Electric Comets

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Morphix

Re: Electric Comets

Unread post by Morphix » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Comet 67p jets appearing 150,000,000 kilometers too soon:

http://astronomynow.com/2014/10/24/spec ... tas-comet/
Currently, still more than 450 million kilometers are separating 67P from the Sun. Based on a rich history of ground-based observations scientists expect a comet’s activity to pick-up noticeably once it comes within 300 million kilometers of the Sun. “Being able to monitor these emissions from up close for the first time gives us much more detailed insights,” says Sierks. From the OSIRIS images, the team now wants to derive a better understanding of the evolution of cometary activity and the physical processes driving it.
That would be 50% too soon. Stupid comet. Never learned standard theory.

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:54 pm

From other threads, I understand that a comet has taken on the charge of the far solar environment. I also understand that satellites take on a negative charge. If solar wind comes to a neutral point far out, is that to be taken that a comet in that area will be positive with respect to bodies closer in to the sun? And the comet's more positive charge is reacting to the negative environment of the inner solar atmosphere. :?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Sparky wrote:From other threads, I understand that a comet has taken on the charge of the far solar environment. I also understand that satellites take on a negative charge. If solar wind comes to a neutral point far out, is that to be taken that a comet in that area will be positive with respect to bodies closer in to the sun? And the comet's more positive charge is reacting to the negative environment of the inner solar atmosphere. :?
From my understanding the Sun is a virtual cathode, ie, a site where current flows out and in this case it happens to be + charged. The environment around it is - charged. I am not aware of an EU principle where current reaches a neutral charge but that may be something about my knowledge where I am presently ignorant.

viscount aero

Re: Standard theory prediction tracking for comet 67P

Unread post by viscount aero » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:33 pm

dahlenaz wrote:
viscount aero wrote:
dahlenaz wrote:Did they actually say that this comet,, in its present form,, is billions of years old??

snip
The crater perched on the rim of the end-pit is probably
and EDM feature,, but that doesn't mean that the end-pit was formed electrically.
Pits should be an expected feature for a body which experiences a thermal transformation
while in a space environment.. what was once heated will then cool from the outside
inward and contract in upon itself in the process. d...z

Impact cratering on this body is highly unlikely to zero.
Do you have any evidence at hand with which to present a
convincing case or do i just take your word for it?

I base my statement on experiments and the appearance of their results..
See this web page for one example as this new effort begins: d...z
http://para-az.com/comet67p-cg/feature-likeness.html

I may change my mind a bit on that.

If the comet was created upon the destruction of a larger body, a planet, then it must have been molten and very malleable at one point. Stardust samples indicate comets are created in molten conditions. If that is the case then when it was molten then air pockets, bubbles, and surrounding debris hit the comet while it was still near the destruction of the main planetary body.

What I meant earlier was impact craters created long after the cometary body had already cooled. That is highly unlikely. Any craters on the nucleus were probably created at the same time that the nucleus was created, in other words.

Rossim

Unread post by Rossim » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:36 pm

The craters and sharp reliefs are being explained as collapsed pockets of previously sublimated ices. I agree that they are definitely not formed by impacts after the comet has cooled and in orbit. However, I do not agree that the craters are caused by impact at all, at least not the majority of them. Most of the craters are of uniform depth, have characteristics similar to other craters nearby, and seem to be formed perpendicular to the surface. In an excavation of marterial which form ps the comet, I'd think all of the debris would repel each other as they would possess a similar charge.

From recent images it seems that the entire neck region is covered with jets, though in the higher resolution images of the surface it's difficult to trace the sources of these jets. All this talk of erosion in the press releases yet no scientific, well-thought mechanisms put forward bothers me. I'm sure that the scientists behind the scenes are swimming through their wealth of data and realizing the snowball model is an absolute failure. I'm just thinking ahead of when papers will be published from the project scientists and how much evidence will be necessary for a press release regarding a "significant discovery" like they did after confirming gravity waves.

Maustin

Re: Comet Siding-Springs Mars Flyby

Unread post by Maustin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:01 pm

viscount aero wrote:
seb wrote:
dodeca wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4FgTnq ... r_embedded

brillant comment:

The folks at the Thunderbolts project predicted this.
The flare is apparently just the effects of Earthly clouds passing through the frames. If there really had been such a bright flash visible from Earth and lasting for over a minute, it would have been on the news. :)
I agree. It's probably just lens flare/glare. Any discharge in this case would probably have only been in dark mode.
This does seem to be the case. The operator of the telescope posted on his own Facebook that the "flare" is local cloud cover. Color me disappointed, I was hoping for a dramatic and incontrovertible confirmation event but this wasn't it. I am still very interested to see more results from the seven (?) rovers/orbiters, since official channels are not sharing much of anything yet.
Also of potential interest, if there WAS a discharge event on Mars, it's only a matter of time before photographic evidence of a NEW crater is found roughly under the comet's path. Sadly, I think that's a long shot for this event.

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:36 pm

Maustin wrote:
viscount aero wrote:
seb wrote:
dodeca wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4FgTnq ... r_embedded

brillant comment:

The folks at the Thunderbolts project predicted this.
The flare is apparently just the effects of Earthly clouds passing through the frames. If there really had been such a bright flash visible from Earth and lasting for over a minute, it would have been on the news. :)
I agree. It's probably just lens flare/glare. Any discharge in this case would probably have only been in dark mode.
This does seem to be the case. The operator of the telescope posted on his own Facebook that the "flare" is local cloud cover. Color me disappointed, I was hoping for a dramatic and incontrovertible confirmation event but this wasn't it. I am still very interested to see more results from the seven (?) rovers/orbiters, since official channels are not sharing much of anything yet.
Also of potential interest, if there WAS a discharge event on Mars, it's only a matter of time before photographic evidence of a NEW crater is found roughly under the comet's path. Sadly, I think that's a long shot for this event.
To me it looks like a CME but I wasn't operating the telescope. So I must take the operator's word for it.

Dotini

Unread post by Dotini » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:41 am

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:38 am

That's awesome. What this amounts to is the merging of 2 distinct atmospheres. The chemistry involved rendered some amazing results. It must have been amazingly spectacular to be on Mars to watch the phenomena. Because the electron density and emission signatures were so strong it must have been like aurorae on Mars for a couple of days. I wonder what kinds of colors were there :?: Perhaps that is possible to guess based on the strong signatures of sodium, magnesium, and iron.

To wit, incandescent sodium vapor is used in outdoor commercial floodlighting. It is very bright and tends to glow yellowish. Magnesium in Earth's atmosphere tends to be a brilliant white and cascade as sparks. Iron tends to spark and shower as yellow. However, how it interacted in the CO2 rich martian atmosphere is up to conjecture as CO2 tends to inhibit combustion. However, the cometary encounter involves ionization of plasmas.

Flame colors: http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/demos/main_pages/6.2.html

I think this went well beyond a "meteor shower" as the article suggests, being that comet dust is like cigarette smoke. The UV signatures appear planetwide and diffuse, enveloping the entirety of Mars an altering the entire atmosphere. If the magnesium and iron did spark in the CO2 atmosphere it must have been unreal to witness this from horizon to horizon, perhaps with a giant "starfield" created that would perpetually change as the sparks constantly twinkled and cascaded, like being inside a giant Martian "snow globe."

CosmicLettuce

Unread post by CosmicLettuce » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBA-WryPTSc

Yeah -- great stuff. It would have been spectacular to see it from the ground, but also sorta nerve-wracking.

Peace, CL
"Nothing is rich but the inexhaustible wealth of nature. She shows us only surfaces, but she is a million fathoms deep" - Emerson

http://astroandmusic.blogspot.com/

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:04 pm

CosmicLettuce wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBA-WryPTSc

Yeah -- great stuff. It would have been spectacular to see it from the ground, but also sorta nerve-wracking.

Peace, CL
Thank you for that link. I'm listening to it now. So far the evidence of abundant magnesium and iron present indicates the comet is mostly rock. The iron and magnesium ionized in the UV so a human eye allegedly would not have been able to see it. But they mention an associated "meteor storm" that would have been visible as the ionized metals cooled and continued entering the Martian environment.

I will continue listening.

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Sodium, Potassium, Manganese, Nickel, Magnesium, Chromium, Iron, and Zinc were detected. Sounds like a One-a-Day vitamin pill ;)

Subsequently, Manganese, Nickel, Magnesium, Chromium, Iron, and Zinc are inorganic heavy metals. The comet appears from this analysis to be a metal ore body, akin to iron ore. Why they keep insisting this is an Oort Cloud icy body is baffling in light of how strong the signatures for heavy metals appear.

excerpt from:
http://www.armaghplanet.com/html/meteorites.html

"What are iron meteorites?

Iron meteorites come from the solidified core of small planets or planetismals, that were shattered by collisions. More than 90 different types of iron meteorite have been found. Each represents a different planetismal. Their crystal structure shows that the planetismal core cooled very slowly, perhaps at only a few °C per million years. This allowed large metal crystals to nucleate and grow."

Why are they not making a connection to the above reference?

Maol

Unread post by Maol » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:52 pm

viscount aero wrote:Sodium, Potassium, Manganese, Nickel, Magnesium, Chromium, Iron, and Zinc were detected. Sounds like a One-a-Day vitamin pill ;) ?
Sounds like sea water. :idea:

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Maol wrote:
viscount aero wrote:Sodium, Potassium, Manganese, Nickel, Magnesium, Chromium, Iron, and Zinc were detected. Sounds like a One-a-Day vitamin pill ;) ?
Sounds like sea water. :idea:
Interesting :)

CosmicLettuce

Rosetta’s Comet Sings Strange, Seductive Song

Unread post by CosmicLettuce » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:29 am

http://www.universetoday.com/116214/bet ... tive-song/

argh......

"Scientists think that neutral gas particles from vaporizing ice shot into the coma become ionized under the action of ultraviolet light from the Sun. While the exact mechanism that creates the curious oscillations is still unknown, it might have something to do with the electrified atoms or ions interacting with the magnetic fields bundled with the Sun’s everyday outpouring of plasma called the solar wind. It’s long been known that a comet’s electrified or ionized gases present an obstacle to the solar wind, causing it to drape around the nucleus and shape the streamlined blue-tinted ion or gas tail."

Beautiful sound, though. Data "visualization" through sound is one of the projects I continue to work on. It's amazing what you can hear when you "look" at images (or any other data) translated to sound.

Peace, CL
"Nothing is rich but the inexhaustible wealth of nature. She shows us only surfaces, but she is a million fathoms deep" - Emerson

http://astroandmusic.blogspot.com/