Understanding Electricity and Circuits

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Max Photon

Understanding Electricity and Circuits

Unread post by Max Photon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Greetings everyone! This is my first post on this forum, so my warmest hello to all.

Allow me to offer a little gem:

Understanding Electricity and Circuits: What the Text Books Don't Tell You

Given that discussions of circuits and currents in space are central to this forum, I suspect that many here will greatly benefit from this quick, easy-to-read, and fascinating article. It addresses in an accessible manner some of the most common misconceptions about circuits and currents. (In fact, as soon as I post this, I'm going to get a cup of tea and re-read it myself!)

I think the concepts put forth are helpful when thinking about, say, the anode or cathode sun models.

I look forward to my interactions with the good people here; I'm here with an open mind, and I'm here to learn.

Cheers,

Max
www.maxphoton.com
Lighten Up!

Max Photon

I'll admit I have held misconceptions about circuits

Unread post by Max Photon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:28 am

Last winter I made time to read the Feynman Lectures just for fun. (I have a physics background). It was a great experience, and I'd love to read them again.

Volume 2 covers electricity and magnetism, and it's a treat because Feynman derives the classical wave equation of light from first principles and then demolishes it. (I think that's how they sell Volume 3: Quantum Mechanics. :mrgreen: )

Anyway, I want to share that I can see how for me personally, despite my clear understanding of Feynman's presentation, my poor brain has been branded with the misconceptions -- the emotionally potent oversimplifications -- that lurk in, apparently, most modern physics texts, as illuminated in the article in this thread's opening post: Understanding Electricity and Circuits: What the Text Books Don't Tell You

I can see it! I can see how I have picked up muddled analogies from my undergraduate physics days. I can see how I have picked up muddled analogies from sources long after. And what's a shame is that "first idea in wins" -- a well-known branding concept. In other words, it's very challenging to scrub out myths indelibly burned into the brain long ago. First in wins.

It was a very interesting experience for me to read the Feynman Lectures on E&M, which was all very clear, and then to read the article in the opening post; Understanding Electricity and Circuits: What the Text Books Don't Tell You immediately exposed to me that my misconceptions were still clinging on even after reading Feynman!

So, at the risk of "pushing," may I again strongly recommend that those of you who are interested give Understanding Electricity and Circuits a bit of your time. You won't be disappointed.

Also, if anyone out there objects to the treatment in the article, I would love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Max
www.maxphoton.com
Lighten Up!

Max Photon

The core misconception about circuits

Unread post by Max Photon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:51 am

Ready?

Moving electrons in the connecting wire carry energy.

Do you hold this misconception?

Do you ever see this misconception propagated in EU-related presentations?

Just Poynting The Way,

Max
www.maxphoton.com
Lighten Up!

Max Photon

When Gremlins were muscle cars...

Unread post by Max Photon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:44 am

Okay boys and girls :mrgreen: ... be honest ...

How many of you have a mental picture of circuits and energy that -- when you cut the crepe (I'm half French) -- is centered on moving electrons as an army of gremlins carrying little buckets of energy from a source and dutifully dumping that energy to be used at a sink?

Don't resist.

Max
www.maxphoton.com
Lighten Up!

Max Photon

Re: Understanding Electricity and Circuits

Unread post by Max Photon » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Greetings everyone,

The ThunderboltsProject's YouTube channel's most recent video of our favorite E&M professor, Dr. Donald Scott, is titled:

Donald Scott: Modeling Birkeland Currents, Part 1 | EU Workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIFR67sckK0

I am taking the liberty of bumping this thread for the benefit of those who need a little brushing up on electricity and circuits, as it might help in understanding Dr. Scott's fine video.

The opening post in this thread brings to light (what I think is) a fantastic primer on electricity and circuits, and a good reminder for the more versed to be on the lookout for the intrusion of common misconceptions around the subject.

For your convenience I reproduce the link here.

Understanding Electricity and Circuits: What the Text Books Don't Tell You

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/physi ... sefton.pdf

Cheers,

Max
www.maxphoton.com
Lighten Up!

Anti University Dean

Unread post by Anti University Dean » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:51 am

Ivor Catt also has pertinent insights at http://www.ivorcatt.co.uk/x3111.htm
in particular the link "the new model for a charged capacitor" and the other link "two IEEE papers" are ground breaking IMHO. It also fits well with Feynman's explanation of the Poynting vector which is a bonus. I'm not saying there is no electron flow but our understanding seems to need an upgrade.
This theory C however confuses me a little when I think about plasma, finding it difficult to imagine how it fits into that scenario. In dealing with Birkeland currents then are we thinking rightly or wrongly about what the current consists of, ie energy or particles? Any thoughts?

Anti University Dean

Unread post by Anti University Dean » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:39 am

I've had this obsession for a year or so, and it won't go away, that direct electrical current has two components, a pure energy component and a particle flow component.
The energy component is a bidirectional magnetization wave in which electrons are envisaged to orbit around their orbitals like haloes above the nucleus. Electrical polarization effects the electron's orbital magnetic moment to point in the direction of polarization, because it pushes or pulls the electron to one side or the other of its orbital and causes the axis of its orbit to allign with the electric field. This results in magnetic coherence, and the propagation of a magnetization wave in both directions simultaneously along with a longitudinal electrostatically induced wave. The two oppositely travelling waves combine additively and create the illusion of real current, while the coherence somehow facilitates the flow of electron particles which generates heat loss.
Of course to prove this I would need to do some electrochemistry research.