Mermaids / Merpeople

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Lloyd

Mermaids / Merpeople

Unread post by Lloyd » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:51 pm

I just saw the Mermaids film on the Animal Planet channel last night. I never thought before that there might be anything to the myth, but it seems somewhat plausible now. The hardest aspect of the theory to swallow for me is the idea that they could have evolved from humans with their legs evolving into a single tail. The link below has links to a video and some photos of mermaids that are interesting. The film on tv had a short video of a mermaid stranded on a beach with stranded whales.

Here's the link:
http://timenolonger.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -evidence/

While some sites claim the film was a hoax or fiction, the film itself made no such suggestion that I could see. And I don't know why Animal Planet would air the film as if it were factual, if they know it's fiction. Do they normally do things like that? I heard that it also aired on the Discovery Channel.

StevenJay

Re: Mermaids / Merpeople

Unread post by StevenJay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Lloyd wrote:While some sites claim the film was a hoax or fiction, the film itself made no such suggestion that I could see. And I don't know why Animal Planet would air the film as if it were factual, if they know it's fiction. Do they normally do things like that? I heard that it also aired on the Discovery Channel.
It's tel-a-vision, Lloyd. ;) A complete cerebral wasteland wherein fact and fiction are woven together willy-nilly and pretty much nobody notices or cares because the audience has been thoroughly hypnotized into complacency via the relentless redundancy of the mediocre and the mundane. At least, that's been my take on it for a long time.

I abandoned TV over ten years ago. Now, if I walk into a space where one happens to be turned on, after just a few minutes of exposure I feel like I'm in an Idiocracy version The Twilight Zone. :(
It's all about perception.

D_Archer

Re: Mermaids / Merpeople

Unread post by D_Archer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:28 am

Apparantley mermaids where just women foraging for seafood in the waters along the shore.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -