Galen Winsor & Safe Nuclear Power Plants

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

jtb

Re: Galen Winsor & Safe Nuclear Power Plants

Unread post by jtb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Grey Cloud wrote: As far as I'm aware noboby is charging for a cure [radon]. People just stay away.
jtb wrote: I don't know about your state, but you can't sell a home in NY if radon levels are elevated. Of course they will ventilate your home to allowable levels for a price.
Grey Cloud wrote: How do you know he swallowed uranium? Was it done before credible expert witnesses?
jtb wrote: Watch the video. He also claims that fellow employees that questioned anything just didn't show up for work anymore.

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:32 pm

willendure wrote: If instant coffee were found in a nuclear reactor it would have to be disposed of as radioactive waste, sealed in a block of concrete and buried under ground. That is not to say that instant coffee is hugely radioactive, that is just the lengths to which handling radioactive waste safely is taken.

If he ate uranium he would be dead. He probably ate some low grade waste that was no more radioactive than instant coffee.
Galen claims that uranium is insoluble in bodily fluids. In other words it passes through your digestive system without being dissolved. Watch the video.

comingfrom

Solar thermal is the way to go

Unread post by comingfrom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:51 pm

It has taken all this time, from the time of the earthquake and tsunami till now, just to get the first camera into one of the containment chambers of the destroyed reactors at Fukushima. They still have no idea how to clean up the mess.

The Russians are spending a huge fortune building a new and bigger containment around the defunct Chernobyl reactor, to seal it up better and more permanently.

Even if we could make safe nuclear reactors, the next conventional war will be a nuclear war, simply by dropping conventional bombs on each other's nuclear reactors.

Natural and man made catastrophes don't seem to be factored in, when assessing the "safety" of nuclear generation.

Maybe we should give Mr Galen Winsor a job painting radium on watch faces
Paul

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Galen claims that uranium is insoluble in bodily fluids. In other words it passes through your digestive system without being dissolved.
It isn't the uranium you need to worry about, but the radiation from the uranium atoms that decay.

Isn't it?

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:35 pm

GC
Radon occurs naturally. There is a mine or mines in Derbyshire which is/are famous for it. As far as I'm aware noboby is charging for a cure. People just stay away.
The Therapeutic use of Radon: A Biomedical Treatment in Europe; An “Alternative” Remedy in the United States
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477705/
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

jtb

Re: Solar thermal is the way to go

Unread post by jtb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:48 pm

comingfrom wrote:Even if we could make safe nuclear reactors, the next conventional war will be a nuclear war,
Galen also discusses nuclear war and how the Russians have an inexpensive, practical solution to protecting their population from nuclear bombs.

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:51 pm

comingfrom wrote:It isn't the uranium you need to worry about, but the radiation from the uranium atoms that decay.
Galen claims radiation from uranium is harmless.

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:02 pm

GaryN wrote:The Therapeutic use of Radon: A Biomedical Treatment in Europe; An “Alternative” Remedy in the United States https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477705/
Thanks Gray. Galen doesn't go as far as claiming radon is beneficial. I wish someone would tell this to the legislators in NY.

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:26 pm

A lot of people believe nuclear bombs are a hoax too, and they have very convincing arguments.
It wouldn't surprise me if they are correct.

I had a friend who used to sleep with a lump of pitchblende under his pillow, because he believed radioactivity was beneficial for his health.
Unfortunately he died (not from radiation sickness), so I couldn't get a confirmation on the long term effects from him.

Here is an interesting case study. Maralinga: How British nuclear tests changed history forever
About 1,200 Aboriginal people were exposed to radiation during the testing. The radioactive fallout, called “puyu” (black mist) by Aboriginal people, caused sore eyes, skin rashes, diarrhoea, vomiting, fever and early death. Long term illnesses such as cancer and lung disease were found in the 1980s.
Paul

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:57 pm

comingfrom wrote:About 1,200 Aboriginal people were exposed to radiation during the testing. The radioactive fallout, called “puyu” (black mist) by Aboriginal people, caused sore eyes, skin rashes, diarrhoea, vomiting, fever and early death. Long term illnesses such as cancer and lung disease were found in the 1980s.
Thanks, comingfrom. Galen also talks about the dangers of radiation in the hands of doctors. He compares it to the sun. If it's not strong enough to burn you, it will not harm you.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:16 pm

To me, the issue here is dosage and exposure. e.g no salt or oxygen and you die; too much salt or oxygen and you die. The problem with radioactive stuff is that it hangs around for a very long time.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Thank you, jtb.
If it's not strong enough to burn you, it will not harm you.
Getting cancer some years later is harm, in my opinion.

Have you forgotten your history, about how the harm from radiation was first discovered?
Galen Winsor is sure hoping you have.
Paul

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:34 pm

To me, the issue here is dosage and exposure.
That's exactly it. The regulators in the US and Britain in particular though have insisted that there is no safe limit for radiation, and have set exposure levels so low and safety procedures so tough, and spread irrational fear into the public through the media, that they have demonised anything nuclear. For me, when Fermi had figured it all out, that should have been the beginning of a new "Golden Age", power too cheap to meter. My Dad worked for Ford in the late 50s, I remember an ad for the Ford Nucleon, decadence to the max IMO, but it seemed cool through the eyes of a kid.
The only experiments on the effects of radiation on humans have been rather controversial, as with Albert Stevens.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Stevens
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:32 am

"Eighteen people aged 4 to 69 were injected with plutonium. Subjects who were chosen for the experiment had been diagnosed with a terminal disease. They lived from 6 days up to 44 years past the time of their injection.[2] Eight of the 18 died within 2 years of the injection.[2] All died from their preexisting terminal illness, or cardiac illnesses. None died from the plutonium itself."

According to Wiki, Stevens lived to the age of 79. I have never knowingly been exposed to plutonium, but I hope to make it as far as he did.

Galen was 82.

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:46 am

Thanks for the link Gary, but I have to reevaluate my position on the safety of nuclear fuel. The Ford Nuclean could travel 5,000 miles between refueling. It would put me out of business. I sell motor oil.