Electric Weather

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

redeye

Re: Electric Weather

Unread post by redeye » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:42 am

Here in Britain we have been in the grips of the worst cold period there has been in my lifetime, which isn't all that long really. I've read that this is due to a kink in the jet stream causing winds to be pushing out over the arctic and in from the east and Scandinavia. In Scotland we usually get temperate, wet air pushing in from the west.

I was wondering if the change in the jet stream could be influenced by the recent reduction in Solar magnetism as per Birkelands terrela experiments:

We will now pass on to experiments that in my opinion have brought about the most important discoveries in the long chain of experimental analogies to terrestrial and cosmic phenomena that I have produced. In the experiments represented in figs. 248 a-e, there are some small white patches on the globe, which are due to a kind of discharge that, under ordinary circumstances, is disruptive, and which radiates from points on the cathode. If the globe has a smooth surface and is not magnetised, the disruptive discharges come rapidly one after another, and are distributed more or less uniformly all over the globe (see a). On the other hand, if the globe is magnetised, even very slightly, the patches from which the disruptive discharges issue, arrange themselves then in two zones parallel with the magnetic equator of the globe; and the more powerfully the globe is magnetised, the nearer do they come to the equator (see b, c, d). With a constant magnetisation, the zones of patches will be found near the equator if the discharge-tension is low, but far from the equator if the tension is high.
From plasma-universe.com: Texts:On Possible Electric Phenomena in Solar Systems and Nebulae
I posted this in the winter, we are still getting winds from the North and East. This is very unusual as our weather systems usually consist of warm wet air coming from the west courtesy of the gulf stream. It has also been one of the coldest, dryest years I can remember.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

Komorikid

Re: Electric Weather

Unread post by Komorikid » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:05 pm

I was wondering if the change in the jet stream could be influenced by the recent reduction in Solar magnetism as per Birkelands terrela experiments:
Piers Corbyn predicted at the time of the recent Coronal Hole that it would cause drastic changes in the behavior of jet stream and it did happen.

His predictive record is beyond anything currently being used by all current Met Services.

http://www.weatheraction.com/docs/WANews10No20.pdf
Fiction can't be proven. Fact can't be denied - Paul M

Adolfo Giurfa

Re: In Slumber, Sun Reveals Effects on Earth's Climate!

Unread post by Adolfo Giurfa » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:33 pm

@MGmirkin This is it!, everything else in earth's climate is but a consequence of these movements. The beauty of simplicity to the highest degree!

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:45 am

I knew i had read this somewhere before. It's about time Kristian Birkeland got the recognition he deserves...and MG Mirkin for making the link. Genius!

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:39 pm

There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Anaconda wrote:

Sun at minimum -- Sun at maximum -- is there a significant difference in output of energy -- you make the call.
Is ol' Sol having bad dreams, as he slumbers ?

The timing of these events suggest they are connected, and a review of SDO movies strengthens that conclusion. Despite the ~400,000 km distance between them, the sunspot and filament seem to erupt together; they are probably connected by long-range magnetic fields. In this movie (171 Å), a shadowy shock wave (a "solar tsunami") can be seen emerging from the flare site and rippling across the northern hemisphere into the filament's eruption zone. That may have helped propel the filament into space.
http://sdowww.lmsal.com/sdomedia/ssw/ss ... 0000_m.mpg

Dotini

Unread post by Dotini » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:15 pm

http://welcometoafreeworld.blogspot.com ... d-for.html

It's thrown off a CME which will hit tomorrow, August 3rd.

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:43 pm

they are probably connected by long-range magnetic fields
They're starting to catch on. Although it's more like "connected by long range electric fields, current filaments and the magnetic fields they generate". ;)

Dotini. :roll:

Good grief, Michio "Dr. Doom" Kaku? He still be hangin' with the talking heads on Faux News I see.

For "real news" about solar and geomagnetic activity try solarcycle24.com ...or SpaceWeather.com if one prefers a bit more mainstream hype.
An aurora watch is in effect for within 48-72 hours with the expected arrival of a few CME's caused by a C3.2 Flare and Exploding solar filament on Sunday. There will be a chance for minor geomagnetic storming and a small possibility of major geomegnetic storming at high latitudes.
Geophysical Activity Forecast: Geomagnetic field activity is expected to be at unsettled to active levels on day 1 (03 August) due to the arrival of the first of two CMEs observed on 01 August (this CME was associated with the long-duration C3/Sf flare at 01/0826Z). Activity is expected to be at active to minor storm levels with a slight chance for major storm on days 2 - 3 (04 - 05 August) due to the arrival of the second slower CME observed on 01 August (associated with a large filament disappearance).
Translation: No biggie. Folks in places like Norway or New Zealand might see a nice auroral display though.

cheers
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

Dotini

Unread post by Dotini » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:26 am

solrey wrote:
Dotini. :roll:

Good grief, Michio "Dr. Doom" Kaku? He still be hangin' with the talking heads on Faux News I see.

Translation: No biggie.
cheers
Faux news and Kaku said CME's could affect and even knock out GPS satellites. I hope you don't think this is wrong?

Aviation industry lobbyists appear to have successfully persuaded government to switch from radar to GPS. Personally I think this is deplorable. Even though I rarely fly anymore, I can envision a giant problem for commercial aviation and the traveling public once a CME does shut down GPS.

Therefore I think it can only be good for the general public to be aware of CME's and their potential affects.

With high regards,
Dotini

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:04 am

Dotini. Of course it's good for the public to be informed. However, the type of fearmongering promoted by Faux Newz is not providing much in the way of useful information to the general public
Faux news and Kaku said CME's could affect and even knock out GPS satellites. I hope you don't think this is wrong?
It's true that extremely powerful flares/CME's could knock out a variety of satellites and/or ground based electric grids, but this event was not one of those catastrophic situations.
Translation: No biggie.
cheers
Way to cherry pick my statement. :roll:
Translation: No biggie. Folks in places like Norway or New Zealand might see a nice auroral display though.
Hmmm. As predicted, that's pretty much all that happened.

Did Faux Newz or that blog provide any useful information about this particular solar flare/CME? Not even close. They could have informed folks that the strength of this particular flare/CME would likely produce nothing more than enhanced auroral displays. They didn't. They could have mentioned that those kinds of low power geomagnetic storms happen hundreds of times per solar cycle and are nothing to worry about. They didn't. They could have mentioned the fleet of satellites that are monitoring solar activity for the purpose of predicting the resulting geomagnetic activity. They didn't. They could have mentioned the international cooperation being developed between the public and private sectors should a once in a millennium catastrophic flare/CME occur. They didn't. They could have informed folks about what to do with their personal electronics/grid connection in the event of a destructive geomagnetic storm. Again, they did not.

What was the point at the very beginning of the segment in stating that the sun could "mean the end of life as we know it" other than fearmongering in an attempt to achieve higher ratings?

If you prefer to get your information regarding solar conditions from Faux Newz (and talking heads that struggle to read their teleprompters) and/or that theoretical mathematician nutter Kaku...that's your choice, albeit one that will result in being grossly misinformed. There are way more accurate sources of information about solar activity out there and I have apparently wasted my time providing them to you. :cry:

cheers
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

kmcook

Cosmic Dielectrics?

Unread post by kmcook » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:57 am

Jarvamundo

Re: Cosmic Dielectrics?

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:10 am

yup, and there's a good way to test it. Well maybe not so good....

MrAmsterdam

"humidity electricity" confirmed in lab

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:37 pm

http://www.physorg.com/news201958072.ht ... um=twitter

Scientists once believed that water droplets in the atmosphere were electrically neutral, and remained so even after coming into contact with the electrical charges on dust particles and droplets of other liquids. But new evidence suggested that water in the atmosphere really does pick up an electrical charge.
-
Galembeck and colleagues confirmed that idea, using laboratory experiments that simulated water's contact with dust particles in the air. They used tiny particles of silica and aluminum phosphate, both common airborne substances, showing that silica became more negatively charged in the presence of high humidity and aluminum phosphate became more positively charged. High humidity means high levels of water vapor in the air ― the vapor that condenses and becomes visible as "fog" on windows of air-conditioned cars and buildings on steamy summer days.

"This was clear evidence that water in the atmosphere can accumulate electrical charges and transfer them to other materials it comes into contact with," Galembeck explained. "We are calling this 'hygroelectricity,' meaning 'humidity electricity'."
-
"These are fascinating ideas that new studies by ourselves and by other scientific teams suggest are now possible," Galembeck said. "We certainly have a long way to go. But the benefits in the long range of harnessing hygroelectricity could be substantial."
Old news for some of us here. It looks like vapour particles have simular properties to dust particles.

One thing is not clear though for me. By what mechanism is the electric energy being created? Sun storms? CME's? Just movement through the medium/atmosphere?
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

StevenO

Re: "humidity electricity" confirmed in lab

Unread post by StevenO » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:25 am

The atmosphere is carried by the charge photon field of the earth. It is the foundation of all local electricity. Small particles have a relatively higher contribution of their charge field than their gravity field. No difference between dust or water, its the size and density that matters in determining how "charged" a particle is.
First, God decided he was lonely. Then it got out of hand. Now we have this mess called life...
The past is out of date. Start living your future. Align with your dreams. Now execute.

scotts

UK meteorologist uses the Sun to predict the weather

Unread post by scotts » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Here is a story about a UK UK meteorologist uses the Sun to predict the weather and is correct ~85% of the time. Interesting read. The tie into EU
The Daily Telegraph wrote:He looks at the flow of particles from the Sun, and how they interact with the upper atmosphere, especially air currents such as the jet stream, and he looks at how the Moon and other factors influence those streaming particles.

He takes a snapshot of what the Sun is doing at any given moment, and then he looks back at the record to see when it last did something similar. Then he checks what the weather was like on Earth at the time - and he makes a prophecy.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weath ... 1945a.html