Pamir patterns

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

atherophage

Pamir patterns

Unread post by atherophage » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/12/20/tr ... ss&emc=rss

This is an interesting travel article in and of itself. The fun for us lies in the included slide show. Check out the patterns in the clothing, rugs and door coverings. Makes one wonder if these people have more stories to tell.

Ath

mharratsc

Re: Pamir patterns

Unread post by mharratsc » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:17 pm

No kidding! And if I remember right, there were quite a few petroglyphs from that area used by Anthony Peratt for his deduction of the relationship of plasma instabilities and copious odd petroglyphs from around the world! :)

Those folks have been doing pretty much the same thing for millenia. Nomadic and semi-nomadic people are very big on cultural history and tradition (they both travel well, and you don't have to pack them :P ) It makes perfect sense to see record of that stuff in their art and dress, much as you do in Native American art, Aboriginal and Polynesian, etc., ya know?

Mike H.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington