Electrically charged rocks?

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MarcusDrake

Electrically charged rocks?

Unread post by MarcusDrake » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:07 pm

I'm in an electronics class and they taught me something I found interesting. The Piezoelectric effect uses electricity to cause quartz crystal to vibrate. Also, if you apply pressure to a quartz crystal, it creates an electrical charge. I was thinking, if there is billions of tons of quartz crystal all over in the earth's crust under countless billions of tons of rock, wouldn't all the crystals create an enormous electrical charge?

What effect could this have on the planet and the life living upon it?
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." Albert Einstein

solrey

Re: Electrically charged rocks?

Unread post by solrey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:33 pm

I believe this paper describes compressed rock acting as a semi-conductor in the EM field that was monitored prior to, and during, an earthquake: :o

http://www.nat-hazards-earth-syst-sci.n ... 5-2009.pdf
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

MattEU

Unread post by MattEU » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:18 pm

Marcus, you are on the right track. Everything is electric. The best thing about the EU is that you will follow the logic and come up with ideas like this and then find out that others also came to the same conclusion. This obviously does not prove the EU but it shows that the Electric Universe logic is logical to all, no matter what type of education and knowledge they have. One of the greatest moments of my EU journey was when Wal Thornhill confirmed an idea I had!

Compare that to standard science and the fact that its hard for people to understand the logic of Einstein, string theory, Quantum Mechanics. Black Holes, Dark Matter etc.

I think i speak for all when I say that the real reason for not much response from the forum readers is not that the idea is wrong or not interesting, its just that it has been dicussed already. If you want to ask more questions about your idea then I am sure that people will be happy to respond and discuss them. But then again maybe its time to have another look at the subject :)

Did you ask your lecturerer if the Piezoelectric effect was the cause of earthquakes?

MarcusDrake

Unread post by MarcusDrake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:46 pm

My lecturer didn't know anything about it, but she was rather intrigued by the idea. I did read the article that Solrey inked to in the post, it was about EM pulses and other anomalous readings received by an earthquake monitor situated within a couple kilometers of a California earthquake. It seems that the pressure waves induced by the stressed crust cause charges to build and release prior to an earthquake. One would think that this single instance would be enough to prompt the installation of these sensors near highly populated earthquake-prone areas, like Los Angeles. Llives and infrastructure could be saved with a week or two notice of an impending quake.

I have long been curious about electricity and its role in the universe. One of the questions which nags me is "What exactly IS charge?" Its easy to see and understand the characteristics of such things as wavelength and frequency, but what the hell is charge? What causes electrons to be negative (and why aren't they called negatrons?) and protons to be positive? Why are neutrons neutral? There is something to these subatomic particles that determines charge, but I've never seen anything except discussions about the effects rather than the causes of electrical charge.

It was actually an accident that led me to this site, I was researching something else entirely when it came up on Google. I had no idea this site existed nor that it would lead me towards the very ideas I had been thinking about! Strange how the universe seems to steer you toward answers when you put out what you want to find!
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." Albert Einstein

MarcusDrake

Unread post by MarcusDrake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:03 pm

I did find this website that had some cool stuff, and even attempts to explain what charge is but doesn't quite do it. Nonetheless, they explain how electric charges make everything in the universe. http://amasci.com/elect/charge1.html

MattEU

Unread post by MattEU » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Wal's site has an article on Electric Gravity including a bit on charge but maybe its not quite what you are looking for. I thought I also read an updated version of it somewhere on here but can not find it...

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 pm

* Michael Gmirkin wrote:
Here's a way-too-long list of papers by Friedmann Freund on the topic of the electronics of the earth's crust and earthquakes. Discussion of p-holes (positive holes; no dirty jokes, please...), piezoelectric stress, etc.
* See that list here:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... t=43#p3456
* This article says the Moho layer seems to be plasma:
http://www.ncgt.org/newsletter.php?action=download&id=6
* This thread suggests that the continents broke apart and slid on the Moho plasma layer to their present positions in a matter of days:
http://thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpBB3/v ... =75#p17292
* This TPOD says Earth is a self-repairing capacitor. It may not say this, but the ionosphere and the Moho layer may be the two plates of the capacitor.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2004/ ... acitor.htm
* This long thread was called "What is Charge?"
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... &sk=t&sd=a
* At the link below I said:
I quoted the Shock Dynamics theory about magnetic striping a few posts back. It suggests that mountain building was responsible for the variations in the magnetism, due to extreme piezoelectric effects, severe lightning etc, which, if great enough, might effect Earth's magnetic field intensity.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... 269a9a1e6b
* This thread discusses piezoelectric effects too:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... t=15#p9973
* The thread called "Earthquake Lights = Plasma" starts out by saying:
Just wondering if anyone is aware if any serious investigation has been carried out on the possibility that earthquake lights are a discharge plasma generated through piezoelectric effect by earth stress events.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... iew=unread
Last edited by Lloyd on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Total Science

Unread post by Total Science » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:48 pm

Solrey,

Dr. Freund told me that the piezoelectric effect has been known for some time but that his discovery is fundamentally different. Don't ask me how but that's what he told me... :D
"The ancients possessed a plasma cosmology and physics themselves, and from laboratory experiments, were well familiar with the patterns exhibited by Peratt's petroglyphs." -- Joseph P. Farrell, author, 2007

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm a subscriber to piezoelectric effects at every scale...
On another thread, "Telluric Currents", I made a comment similar to Marcus regarding crustal pressures and underground electric currents. Perhaps this is a good thread to revive this topic. Where are they and what is the extent of telluric currents? How do they run wrt fold/fault type features on the earth? How do they ly wrt magnetic "anomalies"? What does the "cross-section" of a telluric current look like? Are they superficial, or how deep are they found? This is such a new area, I'm guessing these questions have not been researched much, but wouldn't this be a great study for EU?
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Webo said:
I'm a subscriber to piezoelectric effects at every scale
Do you mean like when grains of sand or whole planets rub against each other?
Also, what's wrt and ly wrt?

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:10 pm

~
L,
With Respect To and Lay-ing WRT Telluric currents and piezo-electric effects;

"rubbing" might be one mechanical instigator of the 'effect' , but basically,
if one views the earth as (a) poly-hedral crystal then EM input from surrounding space will induce multi-frequency mechanical vibrations; and likewise
pressure fluctuations (produced thermally,frictionally, counter-rotationally, acoustically or whatever) will produce and radiate EM pulses/frequencies or "Telluric Currents".

There may be additional oscillators of an interior origin involved ><

~s~

MarcusDrake

Unread post by MarcusDrake » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Could a concentration of crystalline structures under the ocean perhaps account for the erratic compass readings often cited in the area of the Bermuda triangle? Powerful EM field fluctuations would certainly cause deviation in a magnetic compass, and since these pulses would be infrequent (as in the case of the earthquake pulses) any investigation into the mysterious stories told by countless aviators and sailors would be practically impossible.

Osmosis

Unread post by Osmosis » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:33 pm

With all of the ocean oil exploration over the past 60 years, using various types of magnetometers, both total field and vector, one would expect more real geophysical information about anomalous field readings, from the so-called Bermuda Triangle. :?: ;)

ElecGeekMom

Unread post by ElecGeekMom » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:09 pm

MarcusDrake wrote:It was actually an accident that led me to this site, I was researching something else entirely when it came up on Google. I had no idea this site existed nor that it would lead me towards the very ideas I had been thinking about! Strange how the universe seems to steer you toward answers when you put out what you want to find!
Who said, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears"?

ElecGeekMom

Unread post by ElecGeekMom » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:17 pm

I saw on this page:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... -the-Earth

this statement:

"If lightning ceased everywhere for even one hour, the Earth would discharge."

and it makes me raise these questions:

1. Why is that?

2. Where would the discharge be directed? The moon? The sun? Mars? Venus? Elsewhere?

3. What conditions would cause the Earth to cease to have lightning for an hour?

4. Has this happened in the past?