Earths Magnetic Field

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Sparky

Re: The Sun – Earth - Moon plasma environment

Unread post by Sparky » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:46 am

It is threaded with magnetic fields that are often “frozen” into the plasma-
COLD! REALLY, REALLY COLD!!

It's a good thing they are frozen, because when they thaw they tend to disconnect and whip and thrash about, looking to reconnect.

The scars on the moon show evidence of a whipping by unfrozen magnetic field lines.!

:D
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

mjv1121

Re: The Sun – Earth - Moon plasma environment

Unread post by mjv1121 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Don't mock, these highly prestigious scientists are paid a lot of money for this crap, so please give them the respect they are due.

Did I ever mention that magnetic reconnection is at the top of my hate list - I've even stopped taken it off my Christmas card list.

reka

Magnetosphere

Unread post by reka » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:21 am

Would and could someone direct me to a website, or possibly write to me here the different layers of earth's atmosphere and the temperatures at each level and also the distance each layer covers?

I would really appreciate it
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the ELEMENTS shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up
...But Dmitri Mendeleev didn't establish the periodic table till 1869

Sparky

Re: Magnetosphere

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:38 am

basic info.: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjec ... here.shtml
Ionosphere, the most interesting layer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionosphere

temps. vary in each layer with respect to molecular activity, altitude , how and what is being measured , inclination, and time of day...

example:
Within this layer, temperature increases as altitude increases (see temperature inversion); the top of the stratosphere has a temperature of about 270 K (−3°C or 29.6°F), just slightly below the freezing point of water.[1] The stratosphere is layered in temperature because ozone (O3) here absorbs high energy UVB and UVC energy waves from the Sun and is broken down into atomic oxygen (O) and diatomic oxygen (O2). Atomic oxygen is found prevalent in the upper stratosphere due to the bombardment of UV light and the destruction of both ozone and diatomic oxygen. The mid stratosphere has less UV light passing through it, O and O2 are able to combine, and is where the majority of natural ozone is produced. It is when these two forms of oxygen recombine to form ozone that they release the heat found in the stratosphere. The lower stratosphere receives very low amounts of UVC, thus atomic oxygen is not found here and ozone is not formed (with heat as the byproduct). This vertical stratification, with warmer layers above and cooler layers below, makes the stratosphere dynamically stable: there is no regular convection and associated turbulence in this part of the atmosphere. The top of the stratosphere is called the stratopause, above which the temperature decreases with height.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratosphere
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

reka

Unread post by reka » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:06 pm

THANK YOU! :D
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the ELEMENTS shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up
...But Dmitri Mendeleev didn't establish the periodic table till 1869

emilykrys

Unread post by emilykrys » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:51 am

reka wrote:Would and could someone direct me to a website, or possibly write to me here the different layers of earth's atmosphere and the temperatures at each level and also the distance each layer covers?

I would really appreciate it
This might also help too if you need another resource for information :)

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudent ... f_atm.html

MrAmsterdam

Cluster reveals Earth's bow shock is remarkably thin

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:45 pm

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object ... ctid=49637

Cluster reveals Earth's bow shock is remarkably thin

A new study based on data from ESA's Cluster mission has revealed that the bow shock formed by the solar wind as it encounters Earth's magnetic field is remarkably thin: it measures only 17 kilometres across. Thin astrophysical shocks such as this are candidate sites for early phases of particle acceleration. The finding thus sheds new light on the much debated issue of particle injection in the context of cosmic ray acceleration.

Most baryonic matter in the Universe consists of charged particles and ions – an ionised state of matter known as plasma. Streams of plasma move across the cosmos on all scales, permeating interplanetary space as well as the immense distances that separate stars in a galaxy and galaxies from one another. Shock waves arise when supersonic flows of plasma are faced with an obstacle, such as a planet or a star with a magnetic field, or when they encounter a slower moving flow.

These abrupt transitions between supersonic and subsonic flows have been observed in a variety of cosmic environments, most notably in stellar winds gusting from young and massive stars, in the shell-like remnants of supernova explosions and in the proximity of the lobes and jets emanating from radio galaxies. Observations at radio frequencies, as well as in X-rays and gamma rays, have revealed that shocks are also intimately connected to the origin of cosmic rays, the most energetic particles in the Universe.
-
-
-
Astrophysical shocks are known to be extremely efficient sites for particle acceleration. But the mechanisms through which particles gain such large amounts of energy by interacting with a shock are still unclear. The very early phase of cosmic particle acceleration is one area where questions remain unanswered. While the mechanisms by which particles at a relatively high energy threshold are accelerated to even higher energies are fairly well understood, figuring out how particles can reach this threshold in the first place is much more complex. In other words, how are particles injected into cosmic accelerators?
Plasma descriptions of matter seem to gain in popularity in ESA circles. I just still miss the word electricty.
Does "cosmic ray acceleration" take place in an electric or magnetic field?

Might I suggest ESA to send a couple of Langmuir probes to the area of the "shock bow" ?

PS. What was the goal of the CERN accelerator again? I keep forgetting...and so do a lot of other people...
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

MrAmsterdam

Re: Cluster reveals Earth's bow shock is remarkably thin

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Found a second article
http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEM43EWWVUG_index_0.html

All particle accelerators need some way to begin the acceleration process. For example, the Large Hadron Collider at CERN employs a series of small accelerators to get its particles up to speed before injecting them into the main 27 km-circumference ring for further acceleration.
-
-
-
In space, large magnetic fields guide particles known as cosmic rays across the Universe at almost the speed of light, but are notoriously bad at getting them moving in the first place.

Now ESA's Cluster mission has shown that something similar to the 'staging' process used at CERN is happening above our heads in the natural particle accelerators of space.

On 9 January 2005, Cluster's four satellites passed through a magnetic shock high above Earth. The spinning craft were aligned almost perfectly with the magnetic field, allowing them to sample what was happening to electrons on very short timescales of 250 milliseconds or less.

The measurements showed that the electrons rose sharply in temperature, which established conditions favourable to larger scale acceleration.

It had long been suspected that shocks could do this, but the size of the shock layers and the details of the process had proved difficult to pin down. Not any more.
-
-
-
For example, a supersonic aeroplane collides continuously with the atmosphere before the air has a chance to get out of the way, piling it up into a shock in front of the aircraft that we hear as a sonic boom.

In the Solar System, the Sun gives out a fast-moving, electrically charged wind. As it encounters the magnetic field of Earth, a permanent shock wave is created in front of our planet.

Cluster has been instrumental in studying this phenomenon and the new results in this local environment may be applicable on large scales. Shocks are also found around exploding stars, young stars, black holes and whole galaxies. Space scientists suspect that these may be the origin of the high-energy cosmic rays that fill the Universe.
After reading the second article I do not understand the cause and effect.
Cluster has shown that very narrow shocks may be vital to kick-starting the acceleration process in those locations. It may not be the only way of starting things off, but it is definitely one way of doing it.

"This new result reveals the size of the proverbial 'black box', constraining the possible mechanisms within it involved in accelerating particles," says Matt Taylor, ESA Cluster project scientist.

"Yet again, Cluster has provided us with a clear insight into a physical process that occurs throughout the Universe."
The Large Hadron Collider has an strong electrical and magnetic field in order to get the particles accelerated. There for it is using a large amount of electric energy.

But then in space the causes of this acceleration process are exploding stars, young stars, black holes and whole galaxies...
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

phyllotaxis

Spectacular visualization of Earths magnetosphere "sounds"

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:11 pm

This is to make up for my false solar storm disaster ;)
(I sure wish there were a delete thread option...)

20 Hz
A Semiconductor work by Ruth Jarman and Joe Gerhardt.

Audio Data courtesy of CARISMA, operated by the University of Alberta, funded by the Canadian Space Agency. Special Thanks to Andy Kale.

Made for the exhibition Invisible Fields at Arts Santa Monica in Barcelona Spain.
lighthouse.org.uk/programme/invisible-fields

20 Hz observes a geo-magnetic storm occurring in the Earth's upper atmosphere. Working with data collected from the CARISMA radio array and interpreted as audio, we hear tweeting and rumbles caused by incoming solar wind, captured at the frequency of 20 Hertz. Generated directly by the sound, tangible and sculptural forms emerge suggestive of scientific visualisations. As different frequencies interact both visually and aurally, complex patterns emerge to create interference phenomena that probe the limits of our perception.

05.00 minutes. / HD / 2011
HD single channel and HD 3D single channel.
20Hz is co-commissioned by Arts Santa Monica + Lighthouse . Supported by the British Council.

semiconductorfilms.com/root/20Hz/20Hz.htm
I find it breathtaking, and absolutely mesmerizing.
I hope you will enjoy it...

viscount aero

Re: Spectacular visualization of Earths magnetosphere "sound

Unread post by viscount aero » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:06 am

that's absolutely mind blowing and unreal

tayga

Unread post by tayga » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Clever and fascinating. Nice post ;)
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

flyingcloud

Unread post by flyingcloud » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:58 pm

delicately personified

skelpitheid

Sudden Ionospheric Disturbance

Unread post by skelpitheid » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:55 pm

Over at SpaceWeather they have an interesting report of a sudden radio disturbance coincident with an M2 class flare from sunspot AR1389.
The sun is below the horizon where we are located north of the Arctic Circle. This event shows we still have some contact with the sun.
No shit, Sherlock. Now I wonder what that could be?

:?

Donald.

nick c
Site Admin

Re: Sudden Ionospheric Disturbance

Unread post by nick c » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi Donald,

Do you have a link for that?
thanks,

Nick

skelpitheid

Re: Earths Magnetic Field

Unread post by skelpitheid » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:45 am

http://www.spaceweather.com/

There ya go; not au fait with this posting lark...

:oops:

Donald.