Hoagland and Martian Rille

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

bdw000

Hoagland and Martian Rille

Unread post by bdw000 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:10 am

Richard Hoagland (of "face on Mars" fame) has a video talking about a martian rille that I remember being a picture of the day here sometime in the last year or two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssq-KqErb3s

It is truly sad seeing someone talk about an "artificially constructed glass tube" when your electric discharge explanation is so darn satisfying.

So very sad.

MGmirkin

Re: Hoagland and Martian Rille

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Well, here's the subject index on rilles:

http://thunderbolts.info/tpod/00subjectx.htm#Rilles

Was there one in particular you were looking for?

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:36 pm

Unfortunately, Hoagland and McCanney are often a bit "out there"...

~Michael
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:09 pm

I agree...

There is nothing wrong with being on the cutting edge as long as you keep your feet on the blade.

I do not mind mental orgies... or even the most esoteric ideas... In fact I myself have many dichotomies running around my head in a "War of Ideas" of sorts... However those two...and others seem to arrive at a conclusion before hand.. then ride it out to the bitter end...which usually starts talking about alien civilizations, their technologies....and even their local sports scores...

In a way they are very similar to their counterparts in the mainstream...

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:18 am

There's always a sense of deja vu when I read Hoaglands stuff (which isnae very often). I feel he just recycles ideas that are old enough so people don't remember the original genesis of the idea, and Hoagland sure as hell aint crediting anyone else.

As somebody else on the forum stated, his stuff stinks of disinformation. Personally, I think he's just having a laugh!

He gives us crackpots a bad name.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

shrunkensimon

Unread post by shrunkensimon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:27 am

Sorry to inject even more paranoia into this thread ( :D ), but the vast majority of alternative websites/media covering conspiracies and such, tend to be disinformation operations, funded by the intelligence services/have agents in their group that are loyal to the intelligence services. Especially the better known and widely recieved websites/"teachers"

The same goes for the mainstream corporate media by the way.. You can bet your bottom dollar that anyone of major importance in the information business, mainstream or alternative, is paid for by the intelligence services, period.

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:26 am

Ha, that's a wee bit too paranoid for me Simon. I tend to think that a couple of million years of evolution seems to have turned our species into arch bullshitters (step forward Al Gore, Nobel prize winner).

One thing I try to bear in mind is how some of the discussion on this website would be viewed by an outsider...one man's mad idea is an another man's reality.

It's interesting that the American military seems to go it's own way when it comes to issues such as anthropogenic global warming and antipodal focusing of meteorite impacts, they were also one of the main customers of Sandia Labratories.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

bdw000

Unread post by bdw000 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:10 pm

MGmirkin wrote:Well, here's the subject index on rilles:

http://thunderbolts.info/tpod/00subjectx.htm#Rilles

Was there one in particular you were looking for?

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
Not looking, thanks, just remembering.

The Hoagland rille looks very much like this one:

http://thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/arch ... crater.htm

Hoagland, like so many, often jumps to conclusions that just aren't supported by the observations.

heretic5

Unread post by heretic5 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:35 pm

bdw000 wrote:Hoagland, like so many, often jumps to conclusions that just aren't supported by the observations.
Speaking of jumping to unwarrented conclusions, here is an official NASA photo of water on Mars.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0504/Wa ... s2_gcc.jpg