The Orgasm Phenomenon - Lightning before a storm?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

JaJa

Re: The Orgasm Phenomenon - Lightning before a storm?

Unread post by JaJa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:54 am

KeepitRealMark wrote:Hey Jaja..

I was just looking at this thread.
My Favorite Female looked over at my screen and asked… “what is that saying about orgasms?”
I replied…“just talking about what happens to a woman’s brain at the time of an orgasm”.
She replied… “Lets go have one, and I’ll try to focus on my mind over my body and tell you what happens”

I want to Thank You for providing the inspiration.
I'll come back in a while and give an update on her experience.... maybe.
I don't see how any of the above relates to this thread. The topic is about why the female brain goes silent at the point of orgasm (an "unexpected" scientific discovery")

I'm not quite sure why you felt the urge to share personal information such as this?
Omnia in numeris sita sunt

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 pm

JaJa wrote:
KeepitRealMark wrote:

I'm not quite sure why you felt the urge to share personal information such as this?

Research is the foundation of science. Observations are the best research tool.
At the point in question.

Levatio

Unread post by Levatio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:50 am

Perhaps, it isn't a blackout, but more of a stand-by?

I wouldn't say a female undergoes a widespread neural power failure. My guess is, it gets rather focussed at one spot. When the orgasm is really intens, a female body also goes shaking, like uncontrolled movement over her muscles. However, with a powerfailure, that's not possible imo.

And after the orgasm, a female's private zone is over-sensitive after an orgasme, perhaps most of the 'neural power' remains concentrated at that point?

Just some guessings.
"Perfection is an illusion of our imperfect brain."

"The essential principle — "eager to be corrected" — will always be the best guide in the broad, interdisciplinary investigation of the Electric Universe." -- David Talbott

JaJa

Unread post by JaJa » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:33 am

Levatio wrote:Perhaps, it isn't a blackout, but more of a stand-by?

I wouldn't say a female undergoes a widespread neural power failure. My guess is, it gets rather focussed at one spot. When the orgasm is really intens, a female body also goes shaking, like uncontrolled movement over her muscles. However, with a powerfailure, that's not possible imo.

And after the orgasm, a female's private zone is over-sensitive after an orgasme, perhaps most of the 'neural power' remains concentrated at that point?

Just some guessings.
Hi Levatio

The research indicates a blackout (its an unexpected finding) and the widespread neural failure takes place in the brain -not the body. My point was (based on the fact that the heart has been shown to function like a little brain) that consciousness "focuses" in the heart which enables us to maintain a sense of awareness whilst technically having no activity in the brain.

I appreciate that the "orgasm" takes place across the body in a physical sense - but I was looking at where our awareness of it is located - if according to research all brain activity ceases, i.e the brain goes silent. A person is defined as being in a vegetative state if there is no brain activity - and yet for a short period of time that's what this research seems to be suggesting, even though we retain awareness.

Personally I think it demonstrates that consciousness can focus in the brain and in the heart.

JJ

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:42 am

JaJa wrote:
Levatio wrote:Perhaps, it isn't a blackout, but more of a stand-by?

Just some guessings.
Hi Levatio

The research indicates a blackout (its an unexpected finding) and the widespread neural failure takes place in the brain -not the body. My point was (based on the fact that the heart has been shown to function like a little brain) that consciousness "focuses" in the heart which enables us to maintain a sense of awareness whilst technically having no activity in the brain.

I appreciate that the "orgasm" takes place across the body in a physical sense - but I was looking at where our awareness of it is located - if according to research all brain activity ceases, i.e the brain goes silent. A person is defined as being in a vegetative state if there is no brain activity - and yet for a short period of time that's what this research seems to be suggesting, even though we retain awareness.

Personally I think it demonstrates that consciousness can focus in the brain and in the heart.

JJ

Ok… maybe.
But I will say that the Brain processes thoughts with a electrochemical process. The Heart merely pumps blood.
No different than a fuel pump in your car. Can a heart process thoughts? I don’t think so. No more than the brain can pump blood. Two different organs doing two different functions.
The only relation they have is being inside the same body. Like a Hat and Shoes on the same body.
If a heart can process awareness/thought’s, why not a liver, kidneys, lungs, or even a big toe.

JaJa

Unread post by JaJa » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:33 am

Mark wrote:The Heart merely pumps blood... No different than a fuel pump in your car. Can a heart process thoughts? I don’t think so. No more than the brain can pump blood. Two different organs doing two different functions..
Wrong.

Neurocardiology

http://www.heartmathstore.com/item/enro ... y-(e-book)

Groundbreaking research in the field of neurocardiology has established that the heart is a sensory organ and a sophisticated information encoding and processing center, with an extensive intrinsic nervous system sufficiently sophisticated to qualify as a "heart brain." This insightful 19-page monograph is authored by pioneer neurocardiology researcher Dr. J. Andrew Armour of the University of Montreal, who first introduced the concept of a functional heart brain in 1991. Here Dr. Armour describes the anatomical organization and function of the cardiac nervous system, which is comprised of a complex hierarchy of nested feedback control loops organized in three regulatory levels.

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-int ... rt-a101102

In the early 1990s, the “heart-brain” concept was introduced by Dr. J. Andrew Amour and became a pivotal part of medical science’s newest discipline — neurocardiology.

Amour’s research looked at the heart’s complex network of neurotransmitters, support cells and proteins, and determined it was a nervous system that was similar enough to the brain itself to qualify as a “little brain.”

And while the heart’s inherent nervous system primarily puts its 40,000 neurons to work interacting with the cranial brain and other independent neuronal processing centers distributed throughout the body, the heart can learn, remember, feel and sense all on its own, evidenced by the ability of the heart to survive the temporary (and sometimes permanent) loss of nerve connections to the brain during a heart transplant.

The existence of an intrinsic nervous system within the heart itself allows it to survive in a new host without the help of the brain

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Heart,%20M ... 0Salem.pdf

Research has also revealed that the heart communicates information to the brain and throughout the body via electromagnetic field interactions. The heart generates the body’s most powerful and most extensive rhythmic electromagnetic field. The heart’s magnetic component is about 500 times stronger than the brain’s magnetic field and can be detected several feet away from the body. It was proposed that, this heart field acts as a carrier wave for information that provides a global synchronizing signal for the entire body (McCraty, Bradley & Tomasino, 2004)
Mark wrote:The only relation they have is being inside the same body. Like a Hat and Shoes on the same body.
Really
If a heart can process awareness/thought’s, why not a liver, kidneys, lungs, or even a big toe.
The heart’s inherent nervous system primarily puts its 40,000 neurons... [..]

Nice assumptions KeepItReal. But wrong - maybe they will discover a brain in your big toe one day.
Last edited by JaJa on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aristarchus

Unread post by Aristarchus » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 am

JaJa wrote:Personally I think it demonstrates that consciousness can focus in the brain and in the heart.
JaJa, at the discretion of not taking this too far off topic, but I was wondering if you had a chance to watch the videos on the heart feeding the brain with neuropeptides, and manifesting the reality of our perceptions, especially through the filtering of emotional content?

The conscious effort to will oneself to more uplifting emotions can change the very chemistry of the brain. It appears that regarding this topic, it relates to what we were discussing on the "What are your views on the afterlife" topic, and something that is the focus of my current interests (viz), is consciousness being received from outside the body and manifesting itself in this existence?

Concerning this topic, I wonder about whether women in this orgasm phenomenon are attaining and accessing a level of consciousness beyond that which can simply be manifested within the body, although it is triggered through a physical activity? It also gives me pause to perhaps appreciate the matriarchal fertility worship of the ancient cultures - in that these ancient cultures had a closer affinity to the role of nature in connection to spirituality, because that had not fallen into the aspect of quaint materialism that misuses science to promote a philosophy of nihilism?

P.S. Thanks for the research link about the heart, as it brings a much more scientific narration as compared to the videos that I had supplied.
An object is cut off from its name, habits, associations. Detached, it becomes only the thing, in and of itself. When this disintegration into pure existence is at last achieved, the object is free to become endlessly anything. ~ Jim Morrison

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:01 am

JaJa wrote:
Mark wrote:The Heart merely pumps blood... No different than a fuel pump in your car. Can a heart process thoughts? I don’t think so. No more than the brain can pump blood. Two different organs doing two different functions..
Wrong.

Neurocardiology

http://www.heartmathstore.com/item/enro ... y-(e-book)

Groundbreaking research in the field of neurocardiology has established that the heart is a sensory organ and a sophisticated information encoding and processing center, with an extensive intrinsic nervous system sufficiently sophisticated to qualify as a "heart brain." This insightful 19-page monograph is authored by pioneer neurocardiology researcher Dr. J. Andrew Armour of the University of Montreal, who first introduced the concept of a functional heart brain in 1991. Here Dr. Armour describes the anatomical organization and function of the cardiac nervous system, which is comprised of a complex hierarchy of nested feedback control loops organized in three regulatory levels.

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-int ... rt-a101102

In the early 1990s, the “heart-brain” concept was introduced by Dr. J. Andrew Amour and became a pivotal part of medical science’s newest discipline — neurocardiology.

Amour’s research looked at the heart’s complex network of neurotransmitters, support cells and proteins, and determined it was a nervous system that was similar enough to the brain itself to qualify as a “little brain.”

And while the heart’s inherent nervous system primarily puts its 40,000 neurons to work interacting with the cranial brain and other independent neuronal processing centers distributed throughout the body, the heart can learn, remember, feel and sense all on its own, evidenced by the ability of the heart to survive the temporary (and sometimes permanent) loss of nerve connections to the brain during a heart transplant.

The existence of an intrinsic nervous system within the heart itself allows it to survive in a new host without the help of the brain

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Heart,%20M ... 0Salem.pdf

Research has also revealed that the heart communicates information to the brain and throughout the body via electromagnetic field interactions. The heart generates the body’s most powerful and most extensive rhythmic electromagnetic field. The heart’s magnetic component is about 500 times stronger than the brain’s magnetic field and can be detected several feet away from the body. It was proposed that, this heart field acts as a carrier wave for information that provides a global synchronizing signal for the entire body (McCraty, Bradley & Tomasino, 2004)
Mark wrote:The only relation they have is being inside the same body. Like a Hat and Shoes on the same body.
Really
The heart’s inherent nervous system primarily puts its 40,000 neurons... [..]

Nice assumptions KeepItReal. But wrong - maybe they will discover a brain in your big toe one day.
Nothing is proven “wrong”
I would say that a heart having a more connected and sophisticated electromagnetic system in no way implies or indicates it has the ability to process thoughts. Not even close. That is an assumption at best. It merely shows more wiring, more activity, not any (provable) thought occurring. All it indicates is why we don’t have to think about our hearts beating. They are better connected to the source of stimulus. Maybe you’ll find a brain… anywhere.

JaJa

Unread post by JaJa » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:07 pm

KeepIt Real wrote:Nothing is proven “wrong”
Your assumptions that the heart is merely a pump and that both heart and brain are two different organs doing two different functions is wrong. So what, the brain can’t pump blood, the heart on the other hand can pump blood and do what the brain does. That sounds like multi-tasking - something women are good at.
I would say that a heart having a more connected and sophisticated electromagnetic system in no way implies or indicates it has the ability to process thoughts. Not even close
Not even close... :?:

Groundbreaking research in the field of neurocardiology has established that the heart is a sensory organ and a sophisticated information encoding and processing center, with an extensive intrinsic nervous system sufficiently sophisticated to qualify as a "heart brain”
KeepItReal wrote:But I will say that the Brain processes thoughts with a electrochemical process
The brain works through electrochemical processes and produces a weak EM field. The Heart which qualifies as a brain works through electrochemical processes and produces an EM field 500 times stronger than the brain - but you would say a person is not capable of thinking from the heart.

Seeing as I love electricity so much I’ll stick with the heart that’s 500 times more powerful than the brain your defending. Besides I do not agree with your assertion that the brain processes thoughts, I am of the view that the brain is merely the location where consciousness and thoughts manifest as implied by the electrical wave patterns evident in MRI scans when a person is conscious and thinking.

The fact that the 'signature' for consciousness (aka brain waves) disappear from the brain during the female orgasm but continues ‘somewhere’ else is a pretty strong indicator that consciousness and thought is manifesting somewhere else.
KeepItReal wrote:It merely shows more wiring, more activity, not any (provable) thought occurring.
The signature for consciousness 'unexpectedly' disappears from the brain during orgasm - however, the woman continues to experience consciousness and thought despite no brain activity. Perhaps consciousness focuses in the Liver brain, or the Lung brain or even the big toe brain. What other process generates the entire electrochemical (bodily) response of an orgasm if the brain has shut down and experienced neural failure...
KeepItReal wrote:Maybe you’ll find a brain… anywhere.
I have two, one in my skull and another beneath my ribs, the one beneath my ribs has an electromagnetic signature that is 500 times more powerful than the one in my skull.

Here’s an analogy for ya...

Brain = gravity (weak force) & Heart = electromagnetism (x500 strong force)

You keep it real and stick with gravity ;)

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:58 pm

JaJa wrote:
KeepIt Real wrote:Nothing is proven “wrong”
Your assumptions that the heart is merely a pump and that both heart and brain are two different organs doing two different functions is wrong. So what, the brain can’t pump blood, the heart on the other hand can pump blood and do what the brain does. That sounds like multi-tasking - something women are good at.
I would say that a heart having a more connected and sophisticated electromagnetic system in no way implies or indicates it has the ability to process thoughts. Not even close
Not even close... :?:

Groundbreaking research in the field of neurocardiology has established that the heart is a sensory organ and a sophisticated information encoding and processing center, with an extensive intrinsic nervous system sufficiently sophisticated to qualify as a "heart brain”
KeepItReal wrote:But I will say that the Brain processes thoughts with a electrochemical process
The brain works through electrochemical processes and produces a weak EM field. The Heart which qualifies as a brain works through electrochemical processes and produces an EM field 500 times stronger than the brain - but you would say a person is not capable of thinking from the heart.

Seeing as I love electricity so much I’ll stick with the heart that’s 500 times more powerful than the brain your defending. Besides I do not agree with your assertion that the brain processes thoughts, I am of the view that the brain is merely the location where consciousness and thoughts manifest as implied by the electrical wave patterns evident in MRI scans when a person is conscious and thinking.

The fact that the 'signature' for consciousness (aka brain waves) disappear from the brain during the female orgasm but continues ‘somewhere’ else is a pretty strong indicator that consciousness and thought is manifesting somewhere else.
KeepItReal wrote:It merely shows more wiring, more activity, not any (provable) thought occurring.
The signature for consciousness 'unexpectedly' disappears from the brain during orgasm - however, the woman continues to experience consciousness and thought despite no brain activity. Perhaps consciousness focuses in the Liver brain, or the Lung brain or even the big toe brain. What other process generates the entire electrochemical (bodily) response of an orgasm if the brain has shut down and experienced neural failure...
KeepItReal wrote:Maybe you’ll find a brain… anywhere.
I have two, one in my skull and another beneath my ribs, the one beneath my ribs has an electromagnetic signature that is 500 times more powerful than the one in my skull.

Here’s an analogy for ya...

Brain = gravity (weak force) & Heart = electromagnetism (x500 strong force)

You keep it real and stick with gravity ;)
I always keep it real, a habit I have.
Gravity is just a word that has no connection to this issue.

It is very good thing we both are entitled to our own opinions.
I’ll stick to my sense of reality. You can believe whatever makes you feel good.
If you believe your heart is a brain… fine…. I don’t mind in the slightest.
Ask it to tell you the last thing it remembers thinking.
It makes sense that the heart has such levels of forces present.
It is constantly working, it never rest, always active.

Here’s an analogy for ya... that makes sense to me.

My computer is processing all of this. It won’t remember anything either.
The info is recorded inside the "hard drive" as electric stimulated digital codes.
Only the computers "processor" can make any sense of those codes.
And it requires a brain to make sense of all of it.
Both are simply a temporary host of electric activity (processor) , or patterns of thought left in the brain matter (hard drive). The brain functions as both. The patters of thought are fragile. A healthy brain is required. If the brain suffers a physical trauma, the memory can be irretrievable. It can die real fast and is lost forever.

The water inlet valve on my washing machine operates with a electro-magnet in a solenoid. The magnet is equivalent to the heart. It won’t remember anything about the current that flowed through it either.
It simply opens and closes with electric stimulus. Not remember the event.

JaJa

Unread post by JaJa » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Keep it real Mark I do believe I made an error in supporting you and your motives here at the TB forum.

You have no interest in contributing anything of substance in this or any other thread. Did you actually bother reading any of this thread or did you like most other threads simply wade in and start baiting. I began this thread by pointing to an article in Scientific American which stated:
When a woman reached orgasm, something unexpected happened: much of her brain went silent.
From there, after you got involved in this thread, I introduced the following - the brain goes from 'much' silence to silent and consciousness becoming detached:
If the brain goes silent at the point of orgasm (which is generally accompanied by fireworks) would that indicate that consciousness is momentarily detached from the body if the expected brain patterns of such a highly-charged event were missing...
To which you respond with the following;
It would seem to me that IF the woman’s brain went silent.. No orgasm would be experienced at all. There would be no reaction. It takes a very well connected brain to produce some of reactions I’ve seen. More than just a knee jerk. It does indeed keep us coming back.
A shame about the beginnings of the innuendo's. I then add...
You got it. So where is the orgasm experienced if the brain goes silent...
To which you reply; (ignoring the sexual innuendo)
Hi JaJa

I can only speak for myself. My brain never goes silent, so I can't answer your question.
I’m sure I don’t have to tell you where us men experience an orgasm.

I do like your commonsense approach to these questions here at these forums.
There is no common sense here. I have gone from much of the brain shuts down to the brain shutting down completely and consciousness moves from the brain and you like my common sense approach?

I think Steven Jay got the drift after a few exchanges...

You on the other hand come back with more sexual innuendo;
Hey Jaja..

I was just looking at this thread.
My Favorite Female looked over at my screen and asked… “what is that saying about orgasms?”
I replied…“just talking about what happens to a woman’s brain at the time of an orgasm”.
She replied… “Lets go have one, and I’ll try to focus on my mind over my body and tell you what happens”

I want to Thank You for providing the inspiration.
I'll come back in a while and give an update on her experience.... maybe.
Challenged further with;
I don't see how any of the above relates to this thread. The topic is about why the female brain goes silent at the point of orgasm (an "unexpected" scientific discovery")

You respond with utter crap
Research is the foundation of science. Observations are the best research tool.
At the point in question.
Got an MRI in one of those 3 houses have you? *Note. Still no challenge from you. You do however go on to submit your own ideas that goes against (in parts) established heart research. Did you bother to read any of the links:
Ok… maybe.
But I will say that the Brain processes thoughts with a electrochemical process. The Heart merely pumps blood.
No different than a fuel pump in your car. Can a heart process thoughts? I don’t think so. No more than the brain can pump blood. Two different organs doing two different functions.
The only relation they have is being inside the same body. Like a Hat and Shoes on the same body.
If you were interested in genuine discussion, rather than baiting and bigotry, you might have done some basic research and disputed what I was saying. Instead all I got was:
I do like your commonsense approach to these questions here at these forums
If you understood anything about this topic you would know that according to research one of the areas of the brain that is thought to shut down during female orgasm is the emotional centre. Based on the fact that women experience deep emotions during orgasm (not represented in the brain - thus not generated by the brain) one might conclude that emotional 'feelings' that are part of the conscious experience (at least during moments invoked by Love) manifest from the heart and not your brain.

But rather than topical debate I am subjected to your pathetic male innuendo.

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:50 pm

"baiting and bigotry"

We simply disagree. No baiting or bigotry. Unless on your behalf. I just state my beliefs, you disagree.
YES… I did consider everything you have posted. I still disagree with your version of how the brain and heart function.
So what. Don’t let it bother you. You make it personal. That’s a shame.
You act like I kicked sand in your face. It is only words expressing ideas.
I’ll still support you here. If that makes any difference.

I have had the good fortune to have worked at a major hospital for seventeen years.
During this time one of my best friends (Terry) was the Chief Pathologist and Brain surgeon.
He performed all the autopsies.
I am sure Terry would find this exchange rather amusing.

Jarvamundo

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:49 pm

JaJa wrote: Despite all the attempts to explain orgasms as an evolutionary function involving various bodily actions and processes such as aiding fertilization etc... no one has been able to explain why we experience these intense electrochemical storms that generate widespread neural blackouts in the guise of what can only be described as short-circuiting pleasure.

Any thoughts :shock:
Have you investigated the role of orgone? Although not part of the EU scripture, I find EU presents a valid framework to approach the material.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Reich#Orgonomy
Freud had argued that there was a sexual energy called libido, which he initially described as "something which is capable of increase, decrease, displacement and discharge, and which extends itself over the memory traces of an idea like an electric charge over the surface of the body,"
Charging of a capacitor? discharging.? but why?
cont...
....but by 1925 he had rejected the idea that it was a physical energy.[19] Reich took the idea further, arguing that he had discovered a primordial cosmic energy. He called it "orgone," and the study of it "orgonomy."
Reich spent much time investigating the role of orgasms as a regulating function of the human pshyce.

If we wish to refer the concept of external consciousness, we may note that *all* human knowledge of achieving observation of this consciousness (external) is performed in the meditative state, of which is essentially calming (quieting) of the mind. With regard to the orgasm function we may have a biological function for resetting or reestablishing the link to this external universal consciousness? :? How is the function similar to NDE?

If we take the frame work of an external all pervading connected consciousness, with the human body connecting to it, a signal must exists. The signal *is* an oscillation of some form. Are we resetting the connection to the signal? (Screen degauss). (discharge of the nova settling into a pulsar)

so:
* Is the orgasm the quieting of the mind to achieve connection to the external consciousness?
* Is the orgasm a discharge of physical energy, resetting or discharging the orgone storage?
* Beyond the well studied mechanics of conception, Is there an emotional or further function of the orgasmic state, such as reducing the mindfulness of stress [ref*] of the potential parent?

In relation to above, i'd also recommend looking into the works of Dr. B Lipton, particularly the conscious parenting of which i think EU yet again provides the framework to approach the material.

Interesting musings indeed. If orgone is physical, then it is certain we do not possess common apparatus to study with the detail required here. Muse on...

[*ref] see "concious parenting" http://www.nlppati.com/articles/biology.shtml

JaJa

Unread post by JaJa » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 am

Aristarchus wrote:Concerning this topic, I wonder about whether women in this orgasm phenomenon are attaining and accessing a level of consciousness beyond that which can simply be manifested within the body... [...]
If possible, perhaps we could discuss this in private?