Oumuamua - No discharge coma?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Cargo

Re: Oumuamua - No discharge coma?

Unread post by Cargo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:39 pm

verisimilitude wrote:
Cargo wrote:Your funny. EU has made no predictions about this unknown object.
EU has made general predictions about what should happen to objects moving into the inner solar system from the outer solar system. This object did not play along, hence my concerns (which have been addressed.)

Cheers.
Where are these predictions? Or maybe you're confusing a model with a prediction.

You must have an even greater concern for all the snowball comet predictions that have failed.
interstellar filaments conducted electricity having currents as high as 10 thousand billion amperes

verisimilitude

Unread post by verisimilitude » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Cargo wrote:Where are these predictions? Or maybe you're confusing a model with a prediction.
I can only assume you have not watched the Space News video. But again - the root issue is already been addressed.

Cargo

Unread post by Cargo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:49 pm

You would be mistaken. So to be clear then. This object is 'new' and generally an 'unknown' that we've never seen before. And by 'seen' I mean like just barely a twinkle of a few glimmers.

An asteroid flew by very close the other day. It didn't have a coma/tail either. Lot's of bodies don't have them. Just the same a lot do, but some are only visible in exotic wavelengths, or only by direct measurement.

How many predictions has the snow ball sublimation model failed? Nearly all I think.

It's beyond reason to even react as if this new object, like none other before, somehow detracts or even contradicts the massive success the E-Comet theory and models have predicted and proven.

There are so many other real scientific reasons to be excited about this object. I'm very glad with the on-time nature of this weeks news. Or was it last week, anyway..
interstellar filaments conducted electricity having currents as high as 10 thousand billion amperes

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:52 pm

1I/'Oumuamua, formerly known as A/2017 U1, is a sizable body currently passing through the solar system. It is generally considered to be a rocky asteroid-like object that came from another planetary system in the Milky Way. We point out that 1I/'Oumuamua may instead be a chunk of dark matter, a "macro," possibly as massive as 1025g if it is of nuclear density. If so, then its passage will have caused measurable deviations in the orbits of Mercury, the Earth and Moon. - Could 1I/'Oumuamua be macroscopic dark matter?: (Submitted on 12 Nov 2017) D. Cyncynates et al
So; ummm... Well, I thought that, er ... Okay, from a certain angle there ... was...

Nevermind.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

kodybatill

Unread post by kodybatill » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:29 pm

Lolz!

DJunqueira

Unread post by DJunqueira » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:47 am

Had the comet shown any x-ray signature?
Should all comas be in glow mode?

I'm just a curious, not an expert...

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 am

DJunqueira wrote:Had the comet shown any x-ray signature?
Should all comas be in glow mode?

I'm just a curious, not an expert...
Yes, could be in dark mode. Does not have to be glow mode. I have not heard that x-ray was even looked at....

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

DJunqueira

Unread post by DJunqueira » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Because, please correct me if I'm wrong, if the asteroid does not have oxygen in its composition HO wouldn't be formed and then the glow may not appear.

moonkoon

Unread post by moonkoon » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Re DJunqueira: Had the comet shown any x-ray signature?

X-rays from comet comas (not the comet itself) have been detected,

... Chandra images of Comet LINEAR revealed an x-ray glow surrounding the Sun-facing side of its nucleus. The cold nucleus itself was invisible at x-ray wavelengths, but the gas around it was alive with variable x-ray emission.

This seemingly incongruous result -- energetic x-rays coming from the vicinity of a cosmic snowball -- did not amaze the researchers who were studying Comet LINEAR. But that's only because another comet had spoiled the surprise four years earlier when the European Space Agency's Roentgen satellite (ROSAT) spotted an x-ray glow around Comet Hyakutake.

... Astronomers using ROSAT decided to look at Hyakutake and they were shocked by what they saw. ROSAT images revealed a crescent-shaped region of x-ray emission around the comet 1000 times more intense than anyone had predicted! ... "Now we have our work cut out for us explaining these data, but that's the kind of problem you love to have." ...

It is theorized that the very highly ionized oxygen or nitrogen producing the x-rays comes from the sun.

...ACIS observations of Comet LINEAR revealed a strong x-ray signal from oxygen and nitrogen atoms that had lost most of their electrons, such as O6+. It's easy to remove one or two electrons from an atom like oxygen, but stripping away six electrons is hard to do. It can only happen in a high-energy environment where violent collisions or strong radiation disrupt the atom. Strongly charged ions are not produced by the relatively gentle vaporization of cometary ices, but they are common near the core of the Sun and in the Sun's super-heated outer atmosphere, the corona.

Scientists believe that the ions detected by Chandra around Comet LINEAR were carried there from the Sun's corona by fast-moving solar winds. ...

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/s ... st23aug_1m

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:06 pm

at last ...

Physicists Solve Mystery of Why Comets Emit X-Rays
To investigate how X-rays can be emitted from a comet, Oxford physicist Alexandra Rigby and colleagues performed experiments at the LULI laser facility at École Polytechnique in Paris, France, where they replicated the interaction of the solar wind with a comet.

“Our experimental results are important as they provide direct laboratory evidence that objects moving through magnetized plasmas can be sites of electron acceleration — a very general situation in astrophysics that takes place not only in comets, but also in planetary magnetospheres, such as our own Earth, or even in supernova remnants, where the ejected material moves across the interstellar gas,” said Professor Bob Bingham, from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and the University of Strathclyde.

“As a theorist I find it amazing that it is possible to sensibly replicate astrophysical phenomena in the laboratory, to test our physical understanding of what Nature gets up to,” said Dr. Raoul Trines, from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory. ...
http://www.sci-news.com/physics/comets- ... 05820.html

BeAChooser

Unread post by BeAChooser » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 pm

seasmith wrote:“As a theorist I find it amazing that it is possible to sensibly replicate astrophysical phenomena in the laboratory, to test our physical understanding of what Nature gets up to,” said Dr. Raoul Trines, from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory.
That attitude is the result of a mainstream *education*.

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:27 am

They knew it all along.

DJunqueira

Unread post by DJunqueira » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:55 am

Interstellar Visitor 'Oumuamua Is a Comet After All
https://www.space.com/41015-interstella ... 180628-sdc

"Classifying the object as a comet explains its arcing movement and nongravitational acceleration, as comets can be propelled by gas they release.
There are other possible explanations for this acceleration, like magnetic interaction with the solar wind, pressure from solar radiation, and forces of drag and friction. But the researchers ruled these out.
This leaves the remaining explanation that 'Oumuamua is propelled partially by gas, which would indicate that it is a comet."

What a conclusion...

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:34 am

DJunqueira wrote:Interstellar Visitor 'Oumuamua Is a Comet After All
https://www.space.com/41015-interstella ... 180628-sdc

"Classifying the object as a comet explains its arcing movement and nongravitational acceleration, as comets can be propelled by gas they release.
There are other possible explanations for this acceleration, like magnetic interaction with the solar wind, pressure from solar radiation, and forces of drag and friction. But the researchers ruled these out.
This leaves the remaining explanation that 'Oumuamua is propelled partially by gas, which would indicate that it is a comet."

What a conclusion...
I just read this article and indeed the leap to conclusion is baffling. The article reads like this, we dont know, we think, maybe, supposedly,... it must be outgassing..!

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

mistfall

Unread post by mistfall » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Yeah, I just read this article http://www.astronomy.com/news/2018/06/s ... n-asteroid and was laughing all the way through it.

It reads like, "Uh. No idea why this thing's doing what it's doing. But no point in re-examining any basic assumptions in our conventional theories, because, well... it's got to be doing something we already know about. Because we know what comets and asteroids do. No, really. We just don't quite know why this... uh... thing.. is doing... that."