I'd be embarassed to be a professional astronomer today

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Michael Mozina

I'd be embarassed to be a professional astronomer today

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 am

After watching that last TV show on black holes last night, I'm really grateful that I chose computer programming as my profession. I would be utterly embarrassed to call myself a 'professional' astronomer in 2017. Not only are they using placeholder terms for human ignorance to describe 95 percent of the universe, they're still using pseudoscience to mathematically model the remaining 5 percent of the universe that they actually claim to "understand'. They still can't explain something as simple as the heat source of the solar corona even though Kristian Birkeland not only explained it to them more than 100 years ago, he created an actual working model in his lab.

There is quite literally no actual 'knowledge' associated with astronomy 2017. LCDM theory is about as empirically credible as astrology in terms of the uselessness of it's predictions in the lab. Dark matter experiments in particular have been the single biggest financial boondoggle in the history of physics. LHC has crushed their popular exotic matter models, while simultaneously demonstrating the incredible accuracy of the predictions of the standard particle physics model, and reaffirming the value of empirical physics.

It would really suck to be a "professional astronomer" in 2017. It would be like calling myself a "professional astrologer" in terms of the utter uselessness of the whole industry. Assuming I had not already quit or been fired, I would not even be able to look myself in the mirror knowing that I had no actually knowledge, or anything useful to offer anyone. I'd have a pit in my stomach every time that anyone asked me about the universe, knowing full well that I didn't actually 'know' anything, and I'd cringe because I'd know that everything I might say to them is probably just BS.

If I had chosen to become an astronomer, in all probability I would have already long since been fired from my job for my heresy, and my so called 'education' would have no practical value whatsoever. I'd be a pariah in astronomy, and virtually unemployable. At least this way I can get up every morning knowing full well that I'm providing a useful service to my customers and my 'professional knowledge' has a real, tangible, and practical value to them. I'm really glad that I didn't pursue a career in astrology, I mean "astronomy". It would really be frustrating and sad to know that I had nothing useful to offer anyone for all my professional efforts through the years.

I'm actually very happy that I chose a different profession. Astronomy has no practical value in the real world. Almost everything 'useful' that happens in astronomy today is because of the hard work of "engineers", "computer scientists", and the practical application of Newton's formulas which are still used to navigate around our solar system. Nothing else in astronomy today has any real practical or explanatory value to humans on Earth. That's just sad IMO.

BeAChooser

Re: I'd be embarassed to be a professional astronomer today

Unread post by BeAChooser » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:08 pm

I feel the same. There was a time when I was growing up that entertained the idea of becoming an astronomer. My love of the subject was that great. But in the end I chose engineering and looking back I'm glad I did. At least I can say I did something useful with my life. I applaud you, Michael, for how much you know about this subject and how well you express it. And I'd say you're still more of an astronomer than 99.999% of the ones who now call themselves that. Perhaps that has something to do with the amount of plasma in the universe? ;)

comingfrom

Re: I'd be embarassed to be a professional astronomer today

Unread post by comingfrom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:45 am

Michael, take heart.

Had you chosen to become an astronomer, you would have been brainwashed,
and now think you are on the verge of knowing everything.
After all, you would know what happened right back to the first three nano-seconds of the Universe,
and you would have an extensive understanding of the internal workings of black holes,
and now you have merging black holes to work with!
Crikey, you'd be wetting your pants at this time in history.

And I bet you would have an answer for everything, and so excited about it,
you would be sharing with the world every way you could.

But best of all, that grant paid your house and new car,
and will keep you feverishly employed for the next few years,
by which time you can think up some new cosmic paradox that needs to be researched.

I can see why you are glad you are not astronomer.
But I don't believe you'd be too unhappy if you were.
Just a totally different person.

I like this Michael better :D
Paul