Mercury Updates

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

junglelord

Re: Mercury Updates

Unread post by junglelord » Fri May 01, 2009 5:46 am

This Just in: Mercury More Exciting Than Mars
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/ ... ermercury/
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

omni-tom

Unread post by omni-tom » Mon May 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Mysterious spokes found in crater on Mercury

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... rcury.html

not so mysterious to you guys eh?

Ronanov

Unread post by Ronanov » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:05 pm

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Ronanov,

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 112255.htm
"These 'tornadoes' form when magnetic fields carried by the solar wind connect to Mercury's magnetic field," said Slavin. "As the solar wind blows past Mercury's field, these joined magnetic fields are carried with it and twist up into vortex-like structures. These twisted magnetic flux tubes, technically known as flux transfer events, form open windows in the planet's magnetic shield through which the solar wind may enter and directly impact Mercury's surface."
"Mercury's atmosphere is so thin, it would have vanished long ago unless something was replenishing it," says Dr. James A. Slavin of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md., a co-investigator on NASA's MESSENGER mission to Mercury.
Replenished and entrained ...??

~s~

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:04 am

Sept. 23, 2009: NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft will fly by Mercury for the third and final time on Sept. 29. MESSENGER will pass less than 142 miles above the planet's rocky surface for a final gravity assist required to enter Mercury's orbit in 2011.
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009 ... flyby3.htm

MESSENGER is beaming back images of thousands of square miles of previously unseen terrain, including this unnamed crater of interest:
The arc-shaped depression in the crater's floor is a "pit crater." A few of these have been seen on Mercury, and they are probably volcanic in nature. Pit craters may have formed when subsurface magma drained away and left a roof area unsupported, leading to collapse and the formation of the pit. In this example, the southern area of the pit appears to have two or more floor levels. The discovery of multiple pit-floor craters adds to a growing body of evidence that volcanic activity was widespread in Mercury's past.

http://spaceweather.com/swpod2009/01oct ... tdrrgtgku5
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:21 am

Direct image of EDM in progress!!!!!

One of the new images shows a bright spot on the planet's surface, a feature that scientists cannot yet explain.
:roll:

Say it with me now...Electric Discharge Machining.
:o

LiveScience article here.

Large image here.

If you enlarge that image, you can clearly see filaments rising up from the crater!

EDM in progress! Woooohoooooo!
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

solrey

EDM on Mercury caught by MESSENGER

Unread post by solrey » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:48 am

I posted this on the Mercury Updates topic, but I thought it was worthy of it's own topic considering, AFAIK, it's the first direct evidence for EDM in progress on a planetary surface.

Direct image of EDM in progress!!!!!

One of the new images shows a bright spot on the planet's surface, a feature that scientists cannot yet explain.
:roll:

You mean several bright spots along the edges of those craters?

Say it with me now...Electric Discharge Machining.
:o

LiveScience article here.

Large image here.

If you enlarge that NASA image, you can clearly see filaments rising up from the rim of the crater!
I saved it to my hd and played around with it in my image editor. Those are definitely filamentary jets rising from the bright spots along the edge of that crater that is currently being carved out by EDM.
EDM in progress! Just as EU says it should happen, on crater rims. Woooohoooooo!

Think that might have something to do with the little "glitch" MESSENGER experienced on this last flyby? :?
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

GaryN

Re: EDM on Mercury caught by MESSENGER

Unread post by GaryN » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:03 pm

No,no,no, solrey, they just happened to have caught the recent after effects of a comet impact. The impact causes a brief piezo electric surface charging of the surrounding area. The static electricity causes photon emissions, mostly at UV wavelengths but some visible, and a brief lifting of the surface dust by ES repulsion between the particles. The slow discharging to space will pull the dust up into a vortex-like filament due to a weak, induced magnetic field.

Well, that might not be the answer they come up with, but its the best I could come up with at short notice. ;-)
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:20 pm

solrey wrote:If you enlarge that NASA image, you can clearly see filaments rising up from the rim of the crater!
Heh, heh - let 'em put that in their collective pipe and, you know, suck on it. . . which I'm sure they will! And when they get high enough, we'll all no doubt be treated to another episode of PINK UNICORNS IN SPA-A-A-ACE! :lol:
It's all about perception.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:39 pm

solrey wrote:If you enlarge that NASA image, you can clearly see filaments rising up from the rim of the crater!
Can you link to the NASA image, please? I'm not seeing said filaments in the images from LiveScience... Certainly nothing I'd call "clear" (resolution is still a bit spotty when getting right up close to the surface; I figure wait 2-4 years for the next generation or two of image sensors and maybe we'll start getting the high res surface shots we really NEED)... ;o] I hate blurry images with too low of resolution. Too easy to read in what we'd *like* to be there.

Best,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:06 pm

* Well, in today's TPOD we finally have someone on the Thunderbolts team acknowledging that another planetoid besides Venus and Titan may be less than ten thousand years old http://thunderbolts.info/tpod/2009/arch ... 1flyby.htm . So does anyone still want to claim that it's impossible that Earth may be less than 50,000 years old? I had stated somewhere on the forum that it may be only a few ten thousand years old and numerous folks opined that my suspicion is absurd. I hope they're now ready to take that opinion back.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:19 pm

* I don't see filaments either, but my vision isn't great either.
* Is the comet idea a joke, or serious? I imagine if it were a comet it would have been detected and widely reported. I guess, though, if there was no comet, there could have been a meteor, since meteors seem to trigger such arcing in Earth's atmosphere.
* There's certainly a very bright area in the vicinity of one of the large craters and it does look about as bright as an arc from an arc welder.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:04 pm

solrey wrote:<snip>
If you enlarge that NASA image, you can clearly see filaments rising up from the rim of the crater!
I saved it to my hd and played around with it in my image editor. Those are definitely filamentary jets rising from the bright spots along the edge of that crater that is currently being carved out by EDM.
<snip>
merc_crater1.png
merc_crater2.png
CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW

If you're referring to the sorta wispy-looking areas around arrows 1 or 2 that I've indicated in the enlarged image above, it just looks like image contrast and resolution limitations of the on-board camera(s) to me. The lens are not capable of resolving much between the contrast extremes or range of over- (light) and under- (dark) exposure. I think it's just optical limitations of the equipment and we're simply seeing those limitations expressed in the landscape snapshot. I'd have to go with the others here in not seeing any real-time EDM going on at least in terms of filamentation. Though why the area looks as if it's lit up by a spotlight compared to the surrounding terrain, particularly in the small image you posted in the original post, is curious.
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

MattEU

Unread post by MattEU » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:10 pm

Image Image

The left image is a closer view of the crater. Image on the right is a Martian dust devil showing its bright white EDM at its base.

Can anyone find any images of the bright spots on the mountains on Venus? I thought it was Venus these were found on? They may not have been EDM as they could have been St Elmo's Fire but it would be good to compare.

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:52 am

Lloyd wrote:[...] does anyone still want to claim that it's impossible that Earth may be less than 50,000 years old? I had stated somewhere on the forum that it may be only a few ten thousand years old and numerous folks opined that my suspicion is absurd. I hope they're now ready to take that opinion back.
I realize that a visual comparison here doesn't really prove much of anything as far as age is concerned. But I also realize that our home planet is not only unique within this solr system, it also seems to be quite unique within our greater "neighborhood."

To me, this suggests either a much greater age difference, or that Earth may be of an extra-solar origin, or any number of other variables. All things considered, though, to suggest an age of 50k years +/- would seem to imply some sort of "intelligent outside intervention," which I wouldn't necessarily rule out. But it would be inappropriate to go into that here.
It's all about perception.