What produces consciousness?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

StevenJay

Re: Rather Than: What produces consciousness?. . .

Unread post by StevenJay » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:33 am

StevenO wrote:Your subconscience hides the echo's.
It's my perception that we ARE the echos - the reflections. And by "we," I'm not just referring to humans, but ALL manifest expressions of Consciousness. 8-)
It's all about perception.

StevenO

Re: Rather Than: What produces consciousness?. . .

Unread post by StevenO » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:02 am

StevenJay wrote:
StevenO wrote:Your subconscience hides the echo's.
It's my perception that we ARE the echos - the reflections. And by "we," I'm not just referring to humans, but ALL manifest expressions of Consciousness. 8-)
Does it make any difference? Remember there is always at least two sides to one perspective...
First, God decided he was lonely. Then it got out of hand. Now we have this mess called life...
The past is out of date. Start living your future. Align with your dreams. Now execute.

StevenJay

Re: What produces consciousness?

Unread post by StevenJay » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:14 pm

StevenO wrote:there is always at least two sides to one perspective...
I totally disagree! A perspective is a "point" of view. And a point has no lateral dimensions. ;)

StevenO

Unread post by StevenO » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:20 pm

StevenJay wrote:
StevenO wrote:there is always at least two sides to one perspective...
I totally disagree! A perspective is a "point" of view. And a point has no lateral dimensions. ;)
If you believe a point has no dimensions why do you read Thunderbolts? That's mainstream crap.
Or to rephrase it: your consciousness will need physical extension even if you believe it to be a point. It will not experience physical sensations without having a size.
First, God decided he was lonely. Then it got out of hand. Now we have this mess called life...
The past is out of date. Start living your future. Align with your dreams. Now execute.

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:02 am

StevenO wrote:If you believe a point has no dimensions why do you read Thunderbolts?
In order to subjectively experience it from my "point of view," which is, ultimately, the only view I have of anything. 8-)

Wolfgang1949

Unread post by Wolfgang1949 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:16 pm

I have just become acquainnted with the books of physicist, Amit Goswami, and I think his ideas may answer your question. He asserts that consciousness is the precursor to everything else in the Universe. By the way, I am new here. Greetings to you all!
All the best!
Wolfgang aka Wolfy

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Wolfgang1949 wrote:I have just become acquainnted with the books of physicist, Amit Goswami, and I think his ideas may answer your question. He asserts that consciousness is the precursor to everything else in the Universe.
Welcome aboard the good ship Thunderbolts, Wolfy. :) Goswami's material (as well as Michael Talbot's) was among some of the first that my wife and I explored together back in the mid-90s. I too, agree with his assertion. 8-)

Wolfgang1949

Unread post by Wolfgang1949 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi Steven!
And thanks for the kind welcome!
Do you know if the Thunderbolt scientists interact much or address the issues raised by Goswami and Michael Talbot? And are the EM filaments that stretch thru space conscious or intentional entities?
Wolfy

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:01 am

Wolfgang1949 wrote: Do you know if the Thunderbolt scientists interact much or address the issues raised by Goswami and Michael Talbot? And are the EM filaments that stretch thru space conscious or intentional entities?
Wolfy
I know that EU enthusiasts tend to wisely steer clear of topics that require answers that are currently non-falsifiable or unknowable.

Personally, and for what it's worth, I feel that everything represents conscious intention.

Wolfgang1949

Unread post by Wolfgang1949 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:31 am

StevenJay wrote:
Wolfgang1949 wrote: Do you know if the Thunderbolt scientists interact much or address the issues raised by Goswami and Michael Talbot? And are the EM filaments that stretch thru space conscious or intentional entities?
Wolfy
I know that EU enthusiasts tend to wisely steer clear of topics that require answers that are currently non-falsifiable or unknowable.

Personally, and for what it's worth, I feel that everything represents conscious intention.
I agree!! The more I think about it, the more I think that consciousness is the actual substrate upon which all the actual structures and processes of the universe emerge. I am also wondering if Goswami and Michael Talbot have investigated the Thuncerbolts theory to any great degree. It would be a great meetinng of the minds to have all these people in one place!! Michael Talbot does discuss filaments stretching across galaxies on pages 137-8 of his book, Beyond the Quantum. He states: "Similarly, there is a great consensus among cosmologists that galaxies also link together into a subtle network of filaments and voids that gravitational forces alone do not seem capable of explaining."

JaJa

Unread post by JaJa » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:40 am

The one (1) substance that remains consistent in all people when everything else such as gender, height, weight, colour of skin, colour of eyes and knowledge that has been re-discovered is stripped away, is "consciousness". Is consciousness expressing itself through many different forms so that it can know itself? As "one" substance how could it become self "aware"? It would have no means of looking at itself, in the same manner you can't look at your own eyeball without a mirror. Are the different forms the mirrors? Must there be at least "two" parts (the duality) for there to be self awareness, if not, how can one thing know itself?

If this "one" substance with near infinite power (I say "near" infinite because to say infinite would suggest it has reached some kind of boundary right) knows everything and all there is too know because it IS everything and all there is to know, how would it create "finite" experiences? Are these finite experiences a distraction, a state in which it can forget, at least temporarily, the magnitude of what it really is? I read stuff where people whoop "we're immortal - yay" but do they really understand what they are saying... that there is no end to it... ever! Eventually, wouldn't you get bored and fed up?

How could a substance that by defintion is "everything" - forget what it is? Could it contract, i.e. squeeze or pinch itself to such a degree that the knowledge of "everything" is compacted into a thread of light that is so narrow that its field of vision is reduced to the point where it effectively becomes knowledge-less? After which, that thread of light (knowledge) slowly begins to expand or unfold?
Omnia in numeris sita sunt

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:31 am

JaJa wrote:I read stuff where people whoop "we're immortal - yay" but do they really understand what they are saying... that there is no end to it... ever! Eventually, wouldn't you get bored and fed up?

How could a substance that by defintion is "everything" - forget what it is?
Hi, JaJa -

As I see it, both boredom and forgetfulness are human perceptions based within the limitation of our particular construct. Both questions arise from the perspective of the "reflection" rather than from that which is being reflected. :)

JaJa

Unread post by JaJa » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:49 am

Hi, JaJa -

As I see it, both boredom and forgetfulness are human perceptions based within the limitation of our particular construct. Both questions arise from the perspective of the "reflection" rather than from that which is being reflected. :)
hi stevenj

wat makes you think the perpective of the reflection is different from that which is looking in the mirror so to speak?

8-)

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:41 pm

JaJa wrote:wat makes you think the perpective of the reflection is different from that which is looking in the mirror so to speak?
Well, for one thing, that which is being reflected holds sole control over what is reflected, and can walk away from the mirror at any time. The reflection, on the other hand, can no more walk away from the mirror than a shadow can walk away from that which casts it. ;)

JaJa

Unread post by JaJa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:46 am

hi stevenj you originally said;
As I see it, both boredom and forgetfulness are human perceptions based within the limitation of our particular construct. Both questions arise from the perspective of the "reflection" rather than from that which is being reflected
and then...
Well, for one thing, that which is being reflected holds sole control over what is reflected, and can walk away from the mirror at any time. The reflection, on the other hand, can no more walk away from the mirror than a shadow can walk away from that which casts it. ;)
If the object that casts the shadow has sole control over its shadow, why is the shadow doing a different dance to the object, i'm confused? :oops: