Black Holes, Unicorns, and All That Stuff

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Black Holes, Unicorns, and All That Stuff

Unread post by davesmith_au » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:40 am

'08 Jun 11 ~ Guest Contribution - Stephen J. Crothers

The notion of black holes voraciously gobbling up matter, twisting space-time into contortions that trap light, stretching the unwary into long spaghetti-like strands as they fall inward to ultimately collide and merge with an infinitely dense point-mass singularity, has become a mantra of the scientific community, so much so that even primary school children know about the sinister black hole, waiting patiently, like the Roman child’s Hannibal, for an opportunity to abduct the unruly and the misbehaved. There are almost daily reports of scientists claiming black holes again found here and there.... [More...]
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

biknewb

Re: Black Holes, Unicorns, and All That Stuff

Unread post by biknewb » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:34 am

Even having already read Stephen's excellent debunking of the feared black hole, I couldn't help laughing at the vision of two black holes in a massless universe... No wonder the lonely bastards feel attracted to eachother... ROFL.

regards

SciRPG

Unread post by SciRPG » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:35 am

This video really made me laugh, this guy (Richard Carrier) is like a Used Car salesman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6FQdyHUXwc

But this is the line of talk I've seen when Black holes come up, Its like a cake, putting icing on it, then patching it up more, and a little more here and there... until its a big blob that isn't even recognized as a cake anymore. Heck you cant even eat it.
~~Richard K~~
3D SciFi Illustration

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:25 am

SciRPG wrote:This video really made me laugh, this guy (Richard Carrier) is like a Used Car salesman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6FQdyHUXwc

But this is the line of talk I've seen when Black holes come up, Its like a cake, putting icing on it, then patching it up more, and a little more here and there... until its a big blob that isn't even recognized as a cake anymore. Heck you cant even eat it.
Yup. Talks fast, talks crap, name-drops, and totally misrepresents the views of those whose names he drops (Aristotle, Paul, etc).
Or, as Steve Earle put it: 'It's called Snake Oil y'all, and it's been around for a very long time'.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.