New here

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Wedman

Re: New here

Unread post by Wedman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:26 am

Thanks for accepting me to this forum. I first read about the Electric Universe less than a month ago and I was hooked. Since then I've read a lot and watched many videos and now I've come to the point that I would like to start sharing some ideas. Here's my introduction.

I'm 42 years old and live in Sweden with my family (wife and three kids; 14, 11 and 8) and work as statistician at the tax agency. At university 1995-2000 I studied other subjects like archaeology (B.Sc. level) and philosophy of science (M.Sc.) before studying statistics.

I've always been quite open minded but earlier I've rejected many fringe theories (like Velikovsky, abiotic oil, levitation ...) that did not fit into standard science and at the same time felt that there are many strange parts in standard science (big bang/expansion of universe, black holes, warping of spacetime ...). [I was going to write "anomalies" instead of "strange parts" but that would not be true. I wish that I would have come to that Kuhnian conclusion by myself but I didn't.] Now that I've given the Electric Universe theories a chance it feels like a puzzle coming together.

At a start I'm especially interested in these aspects:

Prehistoric disasters
Since reading Thor Heyerdahl long ago I've been convinced that all high cultures have a common origin. Later I've come to the conclusion that the original culture was destroyed in a disaster long before 3000 BC. EU offers many possible explanations and hopefully means to study the problem scientifically.

Lost ancient technologies and knowledge
There are many myths about lost Technologies (like levitation), and many archaeological remains (like some megalithic building) that are hard to explain with the standard understanding of prehistoric technology. I think that it's possible that EU theories can help explain more and maybe even lead to rediscovery of lost knowledge.

Energy supply
I've been part of the green movement since I was a kid and today I'm member of the green party. I still think that our way of living is unsustainable with pollution, destruction of many natural environments and so on but maybe, maybe EU theories can lead to new sources for our energy demand.

Predicting disaster
Our complex society is extremely vulnerable to disturbances and need to be more resilient. I hope that better understanding of risks (cause and effect) will make us better to predict and handle future disasters.

Philosophy of Science
When I studied philosophy of science I learned that science is highly irrational. Much of the literature we read was about Galileo and the old geocentric model and not about modern science. There's a lot to learn from how anomalies are handled in the standard science today.

Cosmology
The grand questions of cosmology are not only relevant to a small group of theoretical physicist but they affect more or less how all people look upon their selves and the meaning of their lives. I think that the present gravitational cosmology is lifeless and that it can contribute to depression and to making people feel that their lives are without meaning.

Civilizational stagnation
I think that the stagnation of modern science influences our whole civilization and I hope that a new basis for the sciences would vitalize not only science but many parts of human societies.

Webbman

Unread post by Webbman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:51 am

You come to the right place :)

welcome aboard!
its all lies.

Wedman

Unread post by Wedman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:10 am

Webbman wrote:You come to the right place :)

welcome aboard!
Thanks!

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:29 pm

A converstion between wedman and webbman is going to get very confusing, very fast. :?

Welcome aboard, er, one of you. :)
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

moses

Unread post by moses » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi Wedman, if you could sign off your posts with another name, or give us another name to call you, that would help.

You will be very valuable to this forum, and particularly in this New Ideas section. We all here seem to have come up with different theories, and solving the puzzle of the past is extremely addictive. I'd just like to make some comments about your 'aspects'.

Fitting an original worldwide culture into the story of the past suggests a very ancient civilization, or else the recovery of a population after a major disaster. A population growing from small numbers on a plentiful Earth could easily achieve a high culture.

I'm a greenie. So many things we see are disturbing. Much of Australia, where I live, is desert or destroyed land. Given enough energy we can have ample water in these lands. Making self-sustaining communities on this land will be most arduous, but offers the best hope for survival and a better future.

We go into cosmology here, and the philosophy of god, but no religions. It is the materialist doctrine that can easily result in feeling there is no meaning.

So I hope that you feel that you are in the right place.
Cheers,
Mo

Wedman

Unread post by Wedman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:28 am

Grey Cloud wrote:A converstion between wedman and webbman is going to get very confusing, very fast. :?

Welcome aboard, er, one of you. :)
Thanks!
moses wrote:Hi Wedman, if you could sign off your posts with another name, or give us another name to call you, that would help.
[---]
Cheers,
Mo
Cheers!
Wedman is my last name (I prefer not to be anonymous so that I only writes what I can stand for in real fife) so I'll stick to that :)

My own (undergraduate) research in archaeology in the 90s was directed to human genetics and the research on these subjets have exploded during the last years. I think that the results supports the theory that modern humans evolved in Africa and spread into Europe and Asia and that there were a second dispersal out of Southeast Asia. I believe that some (electrical?) disasters destroyed a high culture in the now flooded Sundland (See Voyages of the Pyramid Builders by Robert Schoch and Eden in the East by Stephen Oppenheimer. Schoch has later written about plastma disasters in Forgotten Civilization.) but that might be a discussion for another thread :)

moses

Unread post by moses » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Wedman,
the change in creatures beween Bali and Lombok is amazing. Such a short distance and along a chain of islands. The large differences in creatures indicates there should be a large distance between asia and australia and seperated by vast amounts of ocean and perhaps on different plates. But the chain of islands suggests faulting in the opposite direction.

It is strange that the Sundland story is very alike the Atlantis story.
I will have to brush up on Schoch.

Cheers,
Mo