Epilepsy?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

goldentree

Epilepsy?

Unread post by goldentree » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:59 am

This is described as an electrical disorder. I am noticing mild sleep disturbances in two of my children, and I am determined to learn as much as I can. Any links for me? Thanks for your time.

tayga

Re: Epilepsy?

Unread post by tayga » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Sleep disturbance isn't listed here:

http://www.health24.com/medical/Conditi ... ,17518.asp

What led you to believe epilepsy is involved? The crap they put in processed food could cause any number of such symptoms, it's already been shown to be behind ADHD, etc.
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:44 am

On Epilepsy: "The organs of the digestive system (abdomen) were most often cited as the source of the problem" from: http://www.edgarcayce.org/are/holistic_ ... pil3a.html

But as tayga said if it just mild sleep disturbances it is probably not epilepsy.

I would consider something wrong in the diet the first cause of sleep disturbance, the second would be the rythm of the day, is it regular week to week etc.

As for ADHD it is a non-disease, any overactivity is either personality or again wrong diet, sugar (crystal/dextrose), NACL, E-numbers, GMO's, all processed foods, fried foods, any number of other chemicals they put in food, if it is wrapped in plastic and has a barcode, watch out.

Regards,
Daniel

ps. from tayga's link: "Short spells of blank staring that look like daydreaming.", if it is actual daydreaming then it is not a bad thing!
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

goldentree

Unread post by goldentree » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 am

Hi thanks for your timely and thoughtful replies. Our Pediatrician says my kids are at the age where sleep disturbances are considered normal, thank the maker, they are not having seizures. I was really very concerned for my 5 year old because was he shivering, during this episode. Like you all said though I would think it is diet related/metabolism or some understudied endocrine related phenomenon. I am still curious about misfiring brain currents. Does the EU community agree?

Mr_Majestic

Unread post by Mr_Majestic » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:06 am

goldentree wrote:Like you all said though I would think it is diet related/metabolism or some understudied endocrine related phenomenon. I am still curious about misfiring brain currents. Does the EU community agree?
As someone who has non-photo-sensitive epilepsy and makes a point of eating healthily, I can say in all honesty that isn't it, at least not completely and from my unique position. My condition is brought about by a large abnormal growth in my temporal lobe causing too much pressure inside my skull, causing the misfiring as you call it. Thankfully it isn't cancerous (the special dye they inject into you when you have an MRI scan looking for such abnormalities didn't shine like it was supposed to) but it's something that shouldn't be there regardless.

Fun fact for everyone: photo-sensitivity only affects roughly 5% of epilepsy sufferers. You can blame medical dramas like E.R. and House for perpetuating that myth. :geek:

promethean

Unread post by promethean » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:20 pm

Just an historical note...from the Velikovsky Archive :

"But still my thoughts were not exactly conservative. In the tower that was atop the house we rented on Mount Carmel, or in the train I jotted down my thoughts on the mental processes in man. In the summer of 1930 I went to Paris, visiting the Pasteur Institute, and then to Switzerland. There a very nice person, Rivka Schaerf, who later emigrated to Israel and lived in a kibbutz, gave me freely of her time to help me express the concepts in my paper in a more precise form; until then it was only a draft. The work done—I called the paper “Ueber die physikallische Existenz der Gendankenwelt” ("On the Physical Existence of the World of Thought”)—I showed it to Professor Eugen Bleuler. He was the most prominent psychiatrist of his generation; it was his interest in the work of Sigmund Freud, a private scholar, that brought the work of psychoanalysis out of the private domain into the academic circles. In Burghoelzi Krankenhaus the theories of Freud were tried out, and one of Bleuler’s assistants, Carl Jung, soon became the main armorbearer for Freud, only to become a renegade later. As Bleuler did to Freud over twenty years earlier, he did now to me. He showed enthusiasm for my essay and the thoughts it contained, discussed the themata with me at his home in Kuessnacht, close to Zurich, on Zurichsee, and invited me also to follow him to Lucerne, where a psychological convention was to take place. There we met again and he wrote a preface to my paper. In it he said that my work serves science by opening for discussion a region that had previously been taboo.

The main idea of my essay was the unity of mind and matter; thus an idea has a physical existence, and I imagined that the idea of light and the perception of physical light have the same physical existence in the human brain. Memory (mnemes) are are in a sense physical “negatives” of ideas and experiences; and thus I envisaged an artificial memory.

As an addendum to the paper I wrote a preliminary note about the prospects of applying electroencephalography in epileptics and expressed my opinion that strong discharges should characterize the brain waves of epileptics. This I was subsequently able to demonstrate in a series of experiments I performed at Hadassa Hospital in Tel-Aviv. A boy about ten years of age was brought to me from Tiberias. He was having daily epileptic seizures, and was under the care of a pediatrician there. I took this opportunity for recording an early curve of petit mal using a cardiograph adapted for the purpose." Dr. Immanuel Velikovsky
"History teaches everything,even the future." Alphonse de Lamartine (1790-1869)