Terraforming Mars?

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

D_Archer

Terraforming Mars?

Unread post by D_Archer » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:23 am

Hi,

I made a new paper about "terraforming" Mars> http://vixra.org/pdf/1907.0566v1.pdf

Abstract: SpaceX wants to terraform Mars. Trying to make Mars more like Earth is akin to reverse
engineering the natural evolution of Mars as per Stellar Metamorphosis. Is it possible to turn back time and reverse engineer Mars? Is it a good idea to even attempt it?

Regards,
Daniel Archer

For the mods this thread is about the idea of the OP Subject: terraforming Mars? , it is not about stellar metamorphosis per se, anybody can contribute what they think about terraforming Mars. I hope my post stays its own subject and not lumped into the stellar metamorphosis thread.
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

allynh

Re: Terraforming Mars?

Unread post by allynh » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks for the links.

I'm working on a series of stories about the Burroughs System, with a living Earth, a living Moon, a living Venus, and a living Mars. I now need to rethink how I had the living Mars and then look at the other worlds for harvesting and turning into living worlds.

My stuff is in reaction to Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy. The trilogy is a fun read, but complete Fantasy. Everything they use to terraform violates known physical laws, especially EU/Plasma cosmology stuff. It's all Space Cadet stuff. HA!

I need to read the trilogy again, and pull out all my Edgar Rice Burroughs to see what I can play with.

Thanks...

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:43 am

allynh wrote:Thanks for the links.

I'm working on a series of stories about the Burroughs System, with a living Earth, a living Moon, a living Venus, and a living Mars. I now need to rethink how I had the living Mars and then look at the other worlds for harvesting and turning into living worlds.

My stuff is in reaction to Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy. The trilogy is a fun read, but complete Fantasy. Everything they use to terraform violates known physical laws, especially EU/Plasma cosmology stuff. It's all Space Cadet stuff. HA!

I need to read the trilogy again, and pull out all my Edgar Rice Burroughs to see what I can play with.

Thanks...
Your welcome, thanks for your interest. I have not read those books, but i do like science fiction. I think living on any other planet is technically possible, but would we really want to or need to?

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:39 am

Terraforming Mars is the stuff of Science Fiction. There is no way that any attempt at such a project is feasible in the foreseeable future.

From an EU perspective, there is the further complication that consensus Science is operating on the assumption that the Solar System is billions of years old with planets having been formed in or near their present orbits from the gravitational collapse of an original primeval molecular gas cloud.

Furthermore, what good would it do to create an Earth type atmosphere when there would be no magnetic field to cushion it from the scouring effect of the Solar Wind (electric current from the Sun)?

allynh

Unread post by allynh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:08 am

nick c wrote: Furthermore, what good would it do to create an Earth type atmosphere when there would be no magnetic field to cushion it from the scouring effect of the Solar Wind (electric current from the Sun)?
HA! That's the main plot at the end of A Princess of Mars.
However, the sudden breakdown of the Atmosphere Plant that sustains the planet's waning air supply endangers all life on Barsoom.
That's a Story feature, not a flaw.

There is so much to play with here, as far as Story goes. HA!

ja7tdo

Unread post by ja7tdo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:48 pm

Designing a planet is very interesting. When I think of the earth, there are many parts that I can only think of being designed by someone very well. In order to terraforming Mars, it is necessary to clarify the mechanism of the present Earth. You will have to clarify the causes and mechanisms of the atmosphere, water, barometric pressure, gravity, and wind. We also need to change the myth that rotation is happening by inertia.

Younger Dryas

Unread post by Younger Dryas » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:44 am

Some questions:

Faraday's Law of Induction; would be this step one for Mars?

It appears that the planet at one point in the not too distant past had Oceans - how would the absence of these come into play?

Would all of this take enormous spans of time to produce results? Would that be a deterrent?
"I decided to believe, as you might decide to take
an aspirin: It can't hurt, and you might get better."
-- Umberto Eco Foucault's Pendulum (1988)

ja7tdo

Unread post by ja7tdo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Younger Dryas wrote:
It appears that the planet at one point in the not too distant past had Oceans - how would the absence of these come into play?
Mars is still a young star and has never had a sea. A close look at the surface of Mars shows that it is expanding. Carbon dioxide and water are generated as it expands. On the earth, as the expansion progresses, a large amount of water is produced and turned to the sea. Mars has not expanded much yet.

The planet that is currently closest to Earth is Venus. Venus is still expanding, and when it is twice the diameter of the present, it will be calculated to be 1 atm. A lot of water will appear when the temperature drops.

Younger Dryas

Unread post by Younger Dryas » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:42 pm

ja7tdo wrote:
Younger Dryas wrote:
Mars is still a young star and has never had a sea. A close look at the surface of Mars shows that it is expanding. Carbon dioxide and water are generated as it expands. On the earth, as the expansion progresses, a large amount of water is produced and turned to the sea. Mars has not expanded much yet.

The planet that is currently closest to Earth is Venus. Venus is still expanding, and when it is twice the diameter of the present, it will be calculated to be 1 atm. A lot of water will appear when the temperature drops.
I'm guessing you're a big proponent for Expanding Earth, you may very well be correct in describing the conditions for an ocean's creation. I'm unable to find anything else remotely accurate regarding your post.
"I decided to believe, as you might decide to take
an aspirin: It can't hurt, and you might get better."
-- Umberto Eco Foucault's Pendulum (1988)

ja7tdo

Unread post by ja7tdo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:35 am

Younger Dryas wrote:
I'm guessing you're a big proponent for Expanding Earth, you may very well be correct in describing the conditions for an ocean's creation. I'm unable to find anything else remotely accurate regarding your post.
If you are interested, please read my article.
https://etherealmatters.org/eugeology

Prospector

Unread post by Prospector » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:58 pm

Well, first you have to know how.