Meteorology is a Cargo Cult Science

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

jimmcginn

Meteorology is a Cargo Cult Science

Unread post by jimmcginn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:03 am

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/01/17/ ... nt-2399801

Anthony Watts:
. . . inside an intense tornado, it’s always chilly — no matter the time of year.

Jim McGinn:
No duh. Obviously the reason air is rushing into it is because of low pressure. That Watts--a prominent meteorologists--thinks this this is surprising demonstrates how out of touch with reality meteorologists are about the physics of the atmosphere.

Tornadoes are the tail end of a much larger dog, a jet stream.

Tornadoes will appear mysterious to anybody dumb enough to believe the absurd notion that convection causes storms and atmospheric flow.

Meteorology is a religion that appeals to the lowest common denominator of what people want to believe.

Meteorology is the epitome of what Feynman calls a cargo cult science.

James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes

john666

Re: Meteorology is a Cargo Cult Science

Unread post by john666 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:31 pm

jimmcginn, do you believe that the origin of oxygen in our atmosphere, is from trees and plants?

I myself don't believe in that, because if that was so, Sahara(9,200,000 square kilometers), would have smaller density of oxygen in its air, then for example Spain or Italy, and yet that is not so.

Any thoughts on that?

LunarSabbathTruth

Unread post by LunarSabbathTruth » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:59 pm

jimmcginn wrote:....

Feynman himself was a big science cult leader.

- joe

jimmcginn

Unread post by jimmcginn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 pm

john666 wrote:jimmcginn, do you believe that the origin of oxygen in our atmosphere, is from trees and plants?

I myself don't believe in that, because if that was so, Sahara(9,200,000 square kilometers), would have smaller density of oxygen in its air, then for example Spain or Italy, and yet that is not so.

Any thoughts on that?
Well, going by the fossil evidence, it kind of makes sense to me (ie. Carboniferous). But I can't claim to have put much thought into it.

Regards,

James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes

jimmcginn

Unread post by jimmcginn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:21 pm

LunarSabbathTruth wrote:
jimmcginn wrote:....

Feynman himself was a big science cult leader.

- joe
I don't disagree. For example, his understanding of H2O structure was rather amateurish, yet even now people will quote his thinking on this subject as if they were quoting God.