Can Wind Turbines Really Work On Mars?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Metryq

Can Wind Turbines Really Work On Mars?

Unread post by Metryq » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:34 am

YouTube video on gaming: Can Wind Turbines Really Work On Mars?

I loved the allusion to all the "wind blown" topography, and especially the graphic captioned: "Dust devils result from sunshine warming the ground."

Metryq

Re: Can Wind Turbines Really Work On Mars?

Unread post by Metryq » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:22 am

The reply on YouTube is pretty much what I expected. It's Thunderbolts that cherry picks data. Wikipedia says so.

EDIT: I looked up NASA articles on wind turbines on Mars, and the feasibility assessment was made with computer models of dust storms. Well, I'm convinced. Where do I sign?

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:22 pm

I see nuclear mentioned in the Youtube comments and found this page:

NASA Mini-Reactors Could Power Outposts on the Moon and Mars
Even with its heat shielding and external systems, the Kilopower device is no bigger than a garbage can, and it's capable of generating power for years or even decades.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/ ... moon-mars/

I'd like one of those too.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 pm

But nookyaler will kill us all!

Sensible and informed people can be found on YouTube. A wind turbine might work on Mars. If I were on the first wave, I'd want the mini reactors along. Among the experiments might be turbines—to see if they actually work outside the assumptions of a computer model. Relying on sunlit patches of ground to stir up dust devils is too much like betting all the colony's water on de-orbiting one comet. ("Dang! It's nothing but a dry rock!")