Dim New View of Neanderthals

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

tholden

Dim New View of Neanderthals

Unread post by tholden » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 am

Check this out...

http://www.themandus.org/

This is likely to be a popular subject of discussion in the near future, see if you can figure out what all's wrong with it.

303vegas

Re: Dim New View of Neanderthals

Unread post by 303vegas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:54 pm

that's just a picture of an ape...
love from lancashire!

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:51 pm

303vegas wrote:that's just a picture of an ape...
Neanderthal DNA is described as roughly halfway between ours and that of a chimpanzee. What would you expect them to look like?

hex

Unread post by hex » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 pm

tholden wrote:Check this out...

This is likely to be a popular subject of discussion in the near future, see if you can figure out what all's wrong with it.

I guess you disagree with the dating/chronology ...

mague

Unread post by mague » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:23 am

tholden wrote:Check this out...

Populist ? And its not new, it was told in the Gilgamesh epic already :)

Funny thing is that Enkidu and Gilgamesh, wilderness and civilisation, are of equal strenght. What people dont get is, that Enkidu fails because he allows Shamhat do seduce him. Thats why his animal friends leave him and he dies after killing nature guardians for civilised goals. Gilgamesh is depressed about the loss (of his other half) and seeking eternal life which he is never able to obtain. He even looses his magic plant of youth to a serpent while bathing (civilised action).

Later on this was represented by the double snake Aesculap staff. The two opposite waves create a standing wave, the equilibrium of the healthy human, the synthesis of Enkidu and Gilgamesh.

We live in modern times but a disturbed equlibrium still is able to split humans into extremist. And in polarity someone is always charged and forced to release its charge ;) And sooner or later the the one group paints their faces white and blue and the other grow hairy backs.

MrAmsterdam

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 am

tholden wrote:
Neanderthal DNA is described as roughly halfway between ours and that of a chimpanzee. What would you expect them to look like?
Those evil apes look like they are ready to take a bite of a homo sapiens bum, if you ask me. It seems to me those apes are painted a bit too aggressive.

And what about the external influence on DNA? It is not only the pressure or competition in the natural environment that makes the species, but also the influence of electric, magnetic and electromagnetic media in the environment that has an influence on DNA and therefor will push species into a certain direction...
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:58 am

Worst problem: 100,000 Neanderthals have hunted us down to fifty guys and they own the night, and then we wipe them off the Earth... i mean, think really hard and see if you can't figure out what's wrong with that.......

The guy has made several good catches, particularly the thing about the big Neanderthal eye sockets and the question of nocturnalism. Nonetheless the big picture he tries to paint is basically an evoloser fairytale.

As I see it, you didn't have night as we know it before the flood. What the big eyes probably mean, both on Neanderthals and Cro Magnon's, is that at least one of those ice ages was pretty dark.

mague

Unread post by mague » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:45 am

tholden wrote:Worst problem: 100,000 Neanderthals have hunted us down to fifty guys and they own the night, and then we wipe them off the Earth... i mean, think really hard and see if you can't figure out what's wrong with that.......

The guy has made several good catches, particularly the thing about the big Neanderthal eye sockets and the question of nocturnalism. Nonetheless the big picture he tries to paint is basically an evoloser fairytale.

As I see it, you didn't have night as we know it before the flood. What the big eyes probably mean, both on Neanderthals and Cro Magnon's, is that at least one of those ice ages was pretty dark.
:D Who is us ?

Even the nocturnal part is nonsense. Predators follow the prey and not the other way around. Animals turn nocturnal because there are to many hunters at daytime or daytime is to hot. And only once there is nocturnal prey there is a nocturnal hunter appearing. See modern day bear. They turn nocturnal in areas with to many human hunters. Wait a bit and see how the first humans start to hunt bears at night.

I d rather hunt humans at day while they hunt or gather. Its to dangerous to hunt them at night sleeping in a cave with guards at the entrance and a fire burning.

An iceage nocturnal hunter would turn to fair skin and hair. The neanderthal teeth do not fit a predator.

The huge skull/brain volume and the huge eye sockets are a result of hard and cold conditions. Certain birds increase their brain by 10% in winter to be able to memorize spots with food.

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:53 am

mague wrote:
Even the nocturnal part is nonsense. Predators follow the prey and not the other way around. Animals turn nocturnal because there are to many hunters at daytime or daytime is to hot.....
Come on... You're using the word "nonsense" and then writing stuff like that????

No animal ever "turns nocturnal" or ceases to exist during daylight hours and rematerializes at night. Prey animals are there both at night and during the day, the ones which don't see well at night which is most of them are simply easier to hunt at night.

Other than that, I was using the word "US" to indicate modern humans as opposed to a glorified/advanced ape like the Neanderthal.

ElecGeekMom

Unread post by ElecGeekMom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:35 am

Yeah, but there are no canine teeth....

Observist

Unread post by Observist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Aside from Physical differences, One must also take into account the Mental side as well. If I'm not mistaken, All Humans now carry with them the past experience of our ancestors dating back thousands of years.

"NP theory argues that modern human physiology, sexuality, aggression, propensity for inter-group violence and human nature all emerged as a direct consequence of systematic long-term dietary and sexual predation by Eurasian Neanderthals."

A lot of data concerning Human mental evolution doesn't support this Idea at all, Dietary records don't as-well. While the Human nature aspect is understandable, the signs would be apparent if it were true.
“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” - Marcus Aurelius, Roman emperor.

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Observist wrote:Aside from Physical differences, One must also take into account the Mental side as well. If I'm not mistaken, All Humans now carry with them the past experience of our ancestors dating back thousands of years.

"NP theory argues that modern human physiology, sexuality, aggression, propensity for inter-group violence and human nature all emerged as a direct consequence of systematic long-term dietary and sexual predation by Eurasian Neanderthals."

A lot of data concerning Human mental evolution doesn't support this Idea at all, Dietary records don't as-well. While the Human nature aspect is understandable, the signs would be apparent if it were true.
I say again, the guy has made several stunningly good catches, particularly the thing about the big eyes and noncturnalism, but the overall picture he tries to paint is an evolutionite's fairytale.