Aboriginal astronomers observed and recorded a 'supernova'

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MrAmsterdam

Aboriginal astronomers observed and recorded a 'supernova'

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 am

Aboriginal astronomers observed and recorded a 'supernova-impostor' event: research

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-abo ... event.html

(PhysOrg.com) -- New research by Macquarie University astronomers Duane Hamacher and David Frew supports the assertion that Aboriginal Australians were active observers of the night sky and incorporated significant astronomical events into their oral traditions.

-

This “supernova-impostor” refers to Eta Carinae, an enigmatic, super-massive binary star system prone to periodic violent outbursts.

“In the 1840s, Eta Carinae underwent a significant outburst, termed the Great Eruption, that released nearly as much energy as a supernova”, said Frew, a post-doctoral Fellow in the Department of Physics & Astronomy.

During this time, Eta Carinae was the brightest star in the night sky after Sirius, before it faded from view 20 years later. The Boorong observed and incorporated this event into their oral history and later shared their astronomical knowledge with the Victorian pastoralist and philanthropist, William Stanbridge, who presented a paper on Boorong astronomy to the Philosophical Institute of Victoria in 1857.

“It seems Stanbridge was completely unaware of Eta Carinae, its outburst, or of the significance of the Boorong recording the event”, said Hamacher, a PhD candidate in the Department of Indigenous Studies researching Aboriginal Astronomy.

It only took 150 years for someone to finally make the connection!
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

kiwi

Re: Aboriginal astronomers observed and recorded a 'supernova'

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:26 am

interesting article Mr A ..... I wonder if they ever looked seriously at the site discovered by Len Beadell while surveying for the British A bomb test series, an unusual site just South of the EMU blast point,given the name "Australia's Stonehenge"... very hard to find any info on it, apart from Len's own description from the time,...interesting people the Aborigine's :)

Jarvamundo

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Physorg now going interdisciplinary? :shock:

Surely if 'oral' traditions are now accepted for consideration, it is not extraordinary to consider a comparative study of similarities of rock carving / painting / sculpture evidence from prior civilizations, and also exploring the literary records of celestial events.

It can not be avoided. It's good to see physorg exploring these ideas.

I'd love to see PhysOrg explore what celestial event a 'rainbow serpent' corresponds to! 8-)
http://thunderbolts.info/tpod/2010/arch ... caping.htm
Throughout Australia, the ‘rainbow serpent’ bears an intricate relationship to the lightning. An example is Borlung, the rainbow serpent as known to communities from Arnhem Land, which was stated to take 'the form of the lightning-bolt which heralds the approach of the monsoon rains'.

The conjecture that many mythical snakes or dragons signify bright plasma filaments observed at times in the earth’s atmosphere successfully accounts for a large number of traditions. In many cases, the assumption of a mundane sighting of an auroral band, ray or curtain suffices. In other cases, specifically where the ‘deep’ mythology of creation is concerned, more intense types of plasma activity must be imagined.
http://www.alqpottery.com/pdfs/Peratt,e ... er=4287017
SEE PAGES 26 --> onwards
One of the better known pictographs, occurring often in
Aborigine mythology, are the striped “Lightning Brothers,”
latitude 15◦ S (Fig. 73), which can be replicated by looking
nearly straight into the plasma columns shown in Fig. 68, right,
with the Birkeland currents incoming toward Antarctica making
up the torsos of the figures. The dark stripe running vertically
in the figures, toward the “nose,” is the dense central region of
the plasma column.
Characteristics for the Occurrence of a High-Current
Z -Pinch Aurora as Recorded in Antiquity Part II:
Directionality and Source
Anthony L. Peratt, Fellow, IEEE, John McGovern, Alfred H. Qöyawayma, Life Member, IEEE,
Marinus Anthony Van der Sluijs, and Mathias G. Peratt, Member, IEEE

kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:14 pm

I came across this film on Y-tube regards the Leyland brothers journey across Aus in 1966 .... have a look at 3:56 mark and then stop the vid at 3:41 ... Aboriginal geometry? ... or are what looks like arrows bird-footprints? ... would be good to find our exactly what tribe is responsible for this and is it a common style amongst all tribes? ... I have seen quite a bit of Aboriginal art but this I have not seen before ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3NfoPuTdPI

also this clip below has great footage of the Kimberly rock-art,.....(in the early part of the clip)
what look like wide eyes and straight-line noses (on the "faces") could also represent something else?

quite a good sound track also 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h94R8ziRk2s

MrAmsterdam

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:43 am

->----<- ?

That figure is another representation of the thunderbolt, if you ask me.

For example, if you search on google for "tibetaan Dorje" or "zeus thunderbolt" you will find simular figures ;-)
http://www.google.com/images?q=Tibetan+Dorje

Or here, a simular picture of Zeus holding his thunderbolt ;-)
Cover240.jpg
Cover240.jpg (7.48 KiB) Viewed 11415 times
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:17 pm

That figure is another representation of the thunderbolt, if you ask me.
me too ... Im not asking Jarva anything again :cry: .... and as long as I dont click his link my fantasy lives on ;)

Jarvamundo

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:27 am

They teach us to track early down here... at age 6, most aussies can track an emu 10k away... all this before they teach you to ride a roo to school, and catch a drop bear mid flight.

... this i'll blow ya mind tho... that sound track is performed by 1 guy... live

MrAmsterdam

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 am

->- is an Emu track
->----<- two Emu's walking away from eachother after an argument?

I read that the point with a circle arround it COULD be a symbol for stars....

Ofcourse, its just a hopeful guess of mine...

kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:58 am

Jarvamundo wrote:They teach us to track early down here... at age 6, most aussies can track an emu 10k away... all this before they teach you to ride a roo to school, and catch a drop bear mid flight.

... this i'll blow ya mind tho... that sound track is performed by 1 guy... live
it did blow my mind, ... its the track from the Kimberleys link I put above , this one,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h94R8ziRk2s

almost everyone comments on the soundtrack (on other places around the net I have posted it) ... powerful digeridoo there! 8-)

Its interesting to read the papers by the early anthropoligists that lived with the native Australians, .... their telepathetic abillity was taken for granted as it was experienced by the scientists on a regular basis, as well as the abillity to heal their sick by "singing" .... more to this world than meets the eye :shock:
I read that the point with a circle arround it COULD be a symbol for stars....

have you a link to that Mr A? ... cheers