doesn't agree with you. Pretty pathetic. And usually the path for those that don't have a real platform to stand on.
Phil Plait is more than just a "self proclaimed" astronomer, but, after reading the articles and "research" the Electric Universe crowd has tossed out, it doesn't appear they care much for the facts.
And you wonder why you're not getting any respect?
Last edited by davesmith_au on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed direct ad hominem attack as per forum rules and guidelines - DS.
mojodog

Unread postby MGmirkin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:51 am

"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law
MGmirkin

Unread postby mojodog » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:42 pm

"Polemics and personal attacks don't fly.." ? Hey, the pot called, it wants it's color back. What do you think your article started off doing? And as far as "facts and figures", I would imagine I have the same set you do, but I'm not choosing to ignore them, and I'm certainly not going to present them to you as if new -
Besides, it's not the point. Phil Plait has done more to salvage good science from the wreckage of those that want to relate it to religious dogma or political gain. The "self proclaimed astronomer", (that's not a dig?), has much more creds than you, and doesn't massage data to fit funny holes. He calls it as it is seen.
That being said, the Electric Universe theory is intriguing, but shouldn't rely on trashing the work of others for legitimacy.

cory
mojodog

Unread postby Michael Goodspeed » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Last edited by Michael Goodspeed on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Goodspeed

Unread postby Michael Goodspeed » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:18 pm

Michael Goodspeed

Unread postby mojodog » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:53 pm

Well, , I'm going to fall back on another one of my favorite quotes, which I often fail to follow -
"Never argue with fools - those watching may not know the difference."

Electric Universe? Funny stuff.
mojodog

Unread postby Michael Goodspeed » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Michael Goodspeed

Unread postby MGmirkin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:32 pm

"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
MGmirkin

Unread postby MGmirkin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:45 pm

MGmirkin

Unread postby MGmirkin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:56 pm

MGmirkin

Unread postby Michael Goodspeed » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:14 pm

I spoke a tad too soon when I asserted that Mr. "mojodog" was going to be banned for resorting to derision not once, but TWICE, in his introductory posts. If he can remain here and abide by our very lenient terms of service and cease with the name calling, and if he can respond to direct challenges and engage in substantive debate, he can remain here -- and as always, we will WELCOME the dissent! :)
Michael Goodspeed

Unread postby davesmith_au » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:44 pm

"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit
Please visit
Please visit
davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread postby StandingWave » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:50 am

Hi all, first off I just want to say how exciting I am finding the ideas discussed in these forums. Thank you to all the EU folk for the information, knowledge and wisdom(!) Ive encountered in here. Im glad to say that a lot of books/articles/announcements in astronoy/cosmology that Ive read since discovering EU seem embarrasingly silly!

This particular Thunderbog article left me with one or two niggling questions which I'd like to see dispelled. Michael Gmirkin often uses the term 'byproduct' when referring to magnetic fields arising as a result of electric current flowing. I was under the impression that magnetic fields and electric currents are in fact one indivisible 'entity'. (Which underscores the point of the original article I suppose.) Is this usage a semantic convention or does EU maintain that electricity and magnetism are two separate and distinct yet causally related components?

Furthermore I was under the impression that Universe is filled with magnetic fields and that any that arise due to current flow merely distort or integrate into existing ones. Am I incorrect in this view?

Finally, do magnetic fields propogate at a finite speed outward from their source current-flow? I presume the speed of light to be the limit since light is EM? I know that the intensity increases with increased current flow (this seems to be a bit of a 'chicken and egg' affair...) but does the area in which the magnetic field is measurable increase too? I assume it would.

Excuse what may be hopelessly naive questions! :)

Regards

P.s. I thought Id posted this earlier but I never saw it appear in the thread so Im posting again, apologies if it becomes a double post... (first timer :oops: )
StandingWave

Unread postby MGmirkin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:16 pm

MGmirkin

Next

Return to Thunderblogs/Multimedia