Time is on my side

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

elijahblackwood

Time is on my side

Unread post by elijahblackwood » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:24 am

Hi again,

I did a search to see if this topic has been raised on these forums before but didn't come back with any hits?

Time is a pretty important thing for humanity, including science, we attempt to quantify reality around time, or by using time. We all know Einstein took time and combined it with space to produce spacetime. Some areas of science talk about time travel, time reversal symmetry and time machines.
In physics, spacetime (or space–time; or space/time) is any mathematical model that combines space and time into a single continuum. Spacetime is usually interpreted with space being three-dimensional and time playing the role of a fourth dimension that is of a different sort from the spatial dimensions. According to certain Euclidean space perceptions, the universe has three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. By combining space and time into a single manifold, physicists have significantly simplified a large number of physical theories, as well as described in a more uniform way the workings of the universe at both the supergalactic and subatomic levels.

In classical mechanics, the use of Euclidean space instead of spacetime is appropriate, as time is treated as universal and constant, being independent of the state of motion of an observer. In relativistic contexts, however, time cannot be separated from the three dimensions of space, because the observed rate at which time passes for an object depends on the object's velocity relative to the observer and also on the strength of intense gravitational fields, which can slow the passage of time (Wikipedia)
Miles Mathis offers an explanation that came pretty close to my own thoughts:

http://milesmathis.com/time.html

So time might be nothing more than a tool to measure movement. Which would indicate that by saying you can take space, another term used to describe universal motion (IMHO) and combine it with the tool to measure that motion is a little more than imaginative.

In classical mechanics I'm not sure how time can be universal and constant and independent of the state of motion of an observer when it is man made, not universally made and measures motion which can have varying degrees of velocity?

Maybe I've got it all wrong, but doesn't relativity need to be sectioned?

On another note I found this interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentar ... time.shtml

I'm not a lover of Michio Kaku's work but I find this interesting because it seems to show that age affects our perception of the passing of time.

Thanks

bboyer

Re: Time is on my side

Unread post by bboyer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:56 am

elijahblackwood wrote:Hi again,

I did a search to see if this topic has been raised on these forums before but didn't come back with any hits?

If you tried using the phpBB3 built-in search function, don't bother; it's worthless. Use your preferred internet search engine's advanced search instead to search the site/forums.

Example for Google (drop the quotes): "time site:thunderbolts.info/forum" returns:

http://www.google.com/search?q=time+sit ... =firefox-a

Here's a good thread: What is Time?

A good one for Mathis (there are a few more): Miles Mathis
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

elijahblackwood

Unread post by elijahblackwood » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks arc-us I will follow your instructions in future. :D

I think i'll mosey on over to that thread and have a splurge. Cheers!

I did think it was a bit weird to not have a thread on this :roll:

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:16 am

Make sure you have yer waders/hip-boots on, they'll come in handy. :lol:
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad