Max-Planck's Cartoon Capers - an Hilarious Black Hole Tale

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Max-Planck's Cartoon Capers - an Hilarious Black Hole Tale

Unread post by davesmith_au » Thu May 01, 2008 8:07 pm

'08 May 02 ~ davesmith_au

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. Somewhere in the halls of Max-Planck lurks an artist who was actually paid to give us this cartoon. I laughed out loud when I first saw it on spacedaily, as has everyone I've shown it to. And who wouldn't... [More...]
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Plasmatic

Re: Max-Planck's Cartoon Capers - an Hilarious Black Hole Tale

Unread post by Plasmatic » Thu May 01, 2008 8:40 pm

How did the galaxy excape the thing nothing can excape from??? :lol:
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Thu May 01, 2008 8:52 pm

From the original press release:
If the kick velocity is high enough, the black hole can escape the galaxy completely.
We now have some new scientific terminology in cosmology - "kick velocity" and "superkick" - next the things will be scoring goals... :lol:

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri May 02, 2008 4:46 am

Plasmatic wrote
How did the galaxy excape the thing nothing can excape from???
The Black Hole probably allowed it to. Black Holes can do anything. Didn't you know that?
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri May 02, 2008 4:50 am

Dave Smith wrote
We now have some new scientific terminology in cosmology - "kick velocity" and "superkick" - next the things will be scoring goals...
Maybe that's something else we could start - a 'scientific' glossary or lexicon.

Really enjoyed the Thunderblog but thought you were unnecessarily unkind to cartoonists. The person who did the image was a harteest.

Max Planck must be spinning in his grave.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Fri May 02, 2008 5:51 pm

I've been laughing at this for some three days now. Along with the 'black hole catapult' thread I can't even post because I'm laughing so hard by the time I'm done reading your comments.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

bdw000

Unread post by bdw000 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:32 am

Are they really claiming to have OBSERVED gravity waves?

Or are they just playing fast and loose with the language?

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sat May 03, 2008 3:33 pm

bdw000 wrote:Are they really claiming to have OBSERVED gravity waves?

Or are they just playing fast and loose with the language?
Oh I doubt that "gravity waves" were detected. That would've been the media event of the century.

It sounds to me that they're looking at the ejection of plasmoids via galaxial 'plasma gun' type action and overlaying the gravity induced "black hole" assumption. That, or convoluting Arp's quasar ejection model. They haven't said which galaxy for which this has been observed, and there're no accompanying photos. The entirety of it is pure conjecture based on every gravitational overindulgence that we've ever noted. It's gotten so bad that to 'Them' the event has actually "...been observed in nature for the first time."

Remember, "...up to now they had only been simulated in supercomputers". And, as Fred Hoyle once said, 'They already know what they're looking for; so they just put it in there'. Therefore, it wasn't a matter of looking for what was there. It was a matter of looking for and expecting what the gravity only supercomputer model had already told them would be there!!

So, that's what they found. There was, and is, no interest in observing what is actually occurring when you anticipate and look for events that 'fit' the model. One is predisposed to find the model, not the reality. The supposed findings are the result of an utter and complete psychosis.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Sun May 04, 2008 1:56 pm

Apologies ahead of time to Mr. Ed (60's sitcom) theme song writers:
"A hoax is a hoax, of coax of coax."
Like the talking horse, black holes only reveal their secrets to those who believe in them.
I knew when black holes first "came out" that astrophysics had fallen into a bottomless chasm.
The funny thing is that even the concept of cause and effect disappeared into the abyss with hardly so much as a whimper from an otherwise pretty intelligent science community. X-ray the event horizon and you see all the way through the misconception to what either appears as a bright glowing center (maybe the next Twinkie sensation can be called Black Holes -- this cupcake will probably have the longest shelflife of any stupid idea in science history :lol: ) or to a virtually empty region, a truly black hole. Another problem...some spiral galaxies have alleged black holes in the center, while others that look virtually identical do not. Someone is messing up in the product quality control department.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Dave,
Several nights ago here in the u.s. there was a Nova special on PBS on the subject of b-holes. Their description of what would happen if two colided was somewhat different but still it sounded like fiction and an attempt to sound persuasive and knowledgeable.
Most of it went over my head. d...z

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blackhole