musings re:music

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

promethean

musings re:music

Unread post by promethean » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:47 pm

Why do we love music ?
Could it be relief from the trauma of hearing the Clash of the Gods ?
An attempt to control the uncontrollable , to resolve the theme ?
Is rhythym the reassuring heartbeat , and melody the predictable song ,
( unlike the cacaphony of the songs of the spheres) ?
The sacred songs of our ancestors were sung to their gods...
Was a harmony a charm ? 8-)
"History teaches everything,even the future." Alphonse de Lamartine (1790-1869)

gamma ray

Re: musings re:music

Unread post by gamma ray » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Could be a lot of things. Though I think the interest in music is much more primal than an intellectual concept such as a god image. It is part of the fabric of our wiring. Spiders weave webs. People tell stories, sing songs, and dance.

Here is a great demonstration of the music language we all have in common with the pentatonic scale:
http://www.ted.com/talks/bobby_mcferrin ... music.html

The first time I heard recordings of space-whistlers they reminded me of marsh sounds. The frogs appeared to be somehow interacting with and responding to the cosmos.

space-whistlers:
http://www.spaceweather.com/audio/inspi ... ewhist.mp3

Frog sounds in the marsh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKezqGQfAR4

I realize in hindsight that the frog sounds go "up" and the whistlers go "down", but there is something familiar. Not a cacophony, I hear patterns in both. Try listening to both of those recordings at the same time and you may see how well they blend and have much in common.

My point with the frogs is that there may be something that we are responding to similarly in our music. Humans just put a more complex spin on things due to a strong internal bias. Humans tend to "hear what they want to hear" more so than animals but we never completely escape the reality of our environment, and the influence of that connection comes through in the patterns we express. And it all comes down to trying to establish a feeling of connection and a harmony as you say.

D_Archer

Re: musings re:music

Unread post by D_Archer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:25 am

The golden ratio.

The closer music comes to this ratio in its timing the more beautiful we find it.

As for the attraction to music, it is fun? We do not have ears for nothing.... i dunno really.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -