Redshift

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Roshi

Redshift

Unread post by Roshi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:31 am

If I see a red light, does that mean the source of that light is speeding away from me?
"Of course", says mainstream "science".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift
A redshift occurs whenever a light source moves away from an observer. A special instance of this is the cosmological redshift, which is due to the expansion of the universe, and sufficiently distant light sources (generally more than a few million light years away) show redshift corresponding to the rate of increase in their distance from Earth.
Wikipedia does not even bother to mention other causes for redshift. Maybe there aren't any.
In the same way there are no causes for light bending in space, except relativity. Refraction happens only on Earth.

This means science can't explain a redlight, like the one in the picture, this is a scientific mystery:

Maol

Re: Redshift

Unread post by Maol » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 am

Albert Einstein — 'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'

kodybatill

Unread post by kodybatill » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:40 pm

I would say that red shift is probably mass interactions from Near-infra Red Inert Gases - Electrical Inert gas hydrate dyes - and also other infra-red elements like sulfur - and then white red elements like oxygen. It truly can occur whether a Galaxy is moving toward us or away.

Roshi

Unread post by Roshi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:36 am

"Bending light":
https://phet.colorado.edu/sims/html/ben ... ht_en.html

This does not happen in space. There is no refraction in space, even if space is full of "nebulae" and "hot gas". In space only relativity bends light.
Unless someone can find a mainstream article about refraction in space, after a lazy search I did not find any.

willendure

Unread post by willendure » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Roshi wrote: This means science can't explain a redlight, like the one in the picture, this is a scientific mystery:
Red-shifted means "reduced in frequency". It does not mean "light which is colored red".

In the context of the visible light from stars, it means that light is shifted lower towards the more red end of the spectrum.

The red traffic light is not a scientific mystery.

Roshi

Unread post by Roshi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:23 pm

And isn't it the same thing? I was being sarcastic. Science cannot explain a red light - in space. In space there are no stationary red-lights, there is no refraction, and there are magnetic fields - but no electric currents that produce magnetic fields. Most strange, but of course - true...

If we could not see that the traffic light pole is sitting still in relation to us - on Earth, if the traffic light would be very far away, some smart guy could say it's red because it's moving away.

And it's moving - basically because there was a big bang, and since then everything moves, and redshift is proof of this (the reverse is also true), and so on...