Electric Meteors and Meteorites

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

webolife

Re: Impact in Colombia

Unread post by webolife » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 am

Squatter Man's penis? :o

No, I have to agree with one of the comments that it is a jet contrail reflecting sunset lighting above the lower level foreground clouds. It would be nice to know the orientation of the videographer.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

ElecGeekMom

Unread post by ElecGeekMom » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:16 pm

Remember that recent photo of the sunspot?

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2010/2 ... ha4i3qh8d7

That video of the strand of light in the sky makes me think of the filamentary structures on the edge of sunspots, as described on this page:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/spac ... 726073.htm

It's as if that strand might be similar to what we would see if we were beneath the open edge of a sunspot.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:10 pm

"Theoretical arguments suggest that there are magnetic structures on scales as small as a kilometre or less," wrote Thomas. The filaments observed are typically 150 to 180 km wide, and their dark cores are less than 90 km wide.
No doubt these 'magnetic structures are 'frozen into the plasma' by the billions of tillions... :lol:
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

fosborn

Carancas meteorite (Peru Meteorite)

Unread post by fosborn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:31 pm

[/quote]<<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carancas_impact_event>>

<<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2008/pdf/2409.pdf
"The Carancas impact crater
(just before noon on September 15, 2007) should not
have happened. It is widely known that only iron
meteorites are strong enough to survive atmospheric
entry and produce small craters. The Carancas
meteorite, however, is reported to be an H4/5 chondrite
and formed a crater nearly 15m in diameter [1]. Not
only did it did not disperse in the atmosphere before
striking the surface, but the collision was witnessed by
local inhabitants, detected by infrasound, and sampled
soon after impact "[1].
"The survival of this amount of material is consistent
with the derived impact speed [2] and raises a
significant question for the surface of Mars. Current
missions are discovering small (20 m) craters with
blast zones, blocky rays, and near-rim ejecta. Prior
studies have emphasized the important collective
contribution of small-size meteorites".>>
[quote]

I was wondering if there is anyone who might have insight into the electrical interpretation of this event? A question in mind, can electrical (or electromagnetic) properties of the object act to maintain its physical structure during the 15000 mph desent? Is it possible an electromagnetic pinch could shape it more aerodynamically? Could the pre impact explosion have been a discharge(not a reflected pressure front)?

fosborn

Re: Carancas meteorite (Peru Meteorite)

Unread post by fosborn » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:12 pm

<<Is it possible an electromagnetic pinch could shape it more aerodynamically? >>

OK, dumb question. :(

But, why O why ? or, how did this rock make it to ground level?

Did it really have a velocity they estimated at impact?

nick c
Site Admin

Re: Electric Meteorites paper? Cool!

Unread post by nick c » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:21 pm

This thread is combination of the following threads:

Antarctic Meteor and Martian "Tunnels"

The 2008 Perseid Meteor Shower

Meteor Triggers Earthquake?

Carancas meteorite (Peru Meteorite)

Electric Meteorites paper? Cool!

Impact in Colombia

Ontario Meteorite

Meteors Electromagnetic effects caught on Video!

Meteor Showers

Nickel-Iron meteorites - questions

MrAmsterdam

Re: Electric Meteors and Meteorites

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Mon May 09, 2011 7:24 am

Listening to Leonids

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... st26nov_1/

November 26, 2001: All at once there was a eye-squinting flash of light and a strange crackling noise. Puzzled sky watchers looked at one another ... and confessed: "Yes, I heard it, too."

Hearing meteors? It could happen -- and indeed it did, plenty of times during this month's Leonid meteor storm.
-

"I am sure I could hear several of the meteors," recalled Karen Newcombe, a Leonid watcher from San Francisco -- one of many who reported meteor sounds to Science@NASA on Nov. 18th. "Several times when a Leonid with a persistent debris train flew directly overhead, I heard a faint fizzing noise [instantly]." There was no delay between the sight and the sound.

"How is that possible when the meteor was so many miles above my head?" she wondered.

The same question has bedeviled some of history's greatest scientists. For example, in 1719 astronomer Edmund Halley collected accounts of a widely-observed fireball over England. Many witnesses, wrote Halley, "[heard] it hiss as it went along, as if it had been very near at hand." Yet his own research proved the meteor was at least "60 English miles" high. Sound takes about five minutes to travel such a distance, while light can do it in a fraction of a millisecond. Halley could think of no way for sky watchers to simultaneously hear and see the meteor.

Baffled, he finally dismissed the reports as "pure fantasy" -- a view that held sway for centuries.

-

Here's how it works: Radio waves induce currents in electrical conductors. "Strong, low-frequency currents can literally shake ordinary objects," explains Dennis Gallagher, a space physicist at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. "When things shake, they launch vibrations into the air, which is what we hear."

-

When a meteoroid races through Earth's atmosphere, the air around it becomes a plasma -- that is, a cloud of ionized gas. Plasmas have a curious property: Lines of magnetic force that permeate them become trapped. Wherever the plasma goes, the magnetic field follows. If a magnetized plasma becomes turbulent, the magnetic fields inside it become twisted and tangled as well.

The plasma tails of certain meteors do become turbulent, says Keay, and they are permeated by a magnetic field: Earth's. "The plasma is swirling so fast that the magnetic field can be scrambled up like spaghetti." And therein lies a source of energy for VLF waves.

Keay continues: Eventually the plasma cools. Electrons return to the atoms from which they were earlier ripped, and the gas becomes neutral again. Magnetic fields find themselves suddenly free to straighten out. That abrupt rebound is what produces the low frequency radiation.
This makes me wonder how a meteoroid would interact with a low density cold plasma medium: space.

Does a meteoroid also create EM radiation in space when traveling through a cold low density ionised gas medium?

Remember;
"Theoretical arguments suggest that there are magnetic structures on scales as small as a kilometre or less," wrote Thomas. The filaments observed are typically 150 to 180 km wide, and their dark cores are less than 90 km wide.
I think there are at least 3 parameters in this equation. The matter( the substance the meteor is made of), the size of the object (which I suggest would even less then 90 kilometers wide, lets say a size of a meteoroid) and the surrounding medium of the meteor (this could be gas, but also plasma fields of different states and densities)

Is it possible to come up with a practical laboratory experiment which would describe all properties of this natural meteor plasma phenomena?
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

D_Archer

Argentina Meteor

Unread post by D_Archer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:30 am

- Shoot Forth Thunder -

StevenJay

Re: Argentina Meteor

Unread post by StevenJay » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:27 am

D_Archer wrote:Such a bright flash for such a tiny object?
Same goes for an arc welder. ;)
It's all about perception.

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Could someone please put up a video of an arc welding flash seen from many miles away?

How about a side by side comparison of this object and a space craft re-entry...

I am not convinced.

The word under-reporting or down-playing could clearly be a part of the mission statement
for the astronomical community, except when it about one of there pet theories.

30cm ????? what a load of bull.

Show us the calculations, abscent of dogmatic underpinnings.

Are we seeing more events becuase there are more cameras
in the hands of people and because of the simplicity to get the footage to the world or
is earth passing through a portion of space with a lot of debris? d...z

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 am

I counted three distinct discharges, the large one first, then 2 smaller ones after. Seems like a pattern that repeats with most meteorites, 3.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 am

D_Archer wrote:I counted three distinct discharges, the large one first, then 2 smaller ones after. Seems like a pattern that repeats with most meteorites, 3.

Regards,
Daniel
Why do you use the word dischages? Are you speaking in an electrical sense?
Explosions are not necessarily discharges. From one segment of the video we
are given a hint of an effect which was claimed to point to a discharge at the
russian event but is more likely the reflection of light off the ground to
produce an hour-glass feature momentarily in the video. Its rapid disappearance
offers support to this suggestion. d...z

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:08 am

dahlenaz wrote: Why do you use the word discharges? Are you speaking in an electrical sense?
Because the bolide discharges and yes.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:31 pm

D_Archer wrote:
dahlenaz wrote: Why do you use the word discharges? Are you speaking in an electrical sense?
Because the bolide discharges and yes.

Regards,
Daniel
As much as i would like to accept this notion,,,, i am not yet convinced.
Evidence has yet to be brought fourth that makes a stong enough case
to speak with such confidence about what is happeneing from an electrical
perspective during these events.

If it is just a stance at a theoretical level rather than one from direct
data accumulation then such statements should be foot-noted to be fair
to this groups other scientific areas of investigation.

The lack of attention to these events, from the principles, seems to hint
at uncertainty or a conservative possition. d...z