MM - NASA GSFC talk by Don Scott

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

MM - NASA GSFC talk by Don Scott

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 am

On March 16, 2009 Dr. Donald E. Scott, author of The Electric Sky presented a talk and slide show to a group of engineers, astrophysicists and others at the Goddard Space Flight Center.

The talk was well-received in the main, especially when one considers the nature of both the message and the audience.

NASA have now made a video copy of the presentation available to watch directly from their website, or alternatively right-click on the link above and select "Save Target As" (Explorer) or "Save Link As" (Firefox) to download it to your machine and watch it at your leisure. [More...]
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Tzunamii

Re: MM - NASA GSFC talk by Don Scott

Unread post by Tzunamii » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Wow :D
Way to go Doc!
This is one of the more uplifting things I've seen in a while.
I wonder if there was a Q&A afterward?
I'd like to have been a fly on the wall in there after the formalities broke up.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:25 pm

That was very good. I like Don's approach in just explaining these things from his practical experienced point of view as an EE and that they ought to be given consideration. "Knock on the door." Indeed that is all that has ever been asked.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:54 pm

Tzunamii wrote:I wonder if there was a Q&A afterward?

Yep, there was and by all accounts most of them were quite intelligent and meaninful questions, the presentation being generally well-received.

The only 'downer' I know of was Tom Bridgman, who apparently went to the talk with an agenda. He was quite personable to Don's face, but then wrote an entry on his own site which was less than friendly.

Bridgman is an anti-creationism fanatic, yet is for some reason trying to put EU and creationism into the same basket, something only a zealot would do, IMHO. Apparently some creationists somewhere have used some EU material to bolster their arguments, so he sees EU as being a creationist thing. Nothing could be further from the truth, but that doesn't seem to phase him. Funny thing is, the longer he keeps on about EU the more fanatical he looks as an anti-crationist, as EU has nothing to do with creationism, and certainly not the fundamentalist stuff he's fighting against. Go figure.

But anyway, Don had a good reception from other attendees, who were there primarily to learn or consider something new to them.

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007

M5k

Unread post by M5k » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:48 am

davesmith_au wrote: The only 'downer' I know of was Tom Bridgman, who apparently went to the talk with an agenda. He was quite personable to Don's face, but then wrote an entry on his own site which was less than friendly.
After having read through his blog, I find it pretty nice of him to actually do all this math that apparently none of us are able to do. Ignoring the somewhat hostile tone and the creationism issues, which are irrelevant to the science anyway, it feels kind of like being peer-reviewed, doesn't it? :D

That said, he raises a few issues that should probably be addressed, such as the Solar Resistor Model and Solar Capacitor Model Entries.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:36 pm

I just finished watching the video, a very nice introduction to the Electric Universe. It is my guess that there will be a few technical and scientific people from NASA who are going to be reading The Electric Sky.
Ideas are like seeds and Dr. Scott has, hopefully, found some fertile ground at Goddard.
Well done!

nick c

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:38 am

I am sure a few of the attendees had a few... "oooooohhhh so that's why that mission failed" moments after the talk.

willo

Unread post by willo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:07 am

All,

I can't get the links to this video to work.

http://www.thunderbolts.info/mmarchives ... sfcdsp.htm links to http://mediaman.gsfc.nasa.gov/colloquia ... 090316.asx. However, that links doesn't load in two different browsers and two different movie players. I think the link is dead.

Can anyone provide another URL to this video? I'd love to see Don Scott's GSFC Talk.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:47 am

Giday willo, thanks for letting us know it doesn't work any more. We thought NASA may only make the video available for six months or so, but haven't checked since.

As the video is (or should be) public domain, I'll check on a few things and see if I can't rustle up a copy to post a link to. You may need to be patient for a day or two. Watch this space...

Cheers, Dave.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Just as an aside and possibly for historical interest, this announcement/abstract summary is still posted at the NASA site.

http://ecolloq.gsfc.nasa.gov/archive/20 ... scott.html
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland 20771

ENGINEERING COLLOQUIUM

Monday, March 16, 2009 / 3:30 PM, Building 3 Auditorium

Donald E. Scott

"Plasma Physics' Answer to the New Cosmological Questions"

ABSTRACT -- It is becoming evident that the experimentally verifiable results of the last century of study of the plasma state of matter are applicable in the clarification of certain anomalous astronomical observations. The work of pioneers such as Birkeland, Langmuir, and Alfvén are briefly reviewed as examples of this. Some basics of the characteristics of both laboratory and cosmic plasma are included - such as the properties of double layers, plasma operating modes, and the causes of filamentation. Rotation profiles of spiral galaxies, pulsar emissions, magnetic reconnection, and the stability of neutron stars are discussed from the point of view of the known properties of plasmas and electromagnetic fields. The presentation attempts to motivate the realization that 'new science' should not be invoked unless and until all aspects of what we already know, including plasma physics and basic electromagnetism, have been exhaustively applied in the investigation of what appear to be astronomical anomalies.

SPEAKER -- Donald E. Scott earned his Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Electrical Engineering at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, CT. Following graduation he worked for General Electric in Schenectady, NY (large steam turbine generators), and Pittsfield, MA. (lightning arresters). He earned a Doctorate in Electrical Engineering at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts, and was a member of the faculty of the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering at the University of Massachusetts/Amherst from 1959 until his retirement in 1998. During that time he was the recipient of several good-teaching awards. He was, at various times, Assistant Department Head, Director of the undergraduate program, Graduate admissions coordinator, and Director of the College of Engineering’s Video Instructional Program. In 1987, the McGraw-Hill Book Company published his 730-page textbook, An Introduction To Circuit Analysis - A Systems Approach. He has authored numerous scientific papers and chapters including two that will be published by the IEEE shortly. He is a lifelong amateur astronomer. Some of the author’s images of astronomical objects can be viewed at: http://members.cox.net/dascott2/ImageList.html (a non-government link).

Colloquium Committee Sponsor: Jan Kalshoven, NASA-GSFC (retired), 301/286-8506
Next Week: "Xxxx", X X, X Engineering Colloquium home page: http://ecolloq.gsfc.nasa.gov
Very nice images from Dr. Scott at the cox.net link referenced just above.
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: MM - NASA GSFC talk by Don Scott - problem solved...

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Willo (and others), NASA appear to have taken down the video, so we've placed a copy on-site which you can download and watch on your own machine. It's available from the multimedia page as before:

http://www.thunderbolts.info/mmarchives ... sfcdsp.htm

Cheers, Dave.

willo

Unread post by willo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 am

Dave,

This video works for me. Thanks for hosting and posting. :)