Electric Io

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

redeye

Re: Jupiter-Io Tidal Heating?

Unread post by redeye » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:56 am

Being always doubtful about news articles on astronomy, I plugged some masses and Perigee/Apogee distances in Newton`s gravitational law and my results show that while the Earth`s gravitational force on our Moon varies by 19.89%, the variation in the Jupiter-Io system is just 1.59%!

According to my logic, since we don`t see any tidal heating on our moon then the process could not exist on Io with more than 10 times less variation in the gravitational force or am I missing something?
The official explanation of Io's tidal heating involves Europa, Ganymede and Callisto giving Io an orbital kick which is forcing Io into an elliptical orbit. This is what is supposed to be providing the extra stress which provides the internal heat which powers the volcanoes.

It is convenient to ignore the fact that Io sits in the middle of the biggest particle accelerator in the Solar System, and that the supposed volcanic vents produce ultraviolet light and xrays and that the "volcanoes" enjoy a good wander around the moon.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 am

I recommend reading this paper, it basically describes the Io-Jupiter interaction as a unipolar inductor.

IO-JUPITER SYSTEM: A UNIQUE CASE OF MOON-PLANET INTERACTION

I think papers like this show how stubborn mainstream astrophysicists are in clinging to the dogma of gravitational tidal heating.
Abstract
Io and Jupiter constitute a moon-planet system that is unique in our solar system. Io is the most volcanically
active planetary body, while Jupiter is the first among the planets in terms of size, mass, magnetic field strength, spin rate, and volume of the magnetosphere. That Io is electrodynamically linked to Jupiter is known for nearly four decades from the radio emissions. Io influences Jupiter by supplying heavy ions to its magnetosphere, which dominates its energetic and dynamics. Jupiter influences Io by tidally heating its interior, which in turn drives the volcanic activity on Io.
[..]
An analogy of the Io-Jupiter system is now being applied to the astrophysical and cosmic objects. A conducting body traversing a magnetic field produces an induced electric field. When the circuit is closed, a current will set up, resulting in resistive dissipation. The Jupiter-Io system therefore operates as a unipolar inductor. Another potential cosmic unipolar inductor could be a planet orbiting around a magnetic white dwarf. These systems have a similar configuration, with the differences being their orbital period and separation, the masses and radii of the two components, and the magnetic moment of the magnetic body.

In fact the generation of electric current between the magnetic object and non-magnetic body result in heating of the atmosphere/surface of the magnetic object where the current touches it and would result in production of emission in the polar region of the magnetic object. This could be one way of revealing a planet around a white dwarf that is difficult to detect otherwise.
Why just the polar regions? Why not along certain latitude bands as well? The voltage potential is about 400kV with a current of about 106A...that's 400,000 volts and 1,000,000 amps.

This article contains a pretty big clue as to the volcano's being discharge events:
Io's Alien Volcanoes
"The biggest mystery about Io's volcanoes is why they're so hot," says Bill Smythe, a co-investigator on JPL's NIMS team. "At 1800 K, the vents are about 1/3 the temperature of the surface of the sun! Billions of years ago basaltic lava on Earth was about that hot, but now -- thanks to mixing in subduction zones -- terrestrial basalts have a lower melting point. Lavas we see now on Earth are about 300 K cooler than they used to be. It's very surprising to see lava flows on Io as hot as these ancient flows on Earth. Why? Simply because Io's soil has been reworked many, many times, so the melting temperature should be lower for the same reason that Earth's basalts melt at a lower temperature. It's a real mystery."
I'm pretty sure the plumes move around a bit also.

Funny how the solar systems most electrically dynamic moons happen to have volcanic plumes as well.

cheers,
Tim
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

substance

Unread post by substance » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 am

The paper sounds very intuitive and logical but I guess I`ll be able to grasp the whole thing after this semester when we get into Electromagnetism.

I`m very curious if there would be a way to experimentally prove the correlation between the unipolar inductor and the vulcanic activity.
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

Sparky

Electric Io

Unread post by Sparky » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:18 am

Gas is continually being lost by Io, ionized, and added to the Io plasma torus. Why doesn't the plasma torus become more and more massive? Because plasma is also constantly being lost, at about the same rate (on the average) as it is added by Io. It is believed to be lost by being flung outward by centrifugal force, after the manner of whipped cream flying off the egg-beater blades.
http://vega.lpl.arizona.edu/iotorus/

I have used my extensive skills and highly advanced technology to search for how a "Torus" electrically functions, but have found no good explanation...I have been told that current does not flow into nor out of a torus, but this article above suggests otherwise...

I would appreciate any help finding a good electrical construct of a torus....

thank you
Last edited by nick c on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title changed for purpose of thread merger
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

D_Archer

Re: Io plasma torus

Unread post by D_Archer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 am

Hi Sparky,

This thread might help a bit: http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... p?f=4&t=46

As i understand it, the terella experiment is the best explanation for the formation of a torus. The actual physical/electrical explanation how/why a torus forms is unknown to me. I do remember something about storing energy? a sort of regulator.... the sun has a torus, and cme and torus activity are linked...somehow..

Standard physics: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010ApJ...708..314A

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm

D_Archer, thanks......thread did not go into current flow within torus.

the other thread to an abstract may or may have not described current flow; i don't know, as i could only understand every 5th word or term... :cry:

i may have to go directly to tpod authors.... ;)

thanks
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

fosborn

Unread post by fosborn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:00 pm

http://vega.lpl.arizona.edu/iotorus/
Neon lights, however, get their power from the man-made electrical power grid. What powers the Io plasma torus?

Only part of the answer to this question is known.

The Io plasma torus is created by ionizing neutral atmospheric gases such as sulfur dioxide. These ions are created by the ultraviolet part of sunlight and bombardment by the electrons of the plasma torus. These new ions and electrons are immediately accelerated to move with Jupiter's rotating magnetic field, and as a side effect the ions are heated to very high temperatures (tens of thousands of degrees), which is passed on to the electrons. Electrical currents are also driven by this acceleration process, forcing electrons to move at very high speeds. This energy leaves the system when the electrons excite the ions to give off this energy as ultraviolet light, which can be observed by telescopes (LINK to observations page)
What is the accelerating mechanism? Did they indicate that? In EU, would we say unequal charge separation is being generated by the light energy, as in water exclusion zones? And the DL's are accelerating the ions?
Because these ions and electrons, or plasma, come from Io and its accompanying donut-shaped cloud of escaped atmospheric gases, this plasma cloud is also donut-shaped. Because of its shape, it is called the Io plasma torus.It rotates with Jupiter with a 10 hour period, while Io and its accompanying neutral gas ring requires 42 hours to revolve around Jupiter. Because Jupiter's magnetic field is tilted, the Io plasma torus rotation has a wobble or shimmy, like a car tire with a bent hub (see animation).
This reminds me of galaxy rotation. Jupiter's torus rotating the same speed but greater distance. Kind of exciting to see a local model in action.
Or have I miss understood the whole idea of it?

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:59 am

fosborn wrote:http://vega.lpl.arizona.edu/iotorus/
Neon lights, however, get their power from the man-made electrical power grid. What powers the Io plasma torus?

Only part of the answer to this question is known.
Anything after this is highly speculative, and is a construct from gravity based cosmology, not known!
The Io plasma torus is created by ionizing neutral atmospheric gases such as sulfur dioxide. These ions are created by the ultraviolet part of sunlight and bombardment by the electrons of the plasma torus. These new ions and electrons are immediately accelerated to move with Jupiter's rotating magnetic field, and as a side effect the ions are heated to very high temperatures (tens of thousands of degrees), which is passed on to the electrons. Electrical currents are also driven by this acceleration process, forcing electrons to move at very high speeds. This energy leaves the system when the electrons excite the ions to give off this energy as ultraviolet light, which can be observed by telescopes (LINK to observations page)
What is the accelerating mechanism? Did they indicate that? In EU, would we say unequal charge separation is being generated by the light energy, as in water exclusion zones? And the DL's are accelerating the ions?
Because these ions and electrons, or plasma, come from Io and its accompanying donut-shaped cloud of escaped atmospheric gases, this plasma cloud is also donut-shaped. Because of its shape, it is called the Io plasma torus.It rotates with Jupiter with a 10 hour period, while Io and its accompanying neutral gas ring requires 42 hours to revolve around Jupiter. Because Jupiter's magnetic field is tilted, the Io plasma torus rotation has a wobble or shimmy, like a car tire with a bent hub (see animation).
This reminds me of galaxy rotation. Jupiter's torus rotating the same speed but greater distance. Kind of exciting to see a local model in action.
hell, you know more about what is happening there than these scientists.
I highlighted some of what i see as nonsense explanations.
Because of its shape, it is called the Io plasma torus.
errrr, maybe it is called that because THAT IS WHAT IT IS!

fosborn

Unread post by fosborn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:32 am

FOsborn; wroteWhat is the accelerating mechanism? Did they indicate that? In EU, would we say unequal charge separation is being generated by the light energy, as in water exclusion zones? And the DL's are accelerating the ions?
FOsborn;This reminds me of galaxy rotation. Jupiter's torus rotating the same speed but greater distance. Kind of exciting to see a local model in action.
I feel like this reply is mind numbingly sad. Rotation idea bad, do to a total lack of lucidity. Light generating DL, really weak, OK, bad too. :cry:
A little more reading and re reading has exposed this big time.
Mr.Sparky, you are way to easy on me here.

http://www.planetaryexploration.net/jup ... torus.html
As Io circles around Jupiter and through the plasma torus, an enormous electrical current flows between them. Approximately 2 trillion watts of power is generated. The current follows the magnetic field lines to Jupiter's surface where it creates lightning in the upper atmosphere. The first black and white Hubble Space Telescope image (top) shows the flux tube, where Io and Jupiter are linked by an electrical current of charged particles. Volcanic emissions from Io flow along Jupiter's magnetic field lines, through Io, to Jupiter's north and south magnetic poles. In the second black and white image, auroral emissions are visible at Jupiter's north and south poles
a TPOD http://thunderbolts.info/tpod/2007/arch ... isited.htm
gives lots of links for electric Io.
This is vary awsome;
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2001/r ... 1_240.html Recent magnetic-field measurements tell us something new about the plumes erupting from Io's volcanoes and about the moon's molten core, said Dr. Margaret Kivelson of the University of California, Los Angeles.

Galileo detectedelectrical currents flowing along magnetic field lines above two areas of volcanic activity on Io, Kivelson said. Material shot high from eruptions is apparently affecting conductivity more than 100 kilometers (about 60 miles) above the surface.
"If this is the mechanism that's producing the currents, it may help us in the search for active plumes," she said.
Galileo's routes near Io’s north pole in August and near its south pole in October were chosen for gaining measurements to determine whether Io generates an intrinsic magnetic field of its own within the greater magnetic field generated by Jupiter.
"There's no intrinsic field," Kivelson said. "We can put that question to rest." That means Io's molten iron coredoes not have the same type of convective overturning by which Earth's molten core generates Earth's magnetic field. Lack of that overturning fits a model of Io's core being heated from the outside, by tidal flexing of the layers around it, rather than being heated from the center.
Think its time I took a break from posting on this board for a while (Dah!). I apologize for doing harm to this forum and those turned away by my post. :|

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:12 am

fosborn wrote:
FOsborn; wroteWhat is the accelerating mechanism? Did they indicate that? In EU, would we say unequal charge separation is being generated by the light energy, as in water exclusion zones? And the DL's are accelerating the ions?
FOsborn;This reminds me of galaxy rotation. Jupiter's torus rotating the same speed but greater distance. Kind of exciting to see a local model in action.
I feel like this reply is mind numbingly sad. Rotation idea bad, do to a total lack of lucidity. Light generating DL, really weak, OK, bad too. :cry:
A little more reading and re reading has exposed this big time.
Mr.Sparky, you are way to easy on me here.

http://www.planetaryexploration.net/jup ... torus.html
As Io circles around Jupiter and through the plasma torus, an enormous electrical current flows between them. Approximately 2 trillion watts of power is generated. The current follows the magnetic field lines to Jupiter's surface where it creates lightning in the upper atmosphere. The first black and white Hubble Space Telescope image (top) shows the flux tube, where Io and Jupiter are linked by an electrical current of charged particles. Volcanic emissions from Io flow along Jupiter's magnetic field lines, through Io, to Jupiter's north and south magnetic poles. In the second black and white image, auroral emissions are visible at Jupiter's north and south poles
a TPOD http://thunderbolts.info/tpod/2007/arch ... isited.htm
gives lots of links for electric Io.
This is vary awsome;
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2001/r ... 1_240.html Recent magnetic-field measurements tell us something new about the plumes erupting from Io's volcanoes and about the moon's molten core, said Dr. Margaret Kivelson of the University of California, Los Angeles.

Galileo detectedelectrical currents flowing along magnetic field lines above two areas of volcanic activity on Io, Kivelson said. Material shot high from eruptions is apparently affecting conductivity more than 100 kilometers (about 60 miles) above the surface.
"If this is the mechanism that's producing the currents, it may help us in the search for active plumes," she said.
Galileo's routes near Io’s north pole in August and near its south pole in October were chosen for gaining measurements to determine whether Io generates an intrinsic magnetic field of its own within the greater magnetic field generated by Jupiter.
"There's no intrinsic field," Kivelson said. "We can put that question to rest." That means Io's molten iron coredoes not have the same type of convective overturning by which Earth's molten core generates Earth's magnetic field. Lack of that overturning fits a model of Io's core being heated from the outside, by tidal flexing of the layers around it, rather than being heated from the center.
Think its time I took a break from posting on this board for a while (Dah!). I apologize for doing harm to this forum and those turned away by my post. :| .
oh, nonsense...everyone here posts for a different reason...i'm just burning time, distracting myself...if someone doesn't like what i write, they don't have to read any of my posts!..so, post as you like and don't worry about "doing harm"....i appreciate your inputs.

Thanks for the links and posts....i guess i may have to take a trip up to the university's electrical engineering dept. to see if they have a book on plasma torus...
If this is the mechanism that's producing the currents---Lack of that overturning fits a model of Io's core being heated from the outside, by tidal flexing of the layers around it
Oh, so close!..But no kewpie doll!!

Phorce

Re: Electric Io

Unread post by Phorce » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:10 am

Play it again sam ?

Universe Today/Bad Astronomy: Major Volcanic Eruption Seen on Jupiter’s Moon Io

Relevant Thunderbolts article.

Does Universe Today really represent the Space News out there ? Are there other mainstream news sites that report very differently ?

BAUT has associations, through "The Bad Astronomer" with James Randi. Randi is clearly a cult leader - a Science Cult (Scientology anyone?). I have not fully confirmed this yet, but apparently Randi was investigated by the Brazilian intelligence services and thrown out of the country. He was there attempting to destroy Homeopathy ... a widely used traditional practice in Brazil. What has this got to do with Io ? I believe we are seeing evidence for Cult behaviour as well as a loss of The Good Authority as defined in the book The Loss of the Good Authority - The Cause of Delinquency Tom Pitt-Aikens and Alice Thomas Ellis ... (p61)
The last Good I will mention is concerned with the
destructive chain-reaction of anxiety that can occur in
any group. If a prevailing anxiety is felt to be unmention-
able amongst those in authority, then to those under the
authority the problem must be perceived at some level of
consciousness as too much for the authority itself. Over-
anxious or anxiety-denying authority is in my view the
chief cause of untenable behaviour in a group; this
behaviour is likely to persist until the complete destruc-
tion of that organization in that form has come about or
until the authorities face the anxiety squarely.
The anxiety levels in these organisations must be appalling and leads to the kind of mental paralysis that we see in these articles on Io. There must be legions of Planetary Scientists wanting to join an organisation that is run by good authorities. Here, good can mean being unpopular or being misunderstood - it's a difficult job. But as Pitt-Aikens and Thomas Ellis point out members of an organisation know on a deep level that the authorities can't make the difficult decisions that need to be made, if those same authorities treat the anxiety causing thing as a no go area and refuse to discuss it (a'la gravity/electricity/problems in science). This is exactly what we are seeing here in the instance of Io ... but I could have picked almost any example.

My question is where is OUR discussion about the anxiety causing thing - the suppression of dialogue, the insults the persecution and so forth ? If it takes place at NPA conferences I have not seen any online articles about it. It can be understood. Especially start with the book I have cited.
Exploration and discovery without honest investigation of "extraordinary" results leads to a Double Bind (Bateson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind ) that creates loss of hope and depression. No more Double Binds !

willendure

Why Io has electrical "volcanoes".

Unread post by willendure » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:17 am

Searching for information about angular momentum and Birkeland current, I found this:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19840062999

Basically, it seems to be saying that Jupiter has a magnetic field, and it also has plasma (hot gas). Since these two things are not physically tied to each other, they do not always rotate exactly in sync, just as our own atmosphere generally rotates with the earth, but not exactly. This sets up electrical currents, which can somtimes "sink" on satellites.

To me this would seem to validate the hypothesis that the volcanoes on Io are indeed electrically induced. It would also explain the electrical scarring seen elsewhere on satellites of Jupiter and Saturn.

I knew the "volcanoes" moved around, so cannot possible be volcanoes, but not why the electrical current creating them should exist. This fills in the missing piece for me.