Is Earh Flat?

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

jtb

Is Earh Flat?

Unread post by jtb » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:30 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl8I3l-5ac
There are growing numbers of very convincing Flat Earth videos on U-Tube, bringing into question everything we were taught in school. Question Everything!!! For example, the Coriolis effect. My tub in NY drains CW while my sink drains CCW??? That's just one of many areas in question.

chrimony

Re: Is Earh Flat?

Unread post by chrimony » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:43 am

jtb wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl8I3l-5ac
There are growing numbers of very convincing Flat Earth videos on U-Tube, bringing into question everything we were taught in school.
There are a growing number of bullshit artists on YouTube, yes, that convince gullible and non-skeptical people without the ability to use critical thinking to believe in bullshit.

First problem: To believe in a flat earth, you have to believe in a vast, worldwide conspiracy by national space agencies, private space companies, satellite companies, airliners, map-makers, etc. That alone makes this topic inappropriate for this forum, and I know that a previous flat earth thread was locked on these grounds.
Question Everything!!! For example, the Coriolis effect. My tub in NY drains CW while my sink drains CCW??? That's just one of many areas in question.
If you want to "Question Everything!!!", then why don't you question your own claims? A simple search would explain that, in practice, whatever random or systemically biased motions are present will dominate any Coriolis effect. Of course, you can find real experiments that show a Coriolis effect, but for some reason those aren't believed by people who think water draining in their sink or balancing eggs on a table is some profound experiment.

Flat earth challenge: There's going to be a total solar eclipse in the United States this summer in the month of August. Pretty cool, I'm sure those in the United States would like to watch it. When and where? Well, real scientists have an accurate model to tell you that. Where's the flat earth model?

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:27 am

Flat earth has fake proponents (ie agents), this is actually a hoax/psyop/conspiracy and in that regard also not suitable for this forum.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:13 pm

chrimony wrote: To believe in a flat earth, you have to believe in a vast, worldwide conspiracy by national space agencies, private space companies, satellite companies, airliners, map-makers, etc. That alone makes this topic inappropriate for this forum, and I know that a previous flat earth thread was locked on these grounds.
Correct, thread locked.