Electric Weather

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Influx

Re: In Slumber, Sun Reveals Effects on Earth's Climate!

Unread post by Influx » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:23 pm

MGmirkin wrote:(First Global Connection Between Earth And Space Weather Found)
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/new ... _link.html
So what confines the plasma to these narrow bands?

Are the bands trapped inside the layers? Or is that just a conceptual image? And why would the plasma be in two separate bands?

http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~idh/apod/ap070715.html

If ions and electron are funneled by earths mag field to the earths poles, where then does the charge flow too? If auroras are simple an indicator of current inflow into the planets, how is the circuit completed? Flowing out of the equator? Back into space?

Or does it flow into earth?
The currents are primarily induced by changes in the outer part of the Earth's magnetic field, which are usually caused by interactions between the solar wind and the magnetosphere or solar radiation effects on the ionosphere. Telluric current activity is related to thunderstorms, and recent research indicates that by causing accumulation of electrical charge on the Earth's surface, they play a vital role in turning a rain shower into a thunder storm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telluric_current

Or, what maintains earth charge?

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-prev ... ze=largest

Just a preview but interesting nonetheless.
Today is the yesterday of tomorrow.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Influx wrote:If ions and electron are funneled by earths mag field to the earths poles, where then does the charge flow too? If auroras are simple an indicator of current inflow into the planets, how is the circuit completed? Flowing out of the equator? Back into space?
(Electric Currents From Space)
http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wcurrent.html
http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education ... /swdyn.gif

In large part, currents flow in at the poles, traverse the auroral region and flow back out to space. Though there may be some losses in the atmosphere and some current may end up going elsewhere in the atmosphere. Don't recall the specifics.

Anyway, if you've got broadband, take a look at Birkeland's book (available free online in scanned PDF format; though it's about 100MB in size)...

(Norwegian Aurora Polaris Expedition 1902-1903)
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.ph ... 903_(Book)
[EDIT 07-27-10: APPARENTLY NO LONGER AVAILABLE AT ABOVE LINK. THIS LINK SHOULD BE GOOD (FOR TIME BEING AT LEAST) : http://ia340919.us.archive.org/2/items/ ... ririch.pdf , ALSO, OTHER FORMATS AND DATA HERE http://www.archive.org/details/norwegia ... 01chririch -- arc-us]

See PDF page 571, I believe... It displays the terella with BOTH polar and equatorial rings at the same time. Analogous, I believe to the auroras and equatorial plasma torus (or possibly inner Van Allen belt)...

Best,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:38 am

If you think of the homopolar motor model of a galaxy, and think of that in relation to the Earth, I think you would have:

- Ions flowing into the poles (from the Sun)

- electrons completing the circuit from the magnetic equator(?)

I wonder if their model of the Earth's magnetic field is correct... is it possible that the Earth's magnetic field is as lobed as the homopolar model of a barred spiral galaxy, just perhaps with a reversed current flow?

That might explain why we have auroras at the poles and lightning at the equator, rather than the other way around... I should say- IF the homopolar model is at all applicable! I'm not exactly a physicist :P

Mike H.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:43 pm

* It seems that not much has been discussed about the jet streams among E.U. theorists. I haven't checked all the sites, just this one, holoscience.com and kronia.com. The last has an article about jet streams found inside the sun at http://www.kronia.com/thoth/thoth22.txt

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 am

Lloyd,
Some references to the Earth's jet streams in some holoscience articles.
Comparing the jet stream as a scaled down Earthly version of polar storms found on other planets [I assume due to differing atmospheric density and composition?]:
http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=aapprbh6
The electromotive power is deposited mostly in the upper atmosphere at mid to low latitudes and gives rise to fast upper atmosphere winds and even "super rotation." That is, the wind races around the planet faster than the planet turns. It is a phenomenon observed on Venus and Titan and remains unexplained by atmospheric physics, which relies on solar heating. It is the cause of the extraordinary winds on the gas giant planets in the outer solar system, where solar heating is weak.It has implications for the jet streams and weather patterns on Earth as well. Notably, the polar current streams take the form of twin Birkeland current filaments, which give rise to the enigmatic "double vortexes" seen at the poles of Venus. It is apparent that electrical energy from space doesn't merely light up auroras. It has a profound influence on upper atmosphere winds and storms. An expert on the dynamics of planetary atmospheres, F. W. Taylor, has admitted, "the absence of viable theories which can be tested, or in this case [Venusian polar vortex] any theory at all, leaves us uncomfortably in doubt as to our basic ability to understand even gross features of planetary atmospheric circulations." Meanwhile, electrical energy appears nowhere in any climate model.

highlight added
also, in comparison to Saturn's polar hot spot:
http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=1xz2g6tn
The electromotive power is deposited mostly in the upper atmosphere at mid to low latitudes and gives rise to its "super rotation." That is, the atmosphere races around the planet faster than the planet turns. It is a phenomenon observed on Venus and Titan and remains unexplained by the usual atmospheric physics, which relies mainly on solar heating. It is the cause of the phenomenal winds on the gas giant planets in the outer solar system, where solar heating is minimal. It has implications for the jet streams and weather patterns on Earth as well.
and in an article on the Columbia disaster:
http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?art ... [quote]The upper atmosphere jet streams are an important consequence of the electrical energy input from space. When the earth encounters blasts of charged particles from the Sun, auroras increase, and the jet streams move south. Both are indicative of an increased electric current to the Earth. My colleague, Amy Acheson, noted that the edge of the jet stream was right over San Francisco about an hour before the alleged "lightning bolt" photo of the shuttle was taken. It may be useful to examine the position of jet streams with reference to thunderstorms in order to get a clearer picture of the electrical connection.
[/quote]

nick c

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:56 pm

nick c wrote:http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=r4k29syp
The upper atmosphere jet streams are an important consequence of the electrical energy input from space. When the earth encounters blasts of charged particles from the Sun, auroras increase, and the jet streams move south. Both are indicative of an increased electric current to the Earth ... It may be useful to examine the position of jet streams with reference to thunderstorms in order to get a clearer picture of the electrical connection.
nick c
Hmm, that's an interesting quote... Didn't recall that one. Thanks Nick!

Does that align with what was said earlier...?
Kristian Birkeland wrote:With a constant magnetisation, the zones of patches will be found near the equator if the discharge-tension is low, but far from the equator if the tension is high.
Strangely, Wal seems to be saying the opposite of Birkeland? Hmm, might have to clarify.

Actually, as I was bolding the statement from Wal, I wondered slightly: What does he man by "south"? Wouldn't one jet stream in one hemisphere move south and the other in the opposite hemisphere move north? Did he instead mean hemispherically "poleward" or "equatorward" as opposed to simply "south"?

Best,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:53 am

MGmirkin wrote:Strangely, Wal seems to be saying the opposite of Birkeland? Hmm, might have to clarify.
Yes, there seems to be a contradiction. I am assuming that Birkeland's "zone of patches" is the same as jet stream.

What does he man by "south"? Wouldn't one jet stream in one hemisphere move south and the other in the opposite hemisphere move north? Did he instead mean hemispherically "poleward" or "equatorward" as opposed to simply "south"?
As I was reading the references to the jet stream in Thornhill's articles I took it as meaning a stronger current to Earth from the Sun moved the jet stream toward the equator, ie south from a northern hemisphere perspective, however you are correct, it is not clear.

From the TPOD [url2=http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/ ... eather.htm]Hows the Weather[/url2]?
The Electric Universe identifies more effects: Currents to the surface affect the jet streams, moving them closer to the equator when solar activity causes geomagnetic storms.
These pieces on the jet stream are sidebars within articles dealing with other topics. The subject of jet streams as an aspect of electrically generated weather is an area worthy of more detailed analysis.

nick c

keeha

Unread post by keeha » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Hmm.. thought of Nick's page1 post on Venus when I read this about earth:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_vortex
The breakdown of the polar vortex is an extreme event known as a Sudden stratospheric warming, here the vortex completely breaks down and an associated warming of 30-50 degrees over a few days can occur. The Arctic vortex is elongated in shape, with two centres, one roughly over Baffin Island in Canada and the other over northeast Siberia.
Dynamics of sudden stratospheric warming
In a usual northern-hemisphere winter, several minor warming events occur, with a major event occurring roughly every two years. One reason for major stratospheric warmings to occur in the Northern hemisphere is because orography and land-sea temperature contrasts are responsible for the generation of long (wavenumber 1 or 2) Rossby waves in the troposphere. These waves travel upward to the stratosphere and are dissipated there, producing the warming by decelerating the mean flow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossby_wave
Rossby waves in the atmosphere are easy to observe as (usually 4-6) large-scale meanders of the jet stream. When these loops become very pronounced, they detach the masses of cold, or warm, air that become cyclones and anticyclones and are responsible for day-to-day weather patterns at mid-latitudes.

Jaythree

Unread post by Jaythree » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Relevant though possibly peripheral to this thread, see the link below to a heretical paper by a mainstream scientist on the magnetosphere. Gregory Ryskin of the Northwestern University School of Engineering and Applied Science proposes how electrical currents in the oceans interact with Earth's magnetic field (and may even cause it, possibly refuting the theory of a molten-core-generated field). It is interesting then to consider how electrical currents might be induced in oceans, thus providing a stronger connection between solar activity and Earth's climate.

See http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1367-2630 ... 38e6461c62

Dr. Ryskin's brave and reasoned attempt to revise conventional geophysical models would seem to make him a good candidate for EU advocacy. If anyone out there in Thunderbolts Land is qualified in magnetohydrodynamics and willing to make contact, his email address is on the paper.

mharratsc

Plasma plumes on Earth?

Unread post by mharratsc » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:58 pm

I was checking out the radar map at weather.com, and saw something that really struck me as peculiar.

I'm sure everyone in North America has been watching the clouds churning through the jet stream here the past couple of days. It finally started to break up a bit over Minnesota. Except for this one spot a bit northwest of St Cloud...

I watched the time-lapse of cloud cover just zinging by this one spot, yet the area itself continued to produce a very heavy radar return- it showed as really heavy thunderstorm-type stuff. The rest of the clounds just kept whizzing on by, but these 3 spots kept this very dense radar return almost immobile for several hours at least. Moreso, the 'spots' seemed anchored on their southwest edges, and the northeast/eastern edges of them almost looked like plumes blowing away with the rest of the cloud cover.

Damnest thing... I've never noticed anything like that before. Usually you see a heavy front roll in, roll through, and roll out, right along with the rest of the cloud cover. Not these things- just sat there on the radar return looking for all the world like little red volcano plumes anchored to one spot and blowing hot air downwind along the path of the jetstream there...

Mike H.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Lloyd

Re: Plasma plumes on Earth?

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:16 pm

* I think stationary weather radar images generally indicate effects related to ground clutter, as I've heard it called. I suppose it is correct to call the atmosphere plasma, since it seems to be slightly charged and has increasing voltage with altitude. I haven't heard of radar being able to detect plasma, unless the water in rain clouds etc is necessarily charged and therefore plasma.
* I just did a search and found this: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD ... tTRDoc.pdf .
* It says:
Optical and Radio Remote Sensing of Space Plasma Turbulence
AFOSR Grant FA9550-05-1-0091
Project Summary
Experiments were conducted at Arecibo, Puerto Rico to investigate naturally-occurring and radio wave induced ionospheric plasma turbulence. The intriguing phenomena reported here include large-scale turbulence created by tsunami-launched gravity waves [Lee et al., J. Geophys. Res., 2008] and short-scale turbulence generated by VLF waves from the Navy transmitter (code-named NAU) in Puerto Rico [Labno et al., J. Geophys. Res., 2007].
* The first sentence sounds like an experiment similar to HAARP. The second sentence seems kind of incredible, although the meaning isn't clear here. You might have to read further to gather the exact meaning of tsunami. It seems that tsunami likely means a large ocean wave as we normally understand it. But I thought they may have a special meaning for it relating to the atmosphere, instead of the ocean.
* It seems that the likely meaning of the sentence is that tsunamis cause gravity waves in the atmosphere that reach up to and disturb the ionosphere. I suppose a gravity wave is a measure of the force of gravity in which it increases and decreases slightly in a sine wave pattern over tsunamis. If so, that's pretty interesting.
* Does anyone want to read more of the article to see more clearly what it's about?

mharratsc

Re: Plasma plumes on Earth?

Unread post by mharratsc » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:06 pm

I would be interested to see what they are calling a 'gravity wave'. As far as I know, they haven't been able to detect a thing at the gravity wave test site in Antartica.

As to the radar I was talking about- the radar I was looking at was the national atmospheric radar mosaic from http://www.weather.com. Not ground clutter in this instance. I checked the map again, and now the stationary 'cells' are now a semi-circle of bright red, heavy stormcells slowly moving east that they have now called a tornado watch on...

It's got me thinking ;)
Mike H.

Birkeland

Anthony Watts: NCAR spots the “transistor effect”

Unread post by Birkeland » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Former meteorologist Anthony Watts' comments on a new climate report published by ScienceMag.org
NCAR spots the “transistor effect” – Small solar activity fluctuations amplify to larger climate influences

Some months back, I mentioned that I felt the sun-earth connection was much like a transistor. This new NCAR study suggests this may be the case where small solar variances are amplified in the earth atmosphere-ocean system.
And that's that from Watts. He continues by quoting a short summary from EurekAlert:
Small fluctuations in solar activity, large influence on the climate

Sun spot frequency has an unexpectedly strong influence on cloud formation and precipitation

Our sun does not radiate evenly. The best known example of radiation fluctuations is the famous 11-year cycle of sun spots. Nobody denies its influence on the natural climate variability, but climate models have, to-date, not been able to satisfactorily reconstruct its impact on climate activity.

Researchers from the USA and from Germany have now, for the first time, successfully simulated, in detail, the complex interaction between solar radiation, atmosphere, and the ocean. As the scientific journal Science reports in its latest issue, Gerald Meehl of the US-National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and his team have been able to calculate how the extremely small variations in radiation brings about a comparatively significant change in the System “Atmosphere-Ocean”.
Katja Matthes of the GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, and co-author of the study, states: „Taking into consideration the complete radiation spectrum of the sun, the radiation intensity within one sun spot cycle varies by just 0.1 per cent. Complex interplay mechanisms in the stratosphere and the troposphere, however, create measurable changes in the water temperature of the Pacific and in precipitation”.

Top Down – Bottom up

In order for such reinforcement to take place many small wheels have to interdigitate. The initial process runs from the top downwards: increased solar radiation leads to more ozone and higher temperatures in the stratosphere. “The ultraviolet radiation share varies much more strongly than the other shares in the spectrum, i.e. by five to eight per cent, and that forms more ozone” explains Katja Matthes. As a result, especially the tropical stratosphere becomes warmer, which in turn leads to changed atmospheric circulation. Thus, the interrelated typical precipitation patterns in the tropics are also displaced.

The second process takes place in the opposite way: the higher solar activity leads to more evaporation in the cloud free areas. With the trade winds the increased amounts of moisture are transported to the equator, where they lead to stronger precipitation, lower water temperatures in the East Pacific and reduced cloud formation, which in turn allows for increased evaporation. Katja Matthes: “It is this positive back coupling that strengthens the process”. With this it is possible to explain the respective measurements and observations on the Earth’s surface.

Professor Reinhard Huettl, Chairman of the Scientific Executive Board of the GFZ (Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres) adds: “The study is important for comprehending the natural climatic variability, which – on different time scales – is significantly influenced by the sun. In order to better understand the anthropogenically induced climate change and to make more reliable future climate scenarios, it is very important to understand the underlying natural climatic variability. This investigation shows again that we still have substantial research needs to understand the climate system”. Together with the Alfred Wegener-Institute for Polar and Marine Research and the Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum the GFZ is, therefore, organising a conference “Climate in the System Earth” scheduled for 2./3. November 2009 in Berlin.

###
Meehl, G.A., J.M. Arblaster, K. Matthes, F. Sassi, and H. van Loon (2009), Amplifying the Pacific climate system response to a small 11 year solar cycle forcing, Science, 325, 1114-1118.
"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see" - Ayn Rand

Birkeland

Re: Anthony Watts: NCAR spots the “transistor effect”

Unread post by Birkeland » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:06 pm

A couple of days ago Watts ran an article containing the following, an excerpt:
One of the most spectacular manifestations of the dynamic Sun-earth environment or space weather is the aurora borealis in the northern hemisphere and aurora austrialis in the southern Polar Regions. “Since the space age, we now understand these phenomena to be specifically related to the processes of the electric and plasma dynamic environment that exists around the Earth, and these processes result from interactions between the solar wind and the Earth’s magnetosphere,” Clauer added.

Today, the science of space plasma physics has matured, but the goal remains for scientists and engineers to accurately predict the properties of space weather, and this is also the goal of the National Space Weather Program. Space weather refers to the conditions on the sun and in the solar wind, magnetosphere, ionosphere, and thermosphere that can influence the reliability of space borne and ground-based technology or which can endanger human life or health.

Clauer’s office is physically located at the National Institute of Aerospace (NIA), a consortium of universities established in 2002 to develop excellence in research and education in a spectrum of aerospace related areas of study, including space science. The NIA teams with NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va., to conduct some of the nation’s most advanced aerospace and atmospheric research.

Earlier this year, members of the Space@VT group received a $6 million grant to build radar units. J. Michael Ruohoniemi, ECE associate professor, is leading this effort of which nearly $2 million of the award went to Virginia Tech and Space@VT, directed by Wayne Scales, also of ECE. Other participants in the grant, also from the NSF, are Dartmouth College, University of Alaska at Fairbanks, and the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU/APL).

These new radar units will complement the Super Dual Auroral Radar Network –– providing an acronym with a humorous touch, SuperDARN. This network is an international collaboration with support provided by the funding agencies of more than a dozen countries. The radars combine to give extensive views of the upper atmosphere in both the Arctic and Antarctic regions. The new radars will become part of a continuous chain of coverage that extends from Europe to eastern Asia.
"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see" - Ayn Rand

mharratsc

Re: Anthony Watts: NCAR spots the “transistor effect”

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:12 pm

Very intriguing. These guys could be the ones who complete some research into solar plasma dynamics that proves a great deal of what Wal Thornhill has been espousing for some time... I hope he's reading this! ;)

I have a feeling that EU is going to be getting some confirmatory remarks when they start realizing that the Earth is part of a circuit, and not an oversized ornament hanging 'in the wind of the Sun'.

One thing that strikes me as a pertinent point on this discovery tho-

If the system is that sensitive to change, what kind of effects can we expect from those HAARP-like systems conducting ionospheric 'stimulation'?? :\

Mike H.
Mike H.