Nano voltmeter measures huge electric fields in cells...

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MGmirkin

Nano voltmeter measures huge electric fields in cells...

Unread post by MGmirkin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:24 am

Resurrecting some references from the old Thunderbolts Forum 1.0:

(Nano-sized voltmeter measures electric fields deep within cells)
http://www.ur.umich.edu/0708/Dec03_07/10.shtml
http://www.physorg.com/news115650653.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 173237.htm
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 113007.php

(Mighty Electric Fields Found Inside Cells - 15 million volts per meter? Ay, carumba.)
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/mar/14 ... side-cells

("Nanosized Voltmeter" Enables Cellular-Wide Electric Field Mapping)
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... _n19511018

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

MGmirkin

Re: Nano voltmeter measures huge electric fields in cells...

Unread post by MGmirkin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:28 am

(The Currents Of Life)
http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf012/sf012p06.htm

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Thu May 01, 2008 4:58 am

The man who grew a finger.
In every town in every part of this sprawling country you can find a faceless sprawling strip mall in which to do the shopping.

Rarely though would you expect to find a medical miracle working behind the counter of the mall's hobby shop.

That however is what Lee Spievak considers himself to be.

"I put my finger in," Mr Spievak says, pointing towards the propeller of a model airplane, "and that's when I sliced my finger off."

It took the end right off, down to the bone, about half an inch.

"We don't know where the piece went."

The photos of his severed finger tip are pretty graphic. You can understand why doctors said he'd lost it for good.

Today though, you wouldn't know it. Mr Spievak, who is 69 years old, shows off his finger, and it's all there, tissue, nerves, nail, skin, even his finger print.

'Pixie dust'

How? Well that's the truly remarkable part. It wasn't a transplant. Mr Spievak re-grew his finger tip. He used a powder - or pixie dust as he sometimes refers to it while telling his story.

Mr Speivak's brother Alan - who was working in the field of regenerative medicine - sent him the powder.

For ten days Mr Spievak put a little on his finger.

"The second time I put it on I already could see growth. Each day it was up further. Finally it closed up and was a finger.

"It took about four weeks before it was sealed."

Now he says he has "complete feeling, complete movement."

The "pixie dust" comes from the University of Pittsburgh, though in the lab Dr Stephen Badylak prefers to call it extra cellular matrix.

Pig's bladder

The process he has been pioneering over the last few years involves scraping the cells from the lining of a pig's bladder.

The remaining tissue is then placed into acid, "cleaned" of all cells, and dried out.

It can be turned into sheets, or a powder.

How it works in detail
It looks like a simple process, but of course the science is complex.

"There are all sorts of signals in the body," explains Dr Badylak.

"We have got signals that are good for forming scar, and others that are good for regenerating tissues.

"One way to think about these matrices is that we have taken out many of the stimuli for scar tissue formation and left those signals that were always there anyway for constructive remodelling."

In other words when the extra cellular matrix is put on a wound, scientists believe it stimulates cells in the tissue to grow rather than scar.

If they can perfect the technique, it might mean one day they could repair not just a severed finger, but severely burnt skin, or even damaged organs.

Clinical trial

They hope soon to start a clinical trial in Buenos Aires on a woman who has cancer of the oesophagus.

The normal procedure in such cases is often deadly. Doctors remove the cancerous portion and try to stretch the stomach lining up to meet the shortened oesophagus.

In the trial they will place the extra cellular matrix inside the body from where the portion of oesophagus has been removed, and hope to stimulate the cells around it to re-grow the missing portion.

So could limbs be re-grown? Dr Badylak is cautious, but believes the technology is potentially revolutionary.

"I think that within ten years that we will have strategies that will re-grow the bones, and promote the growth of functional tissue around those bones. And that is a major step towards eventually doing the entire limb."

That kind of talk has got the US military interested.

They are just about to start trials to re-grow parts of the fingers of injured soldiers.

Skin burns

They also hope the matrix might help veterans like Robert Henline re-grow burnt skin.

He was almost killed in an explosion while serving in Iraq. His four colleagues travelling with him in the army Humvee were all killed.

He suffered 35% burns to his head and upper body. His ears are almost totally gone, the skin on his head has been burnt to the bone, his face is a swollen raw mess.

So far he has undergone surgery 25 times. He reckons he has got another 30 to go.

Anything that could be done in terms of regeneration would be great he says.

"Life changing! I think I'm more scared of hospitals than I am of going back to Iraq again."

Like any developing technology there are many unknowns. There are worries about encouraging cancerous growths by using the matrix.

Doctors though believe that within the so called pixie dust lies an amazing medical discovery.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7354458.stm
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Fri May 02, 2008 7:39 am

Interesting new discovery on Notch single pass transmembrane receptors, but what determines the activity of these receptors? I bet its the DC body as the over riding real mechanism of primary control of the cells, especially when it comes to regeneration vs repair. Bone and Liver cells always intrigue me because they regenerate *that means with like tissue*. Muscles cells and the CNS just repair *that means with connective tissue scar, not like tissue*. If you ever broke a bone it mended with bone. If you ever broke you neck like me and have spinal cord damage or torn a pec like I have then you know that repair sucks...oh for entire body regeneration...to be 245 pds of muscle again and bench press 315pds ten times for four sets....
Hey I want to turn Green, somebody dose me with Gamma Rays.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnBNTtgo ... re=related

:D
Move aside Ironman, hang on a web Spiderman, take the batcar for a drive Batman, The Hulk is back and better then ever. Full body regeneration to the max.
8-)
Notch Signaling in Osteoblasts
Ernesto Canalis*

Department of Research, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center, 114 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT 06105, USA, and University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT 06030, USA.

Abstract: Bone remodeling is the result of the coordinated activity of osteoblasts, which form new matrix, and osteoclasts, which resorb bone. Notch proteins are single-pass transmembrane receptors that determine cell fate. Recent gain-of-function and loss-of-function experiments reveal a suppressive effect of Notch in osteoblast and osteoclast differentiation in development and in the postnatal bone, which establishes a role for Notch signaling in bone remodeling.
http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/ ... /1/17/pe17
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Tue May 13, 2008 2:23 pm

A reading of The Body Electric by Becker & Selden is quite informative. In fact, they addressed the issue of fingertip regeneration in children. In the specific instances they had studied or seen (children who had lost their fingertips in accidents), if the wound was left more-or-less as-is without being operated on, it would mend itself, and regrow a full fingertip. I think they said up until about age 11? It was only true if it was severed up to the first joint, and only if not surgically repaired (in which case the tissue would simply heal over wherever it was cut down to, and not regrow the entire organ [fingertip]).

Apparently after various experiments with salamanders (who have a natural regenerative ability) they found that it had something to do with the nerves being more or less exposed / stimulated. Granted, I think we have a much lower density of nerves than salamanders. Which may have something to do with our lower regenerative ability. I might be slightly mis-remembering, as it's been a while since I read portions of the book.

But, it also seems that specific levels and frequencies of electrical signals also aid in the regenerative process (at the least, for bone regeneration, which was a large topic in The Body Electric). That was covered in some depth in the book. Haven't yet fully skimmed Cross Currents. Though I think it deals more with EM pollution of modern society and possible adverse effects on the body and/or its electrical systems.

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Tue May 13, 2008 3:15 pm

Indeed, it is called the current of injury. Observe the DC bias difference between current of injury of regeneration for the salamander vs the current of injury of repair (scar) for the frog (or you and I). Unless of course you happen to be 11 or younger and do not close the wound of your final joint on your missing finger, then your a salamander!
http://www.ortho.lsuhsc.edu/Faculty/Mar ... art22.html

We see that a very high potential negitive current (- 20 mV) is regeneration and swings that way on the fifth day for the salamander, it stays positive bias (+ 12 mV) for the frog and slowly goes to a proper normal negitve bias as scar tissue repair occurs. I believe it is safe to assume that bone and liver tissue acts in a high negative bias to regenerate. Cretainly Beckers human trial was on a unmended femur (7 years non union), and a negitive bias silver mesh healed the bone.
Immediately following amputation of the limb in salamanders, a strong, steady, and polarized flow of ionic current is produced by the injury. Current flows in a proximodistal direction within the limb stump and is associated with a fall in electrical potential of about 50 mV/mm near the stump's end. This current is electrogenically driven by the Na+-dependent, internally positive transcutaneous voltage of the intact skin of the limb stump. Reduction of this EMF, the skin's battery, by topical application of Na+blocking agents leads to inhibition or disruption of normal limb regeneration. This suggests electrical factors are a critical control of limb regeneration. Here we test another means to reduce the injury current and its associated electrical field within the forelimb stump of red spotted newts. A fine (40 gauge), insulated, multistrand wire was inserted beneath the skin of the animal's back, with the uninsulated portion terminating either at the shoulder region or at the base of the tail. When this cathodal (negative) electrode is connected to a regulated current source, sufficient current was pulled into the stump end from an external anode (placed in the water the animal was immersed in) to markedly reduce or null the endogenous current for the first 8 days following amputation. The extent of limb regeneration in sham-treated and experimentally treated animals was determined 1 month following amputation at the elbow. Sham-treated animals regenerated normally, with most producing digits within this time. Limb regeneration was completely arrested, or caused to be strikingly hypomorphic, in half of the experimentally treated animals. This effect was independent of where the subcutaneous electrode was placed and suggests that electrical (physiological) factors are indeed a critical control of limb regeneration in urodeles.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... 9ada2e2880
The current of injury
Dr Arthur Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology talks about the healing process in the context of what happens after a heart attack. He writes:

"Many different cardiac abnormalities, especially those that damage the heart muscle itself, often cause part of the heart to remain partially or totally depolarised all the time. When this occurs, current flows between the pathologically depolarised and the normally polarised areas. This is called the current of injury. Note especially that the injured part of the heart is negative, because it is the part that is depolarised while the remainder is positive."

Canadian cancer researcher Ron Gdanski comments also on the current of injury: "…A current of injury is used to polarise the depolarised tissue. The injured part is negative. The current of injury flows from the healthy or 'polarised' to the injured or negative or depolarised area. The current of injury is actually an increased region of measurable ionic activity that exists over the injury, but does not flow elsewhere. The current of injury stays on until the injury is repaired."

The current of injury has been studied extensively and has been manipulated to grow tissue, as Dr Robert Becker describes in his The Body Electric. At the heart of Gdanski's research is the revelation that "…injury disrupts the ionic field of cell-wall membranes, turns on the current of injury, and repair of injury turns it off unless an infection [or ongoing damage to the body] disrupts the healing process."

Years before, Professor John Beard and US biochemist Ernst T Krebs Jr. wrote about how this healing process organises the regeneration of ordered tissue in the same way that cells replicate as a child grows. They discovered the role embryonic stem cells play in the formation of trophoblastic cells which are employed by the body in pregnancy. But it is in their additional role as 'healers' that the importance and potential cancer hazards of stem cells become known. These fibroblasts or neoblasts, as they are known, are primarily employed to repair trauma sites. These cells can transform themselves into any body-part: bone material, blood, tissue or hair depending on the particular morphogenetic stimulus they receive.
http://www.credencegroup.co.uk/Eclub/Ec ... Cancer.htm
Skin flaps inhibit both the current of injury at the amputation surface and regeneration of that limb in newts

For over two decades, we have been investigating a strong (ca. 20-100 µA/cm2), outwardly directed electric current driven through the limb stump for the first few days following amputation in regenerating salamanders. This current is driven through the stump in a proximal/distal direction by the amiloride-sensitive transcutaneous voltage of the intact skin of the stump. Limb regeneration can be manipulated by several techniques that manipulate this physiology, demonstrating that the ionic current is necessary, but not sufficient, for normal regeneration of the amphibian limb. Here, we demonstrate that a full thickness graft of skin covering the forelimb stump of newts strikingly inhibits the regeneration of the limb, and that this procedure is also highly correlated to a suppression of peak outwardly directed stump currents in those animals that fail to regenerate.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0
Large-scale biophysics: ion flows and regeneration
Regeneration requires exquisite orchestration of growth and morphogenesis. A powerful but still largely mysterious system of biophysical signals functions during regeneration, embryonic development and neoplasm. Ion transporters generate pH and voltage gradients, as well as ion fluxes, regulating proliferation, differentiation and migration. Endogenous bioelectrical signals are implicated in the control of wound healing, limb development, left–right patterning and spinal cord regeneration. Recent advances in molecular biology and imaging technology have allowed unprecedented insight into the sources and downstream consequences of ion flows. In complement to the current focus on molecular genetics and stem cell biology, artificial modulation of bioelectrical signals in somatic tissues is a powerful modality that might result in profound advances in understanding and augmentation of regenerative capacity.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... 20a881d28e
(FMV 5-14-08: Corrected typo.)
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Tue May 13, 2008 4:34 pm

That should have read Bone and Liver tissue (not live tissue) in my posts above.
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord

Forum Moderator

Unread post by Forum Moderator » Wed May 14, 2008 5:42 pm

junglelord wrote:That should have read Bone and Liver tissue (not live tissue) in my posts above.
Corrected.

-Forum Moderator
(FMV 5-14-08)

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Mon May 26, 2008 4:49 pm

— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord