What produces consciousness?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

moses

Re: What produces consciousness?

Unread post by moses » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Unfortunately I didn't mention perhaps the key element into what happens to consciousness at conception. Through the genes of DNA there is a connection to the experiences, and so perhaps also the experiencing or consciousness, of all the ancestors that had that gene. Now a drama for the body is also a drama for consciousness, so that extreme pain will cause a block in consciousness, as well as physical repression in the brain and epigenetic changes. There is then an enormous amount of blockage that needs to be cleared, in the form of all those ancestral traumatic experiences which we are connected to via our DNA.

And so again I say that the ancient catastrophes that EU indicates, are so important to consider. Because through understanding what happened allows access to the blockages. And by clearing the blockages in consciousness allows the experiencing of the greater consciousness. Also bodily electric currents increase as the physical epigenetic changes are neutralised. This is kundalini.

So we can find out what produces consciousness by clearing the blockages in consciousness.
Mo

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 am

GaryN wrote:Soul Survivor - Reincarnated World War II pilot?

Certainly seems genuine, and is not the first claim of this type, but perhaps the most detailed examination of such.

There are other reviews of this case, but here is an ABC TV video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72oCyrbgN_I
1) Consider the source (a ratings hungry television program, from ABC specifically; as if it matters)
2) Why media publicity for such a personal, private matter as a past life? $$$, possibly? A certain case of $ signs and a "Balloon Boy" in Denver, CO, comes to mind. Maybe not as blatant a craving for publicity and cash, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes?
3) http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2005 ... ion_a.html, for at least one alternate perspective
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 am

<soapbox>

The past, whether ancient or not; whether drama-filled and catastrophic, whether glorious, or whether of the rather mundane, peaceful type is DEAD and gone. Let it go, say I. It's that simple. Not very exotic or entertaining or lucrative, maybe. But very liberating, imo and experience. Anything else, besides truly honoring the past by simply letting go of it (digging into the specifics and the [over] analyzing of it NOT required), to me borders on an unwholesome, morbid curiosity if not obsession. Been there, done that. No more, thank you.

The present moment is sufficient unto itself, is entirely whole, and lacks nothing -- if it is only recognized, allowed, and accepted.
Alan Watts wrote:
Yesterday doesn't exist, tomorrow never comes. There is only today.
</soapbox>
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:02 am

Alan Watts wrote:

Yesterday doesn't exist, tomorrow never comes. There is only today
Tomorrow Comes A Day Too Soon - Flogging Molly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNNDMEgV ... re=related
;)
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

StevenO

Unread post by StevenO » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:30 am

The "now" is a play presented to our consciousness by the rest of our body -- Ab Dijksterhuis
First, God decided he was lonely. Then it got out of hand. Now we have this mess called life...
The past is out of date. Start living your future. Align with your dreams. Now execute.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:22 am

StevenO wrote:The "now" is a play presented to our consciousness by the rest of our body -- Ab Dijksterhuis
Hi Steven,
Rubbish. :) Your body is a play presented by your consciousness. :geek:
And your sig is wrong too. :o The past belongs to life and the future to death. :ugeek:
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:
StevenO wrote:The "now" is a play presented to our consciousness by the rest of our body -- Ab Dijksterhuis
Hi Steven,
And your sig is wrong too. :o The past belongs to life and the future to death. :ugeek:
Whoa - parry and thrust. . . and thrust again! :? Bwah-ha-ha-ha-a-a-a! :twisted: :P
It's all about perception.

StevenO

Unread post by StevenO » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:
Hi Steven,
As usual you have everything backwards :D Must be your age starting to show... Did'nt you learn that everything is relative since 1905?
First, God decided he was lonely. Then it got out of hand. Now we have this mess called life...
The past is out of date. Start living your future. Align with your dreams. Now execute.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 pm

StevenO wrote:
Grey Cloud wrote:
Hi Steven,
As usual you have everything backwards :D Must be your age starting to show... Did'nt you learn that everything is relative since 1905?
As far as I am concerned the world's had it backwards since Aristotle, never mind Einstein. :(
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm

StevenJay wrote:
Grey Cloud wrote:
Hi Steven,
Whoa - parry and thrust. . . and thrust again! :? Bwah-ha-ha-ha-a-a-a! :twisted: :P
:lol: It does, indeed, take two to fully tango.

Both viewpoints are, incredibly or not, vicey-versey; not one-or-the-other.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 pm

If the past is what the present was and the future is the present to be, the present seems to be between the future and the past.
But when the past is not and the future is not, where is the present supposed to be?
There is no future, there is no past, there is no present.
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:58 am

StefanR wrote:There is no future, there is no past, there is no present.
Guess that's that, then. :lol:

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:05 am

arc-us wrote:
StefanR wrote:There is no future, there is no past, there is no present.
Guess that's that, then. :lol:
For now at least. :)
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

StevenO

Unread post by StevenO » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:12 am

StefanR wrote:If the past is what the present was and the future is the present to be, the present seems to be between the future and the past.
But when the past is not and the future is not, where is the present supposed to be?
Ah, somebody thoroughly confused :mrgreen: We are doing great then :D

Let me try to explain it: the now is the world presented to you at lightspeed since that is the smallest timescale we can use in this universe. But timescales are relative, just like viewpoints. So depending on the viewpoint you could well be considered immortal. :ugeek: Time to slow down... ;)

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:29 am

StevenO wrote:
StefanR wrote:If the past is what the present was and the future is the present to be, the present seems to be between the future and the past.
Ah, somebody thoroughly confused :mrgreen: We are doing great then :D

Let me try to explain it: the now is the world presented to you at lightspeed since that is the smallest timescale we can use in this universe. But timescales are relative, just like viewpoints. So depending on the viewpoint you could well be considered immortal. :ugeek: Time to slow down ;)
Au contraire, Blackadder! The now is the world as perceived by you at lightspeed since that is the best your visual sense can do*. :P
Darkness has no need for speed because it doesn't go from or to anywhere; it just is.
Similarly with sound and silence. :geek:

* This only applies if one accepts the scientific explanation of how light and vision works. ;)
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.