Mercury Updates

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

nick c
Site Admin

Iron snow maintains Mercury's magnetic field!

Unread post by nick c » Sat May 10, 2008 12:20 pm

I thought there was a Mercury thread here someplace, but I could not find it.

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=6927
This article is another example of mainstream's tendency to come up with ad hoc explanations to account for anomalies.
In this case, they once again resort to the technique of postulating a process as taking place in the hidden interior where it cannot be disproven by observations.
Coloration my own.
The movement of this iron snow could be responsible for Mercury's mysterious magnetic field, say researchers from the University of Illinois and Case Western Reserve University.
They really are desperate!
Made mostly of iron, Mercury's core is also thought to contain sulfur, which lowers the melting point of iron and plays an important role in producing the planet's magnetic field.
This is stated as a fact, but the fact is:
we know very little about its core
"Our findings provide a new context into which forthcoming observational data from NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft can be placed, "Li said. "We can now connect the physical state of our innermost planet with the formation and evolution of terrestrial planets in general."
This means that papers will be published in professional journals with complex models described by elaborate mathematical calculations all leading to erroneous conclusions because they are based on an incorrect initial assumption.

Nick

Grey Cloud

Re: Iron snow maintains Mercury's magnetic field!

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sat May 10, 2008 12:42 pm

The mind boggles.
A snowball fight would certainly sort the men from the boys.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sat May 10, 2008 1:11 pm

New scientific evidence suggests that deep inside Mercury, iron "snow" forms and falls toward the center of the planet, much like snowflakes form in Earth's atmosphere and fall to the ground.
It's snowing in Mercury's core? :shock:

ROTFL!!!!
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sat May 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Solar wrote:
New scientific evidence suggests that deep inside Mercury, iron "snow" forms and falls toward the center of the planet, much like snowflakes form in Earth's atmosphere and fall to the ground.
It's snowing in Mercury's core? :shock:

ROTFL!!!!
Didn't you see the forecast? ;)
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sat May 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:The mind boggles.
It certainly does!
Grey Cloud wrote:A snowball fight would certainly sort the men from the boys.
Iron snowballs? Owwie! :x

~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Mon May 12, 2008 11:25 pm

hahahahahahahahahahaha

"iron snow"

is that like "iron butterfly?"

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

this is science?!

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Tue May 13, 2008 12:22 pm

All joking aside, the theory goes that Mercury's core is composed of Iron watered down by Sulfur, if I read it right. And at certain temperatures / densities, the iron will "precipitate" out of solution? OF course the theory is wholly based on assumptions of an internal dynamo that hasn't ever been observed, per se. So, it's all very speculative...

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

seasmith

Mercury Updates

Unread post by seasmith » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:45 pm

One of the most exciting results announced in Science involves Mercury's magnetic field. Until Mariner 10 discovered Mercury's magnetic field in the 1970s, Earth was the only other terrestrial planet known to have a global magnetic field. Earth's magnetism is generated by the planet's churning hot, liquid-iron core via a mechanism called a magnetic dynamo.
Researchers have been puzzled by Mercury's field because its iron core was supposed to have cooled long ago and stopped generating magnetism. Some researchers have thought that the field may have been a relic of the past, frozen in the outer crust.

MESSENGER data suggest otherwise: Mercury's field appears to be generated by an active dynamo in the planet's core. It is not a relic.

"MESSENGER's measurements indicate that, like Earth, Mercury's magnetic field is mostly dipolar, which means it has a north and south magnetic poles," says lead author Brian Anderson of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) in Laurel, Md. "The fact that it is dipolar, and that we did not find the signature shorter-wavelength anomalies that would signify patches of magnetized crust, supports the view that we’re seeing a modern dynamo. We are eager for the October flyby and the year in orbit to see if this is the case elsewhere on the planet and confirm that the field comes from the core."
Cooling of this outsized core has led to a remarkable contraction of the planet, revealing itself in the form of cliff-like "wrinkles" called lobate scarps (pictured right).

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008 ... ist1066595

~

substance

Re: Murcury Updates

Unread post by substance » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:44 am

Wow, they really have limitless imagination! :shock: That`s actually quite a good start for a sci-fi film, I wonder if anyone has actually started putting a script together to offer it in Hollywood. :lol:
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

GaryN

Re: Mercury Updates

Unread post by GaryN » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:29 am

Call me cynical, but why would you send a probe billions of miles that will come within a hundred miles or so of a planet, and only equip it with 1 Megapixel cameras? The best images at Messengers closest approach would yield a 20 M/pixel resolution, but I can find no images approaching that, and the best ones look really fuzzy to me.

from btc.montana.edu

"Both of the MDIS cameras have 1024 pixels in each column and 1020 in each row, for a total of over a million pixels per image."
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Don't know if you saw this:
Smallest planet shrinks in size
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7489557.stm
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

substance

Unread post by substance » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:52 pm

Am I the only one that thinks you cannot conclude that a whole planet is shrinking just because of some "lobate scraps" or however these things are called, around some craters?! :roll:
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: Mercury Updates - Latest News, WATER on Mercury???...

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:07 am

Well, here's the latest on the MESSENGER findings and of all things, they are now banging on about having found WATER in Mercury's exosphere.

http://www.planetary.org/news/2008/0703 ... ed_to.html
The Planetary Society wrote:As MESSENGER flew past the night side of Mercury in January, its Fast Imaging Plasma Spectrometer (FIPS) scooped up ions from an atmosphere so tenuous that it's usually called an "exosphere." FIPS measured the expected amounts of ions like sodium, potassium, and calcium that had previously been detected in Mercury's exosphere, but to the science team's great surprise there was also water present, and in large amounts. "Nobody expected that. I don't know a single person that did. We were astonished, just astonished," said MESSENGER science team member Thomas Zurbuchen.
This, in my mind, adds serious weight to the reasons Wal Thornhill gives for finding "water" in cometary comas - it's not water, it's ionized particles of the consituents of water, caused by sputtering, from the solar "wind" interacting with the rocky surface. As EU proponents have suggested all along, it's an electrical phenomena.

Funny, NASA scientists are "surprised" by this finding, but I've learned enough about EU for it not to surprise me at all... in fact I distinctly remember thinking about the possibility of them "finding water" when the flyby was done. Time to start writing down my "silly thoughts" I think...

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:31 am

Thanks Dave, your link appears to be the original article which the BBC (British Bullshit Corporation) used for its piece. I had a quick look for it late last night but couldn't find anything.
I also had a look for this but couldn't find it at the time:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... rcury+snow
[Dave: as an aside, would it be worth re-arranging the Planetary Science section so that each planet has its own sub-section. That way it would be easier to compare and contrast the various press releases pertaining to, e.g. Mercury, and spot contradictions, inconsistencies, etc. We could also keep a running total of the numbers of 'surprised', amazed', astonished', etc.]
Substance wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks you cannot conclude that a whole planet is shrinking just because of some "lobate scraps" or however these things are called, around some craters?!
Nope, the thought crossed my mind too. The Beeb article said:
Data from a flyby of Mercury in January 2008 show the planet has contracted by more than one mile (1.5km) in diameter over its history.
Given that they do not 'know' the planet's history or its original diameter it appears to me to be somewhat problematic to state that it has decreased by any stated amount (never mind one as exact/convenient as 1 mile (would a European Space Agency probe have said 1km?)
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:19 am

Grey Cloud wrote:[Dave: as an aside, would it be worth re-arranging the Planetary Science section so that each planet has its own sub-section. That way it would be easier to compare and contrast the various press releases pertaining to, e.g. Mercury, and spot contradictions, inconsistencies, etc. We could also keep a running total of the numbers of 'surprised', amazed', astonished', etc.]
Whilst I understand and like the idea, the practicality of re-arranging the forum into planetary sections would be challenging, to say the least. Had that been done as the forum was set up, maybe it would have worked. The other consideration is that many topics discussed can involve a number of different bodies, for example particular features shared by [x] planets/moons.

But a GOOD idea would be for anyone posting something new which is applicable to a single planet or it's moons, to start a new thread in the same manner as this one, eg. "Saturn updates", "Mars updates" etc and those threads could be used for general press-releases etc pertaining to that particular planet.

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster