Electric Volcanoes

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

viscount aero

Re: "Earthquake lights" during Napa CA quake

Unread post by viscount aero » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:21 am

CharlesChandler wrote:The blue color is indicative of a corona discharge in nitrogen and oxygen that were already ionized. If the air is neutrally charged, the corona will be violet-colored. So this means that there was a body of +ions near the surface. For this to happen, the surface had to be charged, and the surface charge would have been negative (since it was attracting +ions). The potential required for such corona discharges is 100 kV/m -- enough to make your hair stand on end, but not enough for an arc discharge in fair weather conditions. A very similar kind of thing occurs along the trailing edges of thunderstorms, where ionized air manufactured by the storm clings to the ground because of an induced negative charge. But in earthquakes, there isn't any charge separation mechanism in the atmosphere up to the task, so it's the other way around -- the surface gets negatively charged, and this induces a positive charge in the atmosphere. If the potential exceeds 100 kV/m, a corona discharge will occur.
Steve Smith wrote:Earth Lights

The build-up of charge across compressed rocks can cause sudden electrical breakdown. So, earthquakes could be considered a form of underground lightning. If earthquakes are underground lightning bolts, then perhaps seismic waves are the thunderclaps.
I totally agree.
Steve Smith wrote:In that case, it seems likely that the majority of energy released during an earthquake may not be from the fracturing and movement of strata, but the result of electrical energy released within the rock matrix.
Here I disagree -- I think that tectonics creates the potentials. But there is a runaway feedback loop between crustal buckling and electric currents, which is what actually causes the quake. The buckling relieves the gravity loading on the underlying rock, like a Roman arch carrying the weight that had been causing pressure at depth. This de-ionizes the underlying rock, driving a downward flow of electrons (i.e., an electric current). Ohmic heating from this current causes the rock to expand, which enhances the buckle, which relieves even more of the pressure, motivating even more current, hence the feedback loop. There is also an interplay between buckling, fracturing, and electric currents. Solid rock has a resistance of roughly 2 mega-ohms, which is way too high to allow currents, but when the rock gets fractured, the resistance drops to roughly 400 ohms, which makes the currents possible. Once the pressure exceeds the traction along the fault, a rupture occurs. There too is an interplay between pressurization and electric currents. The sustained waves of a quake are not a property of the inelastic crust, but are easy to understand if arc discharges are involved. Once the fault ruptures, pressure at depth is restored, forcing an electric current flowing in the other direction, where electrons are expelled from the re-pressurized rock. This sudden surge of current converts electrically conducting microfractures into plasma discharge channels, exerting enormous lateral pressures on the rock. So there's slippage along the fault, and then bam! an arc discharge through the rock which gives it another kick. But the sudden increase of pressure closes the microfractures, temporarily cutting off the current. If the re-pressurization causes more slippage, the microfractures will open up again, and there will be another arc discharge. In other words, it's what an EE would call a sputtering current. So each wave crest represents a shock front that had its own electro-mechanical source. The process will continue until the buckle has completely flattened out again.

And during this stage, electrons are being expelled from the depths, and thus the surface of the Earth becomes negatively charged, and it can induce a positive charge in the atmosphere, possibly strong enough for corona discharges.
That's a fascinating description of the possible earthquake process. I never had it put that way before. Thanks :geek: :idea: Magma itself, under certain conditions as described above, could actually be plasmatic.

rkm
Site Admin

Birkeland current tornado over Iceland volcano.

Unread post by rkm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:04 am

Frantic

Re: Birkeland current tornado over Iceland volcano.

Unread post by Frantic » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:01 pm

How did you determine this was formed by Birkeland Currents?

GaryN

Re: Electric Volcanoes

Unread post by GaryN » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:00 pm

The video on this accuweather page shows a boater capturing a volcanic explosion on video, but the 'crack' of the shockwave reminded me of the Russian meteorite souns smewhat, a very sharp sound and not what I would expect from a pressure initiated shock wave. More of an electrical cause perhaps?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/ ... n/33672914
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

nick c
Site Admin

Re: "Earthquake lights" during Napa CA quake

Unread post by nick c » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:25 am

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:48 am

The sonic boom is observable as the condensation of the moisture in the expanding shock wave from the eruption attests. A very exciting event to see, but not particularly exotic.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Another video of an erupting volcano, with the blast sounding much softer, more like I would imagine from a pressure blow out, but there are probably many variables with eruptions, and it is possible I think that a super-heated steam explosion might go supersonic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4j-PGiSYQI

Found this, though haven't had a chance to read any of it yet. A $500 book, Google has a preview available online.
History of Shock Waves, Explosions and Impact: A Chronological and Biographical Reference
http://books.google.ca/books?id=PmuqCHD ... ve&f=false
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

bdw000

Calbuco volcano in Chile fast moving lights

Unread post by bdw000 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:01 am

Below is a 3 minute video showing some fast-moving lights that the presenter would probably want to call UFO's (he does not explicitly do that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6mR3RWoFKc

I was wondering if it might just be an example of ball lightning: a few "balls of charge" being electrically attracted to the opposite charge in the volcano??? Or some other electrical explanation?

Near the end of the video he freezes the frame so you can see the lights better. As the video is playing I could not see the moving lights.

And of course in this day and age any video could easily be faked to show something like this. Who knows.

(I am no EU expert)

Dotini

Re: Calbuco volcano in Chile fast moving lights

Unread post by Dotini » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:40 am

Electric fields in dust and ash clouds can be of anomalously high strength, easily capable of producing lightning discharges. Ball lightning is poorly understood and not well explained. The mainstream just barely acknowledges it. I feel comfortable explaining what is currently shown in this video as some form of lightning discharge.

+EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know

Unread post by +EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:25 am

I'd say it's Volcanic Lightning.
It looks like separate blobs, but from the speed of occurrence, I suspect it's single horizontal section of the discharge showing through the ash...
Similar to what can seen in the lower right of the "Eyjafjallajokull eruption april 17 2010" image http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/volcanic-lightning

willendure

Unread post by willendure » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:14 pm

I take it you saw the more spectacular forked lightning pictures too? I posted them on the Volcanoes and CFDLs thread.

+EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know

Unread post by +EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:29 am

willendure wrote:I take it you saw the more spectacular forked lightning pictures too? I posted them on the Volcanoes and CFDLs thread.
Yer kiddin! WHERE????
JK :lol:
Yes, the large bolt is very impressive.

As a fellow photographer that enjoys capturing natural electrical discharges, I gotta say BRAVO to Marco Fulle, the shutterbug that took that image.

Like regular lightning though, clouds often get in the way.
For every cover shot worthy bolt like that, there are many other smaller discharges that aren't anywhere near as photogenic, remaining either partially or completely hidden from direct view.

querious

Unread post by querious » Sat May 16, 2015 8:56 pm

Here's some nice pictures of Calbuco lightning...

http://francisconegroni.photoshelter.co ... BHLqRl_UpU

King David

Lightning bolts coming out of Japanese volcano

Unread post by King David » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Electric Volcano
Electric Volcano
Anyone see the pictures? Not a cloud in the sky and then boom lightning and eruption

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/sakur ... ese-island

The Great Dog

Re: Lightning bolts coming out of Japanese volcano

Unread post by The Great Dog » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:12 am

Earthquakes and Volcanoes

Talks about electric fields inside the Earth.

TGD
There are no other dogs but The Great Dog