Question about strange illusion of sun's path across the sky

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

john666

Question about strange illusion of sun's path across the sky

Unread post by john666 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:59 am

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 23AAYCYGb#

"Since I began coming to Florida from Chicago, I seem to have noticed a strange illusionary type of phenomenon with the sun's path across the sky. In Chicago and in northern Wisconsin, the sun keeps going smoothly across the sky as the day goes on. But in Florida especially southern Florida it seems as though the sun shoots up from the horizon in the morning, seems to literally almost stall in the middle of the sky during the middle of the day, especially between around 10 am and 4 pm, and then accelerates and just drops like a rock below the horizon in the evening.

Has anyone else noticed that type of phenomenon before when traveling from mid to high latitudes to lower latitudes, or is it just me? If others have ever noticed that phenomenon, is there an explanation for it?"

This question was posted on June 25th 2015 on yahoo answers.
It wasn't posted by me(I have never been anywhere near Florida), but by somebody else who as he said "began coming to Florida from Chicago".

The question I have is for those forum members who either live or have lived in Florida in the past, and for those forum members who have visited Florida;

The question is whether the description that this person gave, is in accordance with your observation of Florida sky or not.

And if it is, how do you explain this phenomenon?

willendure

Re: Question about strange illusion of sun's path across the

Unread post by willendure » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:40 am

Nearer to the equator the sun rises and sets more vertically. Sunsets and sunrises also take less time as a result.

I used to live in the middle east, there the day would be much more regular throughout the year, sunrise at 6am, sunset at 6pm, and it would get dark or light very quickly compares with being further north. I live in Scotland now - here the path of the sun changes much more throughout the year, and it hits the horizon at an angle. Sunsets are much more drawn out and sometimes very pretty too.

I'd suggest playing with a globe and using an orange to represent the sun and figure out how it is going to appear different when viewed from different places on the earth at different times of year.

john666

Unread post by john666 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:14 am

Thank you for the response willendure;

Can you please say whether you lived south or north of Miami's parallel( 25°46′31″N)?
Also, what was approximately the highest position that the sun got to in the sky(in degrees)?

I would also like to say to other forum members that I am interested in all of your experiences, if you lived or visited areas that were around the Tropic of Cancer latitude.

willendure

Unread post by willendure » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:39 am

john666 wrote:Thank you for the response willendure;

Can you please say whether you lived south or north of Miami's parallel( 25°46′31″N)?
Also, what was approximately the highest position that the sun got to in the sky(in degrees)?

I would also like to say to other forum members that I am interested in all of your experiences, if you lived or visited areas that were around the Tropic of Cancer latitude.
A little to the north:

26°13′N 50°35′E

flyingcloud

Unread post by flyingcloud » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:50 pm

If the earth was flat, that would fix the illusion.

john666

Unread post by john666 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:28 am

willendure, are you at liberty to answer the second part of my question, the one concerning the highest position of the sun in the sky, that you witnessed?

john666

Unread post by john666 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:02 am

willendure wrote:
I used to live in the middle east, there the day would be much more regular throughout the year, sunrise at 6am, sunset at 6pm, and it would get dark or light very quickly compares with being further north.
willendure, according to your description, I surmise that the sun does not go higher then 70-75 degrees above the horizon, because during the great majority of the year, the sun does not go higher then 60-70 degrees above the horizon, considering that you said that the time between sunrise and sunset is generally speaking ONLY 12 HOURS.

If you do not respond, I am going to interpret your silence as a YES