"Magnetic Reconnection" and the sun?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MGmirkin

"Magnetic Reconnection" and the sun?

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:14 pm

I was just writing a post relating to black holes and the "pinch" phenomenon. But one of the images didn't quite fit, and I don't think it was "quite" related...

However, I realized it was related to something else... The image in question was this image of a "reconnection region"

(3D model of "reconnection region"; again, keeping in mind that "reconnection" appears to be bogus, so we should consider what EXACTLY it is they're seeing...?)
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMAYXAUQPE_index_0.html

I realized that it mimicked Alfven's solar circuit diagram pretty closely!

(Alfven's solar circuit diagram)

Then I realized (from discussions on the "Magnetism: Form, structure, dynamics" and another thread I can't recall the title of) that it also mimics the behavior of plasma experiments on the ISS (the "plasmakristall" or "PKE Nefedov" experiments).

(Features of a complex plasma [in microgravity] (3 seconds superposition of particle trajectories))
http://www.mpe.mpg.de/pke/PKE/Results_e.html

and certain magnetic structures

(Cubic magnet?)

So, I guess the question is what's REALLY going on in that "reconnection region." Seems the researchers were wondering that too!

(Cluster hits the magnetic bull’s-eye)
ESA's spacecraft constellation Cluster has hit the magnetic bull's-eye. The four spacecraft surrounded a region within which the Earth’s magnetic field was spontaneously reconfiguring itself.

[...]

The null point exists in an unexpected vortex structure about 500 kilometres across. "This characteristic size has never been reported before in observations, theory or simulations," say Xiao, Pu and Wang.

[...]

Having identified one null point in three dimensions, the team now hopes to score future bull’s-eyes to compare nulls and see whether their first detection possessed a configuration that is rare or common.
Seems they don't have a clue what their own model is supposed to do? How... Odd!
Perhaps if they actually worked with plasmas in the lab, rather than re-inventing the wheel... Ahh well, c'est la vie!

Anyway, right now I'm interested in the relationship between the diagram of the "reconnection region" and the Alfven diagram of the sun. They seem to share some common features. It seems to me that both diagrams have something coming in at both poles, and leaving along the equator. In the sun's case it's the solar wind leaving along the equator. What of the "reconnection region?" Are we simply seeing something like a "pinch" and/or "plasmoid" that is short lived, and attendant magnetic fields with relation to that? Or is something else going on?

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: "Magnetic Reconnection" and the sun?

Unread post by davesmith_au » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:26 pm

You reminded me Michael, of Don Scott's Thunderblog article, "Magnetic Reconnection - Reinventing the Wheel". Anyone interested in the subject matter of this thread should read the article in full.

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:05 pm

MGmirkin wrote:I was just writing a post relating to black holes and the "pinch" phenomenon. But one of the images didn't quite fit, and I don't think it was "quite" related...

However, I realized it was related to something else... The image in question was this image of a "reconnection region"

(3D model of "reconnection region"; again, keeping in mind that "reconnection" appears to be bogus, so we should consider what EXACTLY it is they're seeing...?)
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMAYXAUQPE_index_0.html

I realized that it mimicked Alfven's solar circuit diagram pretty closely!

(Alfven's solar circuit diagram)

Anyway, right now I'm interested in the relationship between the diagram of the "reconnection region" and the Alfven diagram of the sun. They seem to share some common features. It seems to me that both diagrams have something coming in at both poles, and leaving along the equator. In the sun's case it's the solar wind leaving along the equator. What of the "reconnection region?" Are we simply seeing something like a "pinch" and/or "plasmoid" that is short lived, and attendant magnetic fields with relation to that? Or is something else going on?

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
I think you may be recalling the 'shapes' we often electrically referenced on a particular thread that I also can't recall the name of. Ummm.. It had to do with stone spheres, some of which were hollow and some which had an oval shape... or ridge like lapetus

We had also correlated the possibility of the relationship between the region I think you're speaking of and the equatorial electrojet and "plasma bands":

And... I remember referencing the dipole moment electrically meeting at the equator:

...as a possible explanation for the configuration.

and Moraki boulders...

...and I think there were corroborative examples of electromagnetically 'pinched' coins that began to take on the almond-like shape as well.

All of which were contained in that thread, and off shoots thereof, the name of which I can't recall. If I'm correct that is.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:47 pm

One thread was called "Challenge to Martian Blueberry Logic" [5 pages? only 1 archived tho'...?] (I think I archived this, but am not at the main machine I've used). If I can load all the pages, I'll re-archive it to this machine (home) too, just to be safe. There was also a 1-page thread entitled "Fulgurites" with some mention of Moeraki boulders, kettles, moqui marbles, etc.
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

earls

Unread post by earls » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:58 pm

These Moraki boulders you speak of...

They're known as "concretions" I read.

"They quite often form by the precipitation of a considerable amount of cementing material around a nucleus, often organic, such as a leaf, tooth, piece of shell or fossil. For this reason, fossil collectors commonly break open concretions in their search for fossil animal and plant specimens. One of the most unusual concretion nuclei, as documented by Al-Agha et al. (1995), are World War II military shells, bombs, and shrapnel, which are found inside siderite concretions found in an English coastal salt marsh."

Are you suggesting these geological features are created when a current (produced by earth) runs through the nucleus of the concretion which attracts magnetic molecules suspended in the medium?

:o

Check out the slices of this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Septarian_Nodule.jpg Gorgeous.

Also: http://tinyurl.com/2p5cu5

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 pm

earls wrote:Are you suggesting these geological features are created when a current (produced by earth) runs through the nucleus of the concretion which attracts magnetic molecules suspended in the medium?

:o

Check out the slices of this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Septarian_Nodule.jpg Gorgeous.

Also: http://tinyurl.com/2p5cu5
That Septarian Nod is beautiful.

The theoretical suggestion was entertained that Birkeland current induced plasma Z-pinch may have formed Moraki boulders and other stone spheres.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden