Quantavolution,Solaria Binaria,Homo Schizoid,Bicameral Mind

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

bboyer

Quantavolution,Solaria Binaria,Homo Schizoid,Bicameral Mind

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:10 pm

I have wanted to start a thread on the implications of Alfred de Grazia's Quantavolution Series for the understanding of human consciousness, past and present. In particular his modeling of Solaria Binaria, Homo Schizoid I & II, and what I perceive as the related work of Julian Jayne's The Bicameral Mind. So here it is. I'd appreciate it if we could stay more or less focused around the subject line; keeping it amicable, light-hearted, and a sincere inquiry into the fascinating possibilities and probabilities. Hope there's some interest in this topic.

For reference, here's a link to the Quantavolution Series. All his works are available as either HTML or PDF downloads.

Quantavolution and Catastrophes a collection of sixteen volumes by Alfred de Grazia

Julian Jaynes:

Julian Jaynes Society: Exploring Consciousness and the Bicameral Mind Theory since 1997
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

lizzie

Re: Quantavolution,Solaria Binaria,Homo Schizoid,Bicameral Mind

Unread post by lizzie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:08 pm

(Okay, I’ll “take the bait.”)

I read Jaynes before I read Velikovsky and de Grazia. When I reread him later, I understood him in a different context:

What Jaynes describes as the breakdown of the bicameral mind is really the loss of the ancient human mind to communicate telepathically with a shared group consciousness. This breakdown came as a result of changes in the earth’s electromagnetic environment caused by a series of cosmic catastrophes.

The development of writing, speech and the use of symbols and abstract reasoning came in response to this loss. The reason there are no written records past a certain point in time is that humans didn’t need to keep any.

The loss of a shared group consciousness would have facilitated the development of self-consciousness and written language for group survival.

Changes in the earth’s electromagnetic environment would affect human behavior so that auditory hallucinations would not have been uncommon.

Why I found de Grazia interesting:

1) He is a catastrophist

2) He believes in quantavolution

Lecture delivered on October 19, 2001 at University of Bergamo, Italy.
Conference chaired and organized by Prof. Emilio Spedicato.
http://www.grazian-archive.com/quantavo ... _doc1.html

3) His solar model is electric.

http://www.grazian-archive.com/quantavo ... ria_01.htm

4) He presents a theory for the development of human consciousness based on catastrophe, quantavolution and electromagnetism.

http://www.grazian-archive.com/quantavo ... /hs1_1.pdf

Possible topics for discussion:

Understanding the scale of repeated global catastrophes

Understanding the scale of the trauma upon the collective human subconscious

If humans were “born from catastrophe, “then what might we have been like originally? Were we homo sapiens first and only later became homo schizo?

Did cosmic catastrophes mandate the development of self-conscious behavior in humans in order for them to survive?

Can we make reasonable assumptions about what we think life might have been before “the fall” as per the myths of the “Golden Age”?

Could there have been a time when we shared a group consciousness – a time when we communicated telepathically and had no need for written language? Was there a time when we were not self conscious?

“For, to preview an argument that comes later, man is continually seeking ways to reestablish the uninterrupted instinctive responses of his forebears, and this is the homologue of ‘rationality,’"

“Can homo schizo aspire to become homo sapiens?”

Are we trying to reestablish our “antediluvian” roots? Were we once homo sapiens, the “rational homolog” to what we are today? Do we aspire to become homo sapiens once again?

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:53 pm

Way to go! You have definitely done your homework on this topic. I do believe you have covered everything I was interested in exploring here, only I am much too disorganized to have presented it so succinctly. Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's why there wasn't any immediate follow-up from me since posting it, didn't know where to start. :? Well, that, and I got side-tracked with the pleomorphic thread. I think I could gab about this stuff for hours-on-end; well, in fact, I have over the years (my poor children), but there aren't too many folks in my immediate vicinity who have come along with the necessary preliminary groundwork to have much of a discussion with. :( And I would much rather talk about it than write about it, since the talk flows so much more dynamically. Oh well <sigh>.

I gotta go try and get some sleep, but a couple of things I wanted to remark on.
Did cosmic catastrophes mandate the development of self-conscious behavior in humans in order for them to survive?
It certainly looks to be the way it has turned out, but I'm not sure it was mandated that way. I have often wondered about whether or not there were, or are, more gentle methods to being pushed out of the nest, so to speak. I have a lot more I'd like to say about this but will save it for later.
Are we trying to reestablish our “antediluvian” roots? Were we once homo sapiens, the “rational homolog” to what we are today? Do we aspire to become homo sapiens once again?
I think there is a common impulse or ... yearning ... in this direction. At least many experience it. A feeling of nostalgia for "The Golden Age," "The Garden of Eden," a return to innocence. I think many of us experience it in our mundane lives as an echo of that pre-catastrophic era, of innocence and harmony lost. And, probably too, of lost abilities. But to me it's all symptomatic of the inversion I think occurred; part of a traumatic inversion where psyche was sundered within material physicality such that we became redundantly self-reflective, aware of our own awareness (which I think to be the truly unique characteristic of humanity in contrast to all other life on earth). And part of this "house of mirrors" has been the awareness and compulsion to keep measured track of time, lost in a time stream of past-present-future to the near-exclusion of recognizing and living continuously in the one present moment of now. Slaves to time, as it were; not to mention our own minds, which is where this has all been bound up. But as in the words of the title to Thomas Clayton Wolfe's novel, You Can't Go Home Again. There's a lot more I'd like to say about this one, too. But I think it wiser that I wait. Sleep. And to wait for that siren song Grey Cloud refers to, to bid me say more. So I can make an utterly public fool of myself; again. That old saw along the lines of better to be thought a fool than opening one's mouth and removing all doubt. :lol:
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

moses

Unread post by moses » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:44 pm

May I say that it is terrific to have another great mind on this forum.
I'm not much into Grazia - too long-winded for me, but I certainly
agree with the ideas and questions posed.
Mo

polarityparadox

Unread post by polarityparadox » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:07 pm

I would maintain that the whole shift from group consciousness to individuality was not just a random chance direction in human evolution but the goal and purpose of it. Rudolf Steiner was the best advocate of this concept. He described it as a polarity: the dominance of the pregnant, intangible "wisdom" forces unconsciously guiding humanity in the past balanced by the modern shift into precipitated forms of all kinds of different "knowledge" systems of subject/object perspective so as to facilitate the beginnings of self-reflection and self evolution. Steiner maintained that the "gods" (forces, powers, energies; grounded physically in the actions of plasma) slowly receded and withdrew from intimate relationship with man so as to allow man the efflorescence of intellect that could construct concepts and ideas that were not intrinsically bound to the "sacred numerical canon" (Plato). Thus we have today the ability to think feel and do anything under the sun, generative OR destructive. Looking at the amazingly long lived civilizations of the past (thousands of years even!) you will see at their basis a type of synarchy (the reverse of anarchy).

Every aspect of their societies was completely bound by the "sacred canon". John Michell with his book The Dimensions of Paradise (it is truly a fount of wisdom) has elegantly shown how all the major civilizations of the past used one unified system of numbers: 1-12, powers of 12 and multiples of 72, pi, phi, 7!, 11!, 12! (the exclamation mark after the number means that every number from 1 to that number is multiplied together) essentially. These numbers derive directly out of the movements of the cosmos and earth as it exists today. Believe it or not but all the dimensions of the sun, moon, earth, and their relationships can elegantly derive out of them and it can be shown that premier goal of the ancients was to create/engineer temples that numerically exactly as possible resonated with all the divine constants by uniting terrestrial, telluric energies with cosmic, electrical, (plasma!!) fields. This was symbolised by them in the union of 1080 ("negative" lunar dominated wisdom of the past) with 666 ("positive" solar, rational knowledge more associated with the present) to create the number of fusion: 1746. Interestingly the ratio of the two numbers is a close approx. of the golden section relationship, namely 1:1.62.

Compare that to today where you have absolutely no sense of unity among various branches of knowledge, witness the completely insane mess cosmology is in.
Modern medicine is in no better condition, being the leading cause of death in America. That was why I felt compelled to take up homeopathy as an answer to this splintering of wisdom from knowledge. Natural, dynamic philosophy is almost dead to modern consciousness as a way to synthesize the various branches of far flung, over-intellectualized knowledge we are stuck with today. Another reason I so love this site and forum.

I choose to see that everything being explicated on this site is the materially revelatory description of a past AND present dynamic meaningfully alive; pulsating electro-magnetic (color) interactions ensconced in a polarity of levity (light, spiritus) and gravity (dark, dynamis). I am truly amazed at how the blow by blow elaboration of the saturn sequences lead directly into the qualitative steps of consciousness evolution as described by esotericists.

From a certain objective perspective one could say that it was quite a harsh way to develop man's individuality: by literally shattering his world and causing him to stand outside himself and struggle for survival, yet would we take any of it back now?? Do we not revel in our freedom? The freedom to either engage in Loving acts or Fearful acts, to choose nobility in the absence of the "gods" guidance. Wilhelm Reich was a pioneer in showing how the grounded basis of psychology (with all its neurosis and psychosis) could be shown to be fundamentally the armored blockage of bio-ELECTRIC, sexual energy. He traced this blockage back to about 5-6,000 years ago, right into the window of time of the saturn configuration destruction...He found that when man was freed from his "armor" (somatic or psychic) he reverted to a genitally potent individual that naturally ruled himself through his inner ethos. This to me was the gift of the "Fall". It allowed us to evolve to the state where we could healthily rule our inner and outer circumstance based on our "measured" (grounded!) understanding of earth and cosmos.

I hope that my fellow saturnians won't take my elaborations as being too wordy or pedantic or too many threaded, I am simply trying to put into words how my mind sees inter-related processes. In that regard I have the deepest respect for Junglelord and (among others!) and his repeated posts where he over and over again displays the alchemical synthesis of his life's experience with his recent electrical discoveries. He is inspiring me!

warmly,
Benjamin
Truth is higher than everything but higher still is true living.

- Nanak

Complexity leads to perplexity and simplicity leads to Eternity.

- Kirpal Singh

lizzie

Unread post by lizzie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Superspectrum Blues - The trans-electromagnetic nature of elements of the Fortean continuum
http://www.fiu.edu/~mizrachs/superspectrum.html

It is the fact that EM energy may cause perceptual changes that may be of most interest to paranormal researchers. EM stimulation of the temporal lobe can cause auditory hallucinations, and strong EM fields cause people to see phosphenes or moving motes of light.
Excerpt: New Study of retired professor James DeMeo, Ph.D., on the Origins of Violence Proves: Ancient Humans Were Peaceful, Modern Violence is Avoidable
Saharasia: The 4000 BCE Origins of Child Abuse, Sex-Repression, Warfare and Social Violence
http://matriarchy.info/index.php?option ... view&id=21.

His study is unusual in that it presents the first world maps of human behavior, as developed from large anthropological, historical and archaeological data bases. "A massive climate change shook the ancient world, when approximately 6000 years ago vast areas of lush grassland and forest in the Old World began to quickly dry out and convert into harsh desert.

DeMeo's maps show spreading centers for the origins of patriarchal authoritarian cultures within this same Saharasian global region - male-dominated, child-abusive, sex-repressive cultures with a great emphasis upon war-making and empire-building. DeMeo points to the work of the controversial natural scientist Wilhelm Reich to explain the patterns.

A new geographical study on the ancient historical origins of human violence and warfare, drawing upon global archaeological and anthropological evidence, has just been published presenting substantial proof that our ancient ancestors were non-violent, and far more social and loving than are most humans today - moreover, the study points to a dramatic climate change in the Old World, the drying up of the vast Sahara and Asian Deserts, with attending famine, starvation and forced migrations which pushed the earliest humans into violent social patterns, a trauma from which we have not yet recovered in over 6000 years.

(What extraterestial body caused this climate change?)

"There is no clear or unambiguous evidence for warfare or social violence anywhere on planet Earth prior to around 4,000 BC and the earliest evidence appears in specific locations, from which it firstly arose, and diffused outward over time to infect nearly every corner of the globe." says DeMeo, who today directs his own private institute in rural Oregon. "A massive climate change shook the ancient world, when approximately 6000 years ago vast areas of lush grassland and forest in the Old World began to quickly dry out and convert into harsh desert. The vast Sahara Desert, Arabian Desert, and the giant deserts of the Middle East and Central Asia simply did not exist prior to c.4000 BC" DeMeo asserts, pointing to numerous studies in paleoclimatology - the study of ancient climates. "Something happened around 4000 BC which forced the drying-out of this vast desert region, which I call Saharasia, and the drier conditions created social and emotional havoc among developing human agricultural societies in these same regions."

DeMeo's maps show spreading centers for the origins of patriarchal authoritarian cultures within this same Saharasian global region - male-dominated, child-abusive, sex-repressive cultures with a great emphasis upon war-making and empire-building. DeMeo points to the work of the controversial natural scientist Wilhelm Reich to explain the patterns.

The Trauma of starvation

"Famine and starvation is a severe trauma from which survivors rarely escape unscathed. A lot of people die, families are split apart, and babies and children are often abandoned, and suffer enormously. Starvation affects surviving children in an emotionally severe manner. They shrink from the exhausting heat and thirst, emotionally withdraw from the painful world, and simultaneously suffer a severe stunting of the entire brain and nervous system due to protein-calorie malnutrition. Even if such starved children later get all the food and water they want, they are deeply scarred in an emotional-neurological manner which forever changes their behavior - specifically, there is an implanted inhibition of any impulse of a pleasure-seeking, outward-reaching nature, and a discomfort with deeper forms of body-pleasure, in both maternal-infant or male-female expressions. Additionally, the child's view of the mother, who could not protect or feed the child during the famine period, is thereafter colored with suspicion and anger. These attitudes and behaviors are deeply protoplasmic in nature, and are passed on to ensuing generations no matter what the climate, by social institutions which reflect the character structure of the average individual at any given period of time."
Gender Hierarchies in the Ancient World – Bruce Lerro
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Eden-Emerge ... 1412021413

Power in Eden: The Emergence of gender Hierarchies in the Ancient World answers these important questions and many others with a reconstruction (based on the best existing evidence and research) of the multidimensional events and processes that led to the emergence of institutionalized male dominance beginning in the late Neolithic age and ending in the axial Iron Age in 500 BCE. I will show across a period from 6000 BCE how socio-ecological transformations across five social formations (hunting-gathering bands, simple and complex horticultural villages, agricultural states and commercial states) were responsible for the dominance of a few men over most women and most other men.

My principle claims are that ecological and demographic forces such as repeated population pressure and resource depletion created great social stress which men and women reacted to differently. These forces also catalyzed new social processes in the Bronze Age, including the rise of political centralization, economic stratification, the invention of the plow, and hieroglyphics. The new gender hierarchies were deepened by the emergence of coined money, the alphabet and iron tools which consolidated male dominance. These material forces were sustained and legitimized by the sacred movement from animism to polytheism to monotheism. Lastly these socio-ecological dynamics lead to changes in the psychology of people: the appearance of the individualist self and new form of reasoning which I call "hyper-abstract" cognition.
The Amnesia of the Cosmos by Steven Schroeder
http://boltsofsilk.blogspot.com/2006/08 ... oeder.html

She has come in time
to these moments of forgetfulness. Only
yesterday, the whole thing burned
red hot. Now it is cold.
That white chalk feathered
on a background of ice looks so familiar,
and the rattling in the tree, something
stirring that might have been
extinct. She can see her sighs
now, cirrus wisps that grow
heavy, roll into cumulus, cumulonimbus
piled high; and, for the life of her,
she cannot remember how to stop the rain.
Last edited by bboyer on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for accuracy in ascribing quoted material vs words of the poster

polarityparadox

Unread post by polarityparadox » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:14 am

wow

awesome post lizzie, you are dialed right in to the best people to explain the aftermath of the saturn conjuction, notice once again the polarity, from wet to dry, from trust of environment to fear of it, then introjected into the survivors in the form of pleasure denying "armor". James DeMeo is a hidden genius. Its so cool to see all these alternative researchers implicitly, without even knowing it!, supporting what saturn theory postulates without even realizing. That to me is the nature of TRUE research, it will always be elegantly relatable to the greater hologram of reality and it dynamic...

- Nanak

- Kirpal Singh

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:54 am

ALFRED DE GRAZIA

QUANTAVOLUTION AND CATASTROPHE
Introduction to the series

PART ONE

INTRODUCTION

Charles Darwin said in 1869 in the "Origin of Species" that
"anyone whose disposition leads him to attach more weight to
unexplained difficulties than to the explanation of a certain
number of facts will certainly reject my theory." For a long time
it seemed unwise to weigh too heavily the anomalies. Now the
time has arrived when "unexplained difficulties" have become
indeed too many for the Darwinian model of gradual incremental Evolution by natural selection to support. It should be
replaced by a theory of Quantavolution. Or, at least, it should be
placed up against a contrasting model.

Quantavolution theory maintains that the world from its
beginnings, including the world of life and humanity, has
changed largely by quantum leaps, rather than by tiny increments over great stretches of time. The over two million words
of this collection of works by the author and collaborators
present the full range of ideas and phenomena that pertain to this
theory. It may be well to warn promptly against claiming any
relationship to quantum field theory in physics, although dire
consequences to gravitation concepts may inhere, because of the
seeming all-sufficiency of new electromagnetic theory.

Such a global change of perspective requires a search for new
evidence, a reformulation of old evidence, a reconsideration of
anomalies, changes in meanings of words and phrases, explorations of etymologies of words and concepts, and a reexamination
of assumptions, often when they are so accepted as to be trite
and so trite as to be ignored -- removed, indeed, from our very
cognitive structures.

For example, there is an immense idea that persists in the literature to the effect that the Moon was torn from the Earth; this
story is told not only by scientists such as George Darwin and
George Fisher but also by myths of various cultures. Invariably,
if a discussion of the matter is allowed at all, the posited event
is positioned in time billions of years ago in the conventionally
agreed upon youth of the Earth. Such an event, if it were to be
treated seriously in an encyclopedia, would invade hundreds of
articles with its causes and effects, changing practically every
discipline in ways great and small. This set of works does not
treat this idea alone as the true theory; but it considers it
properly so serious as to warrant consideration under many
headings.

Such theories of "quantavolution" play a part in all discussions
as to the origin of the other bodies of the solar system; one
needs to explain the considerations that have led serious
scholars to ask whether and how the planets originated from the
Sun or, if not, then from one or another of themselves (such as
Jupiter). Furthermore, the universal belief of ancient cultures
and legends, that the gods were born, and were members of the
same family, would begin to stir our interest.

In many cultures, there is said to have been an original chaos or
world vapor and a catastrophic event from which the father of
the gods was born and from him (or her) was born the succession of gods. Why "born" instead of having always been in
existence? It is not enough to say that these phrases are only
analogies with the birth of animals in nature, or only fairy tales
based on the analogies. Why should this be? Many analogies
cover realities: might this be such a case? When one says,
"Babies are born like puppies," one certainly is not denying that
babies are born. And why were all of these gods identified, if of
any importance, with the planets and other sky bodies?

Most, if not all, cultures, have insisted that the planets and other
sky bodies are divinities. Does this not lend support to the
hypothesis of a true succession of birth throes in the heavens?
Would this be evidence of a marvellous early philosophical
synthesis connecting the birth of the cosmos to that of the
members of an earthly family? No matter if the alarming
thought should arise: the members of the solar system arose
somehow from one another in a series of catastrophes that
somehow early humankind had some knowledge or theory
about.

This is the kind of reasoning that unsettles many scientists and
ordinary people who are content to rest with their ordinary perspectives on the universe; it is a "whistle-blower" on the
prevailing paradigm of the sciences and the humanities, calling
back the play to the line of scrimmage.

The catastrophes responsible for the development of the theory
of quantavolution were immensely greater than these, to be
sure, but the elemental forces at work, the chemistry, the
electricity, the psychic reactions are typical and homologous.

As with a host of experiences of the past and present, the
individual person must learn about catastrophes of the world --
past, present, and future -- from the testimony of the rocks, the
skies, the fossils, the carvings, the ruins, and then from
recorded history and logical thought.

The theory of Quantavolution deals with the behavior of
substances of the real world so far as one can sense them. It
proposes that change in nature and life occur largely as the
result of catastrophic events; the events originate in the skies,
which contain forces that are immeasurably greater than any in
man or Earth and that are especially electrical. There are
numerous "catastrophists" who have contributed to Quantavolution. It is vital
to appreciate that in Quantavolution, the word "catastrophe"
loses its completely bad connotation; for what the world is
today is an effect of catastrophe or, better, of Quantavolution,
whose goodness and badness are intertwined and to be judged
by the philosophy of good and bad consequences.

The underlying philosophy of Quantavolution inclines toward a
phenomenological instrumentalism. It regards a "truth" as a
fitting and useful part of a system of such truths that constitute
as a whole a possible tolerable outlook upon existence. The
terms pragmatism, logical positivism, and operationism come to
mind when reaching out for related perspectives. As with
catastrophists, many philosophers might be cited. Among them
would be Plato, Ockham, Bruno, Locke, Berkeley, Vico,
Husserl, Freud, Dewey, Mead, Wittgenstein, and Bridgman.
The day may not be far off when a new philosopher will draw
upon the applicable contributions of such thinkers and the fastgrowing body of quantavolutionary literature to produce a new
philosophy of science.

http://www.grazian-archive.com/quantavo ... /intro.pdf

lizzie

Unread post by lizzie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:41 am

Peaceful Socieities:
http://www.peacefulsocieties.org/books.html

Worldviews from the Pleistocene to Plato
http://www.ratical.org/LifeWeb/Erthdnce/chapter13.html
The remains of cultures throughout the Middle East, North Africa, and Europe, including pre-Minoan and Minoan Crete, show highly advanced societies, in which, as historian Riane Eisler puts it, "linking, not ranking" predominated.

If women did have the authority to make social rules, we might expect those rules to have been based on partnership for the simple reason that women give birth to and raise both girl and boy babies without considering the one better than the other, if the mothers are permitted to act on their natural feelings. The preferential treatment of boy children in some later cultures came about when men made the rules and set the cultural patterns. Creation stories of ancient societies often told of man and woman having been created together, as they were in the original Hebrew-Christian Genesis before it was rewritten to have Eve created from Adam's rib.
Alternative social relations and organizations
http://www.saunalahti.fi/penelope/Femin ... rifoc.html
Societies which are not patriarchal can be found all around the world. There are numerous accounts from different societies of women negotiating, contesting, exercising and holding power as autonomous agents and individuals rather than as dependents or subordinates of men. It may be better to speak of egalitarian socialities rather than of egalitarian societies in these cases.
The Effect of Childhood Trauma on Brain Development
http://www.leadershipcouncil.org/1/res/brain.html
Inescapable stress produces a variety of behaviors in animals including abnormal alarm states, aggression, sensitivity to stress, altered sleep patterns, deficits in learning and memory, and withdrawal. These behaviors resemble those seen in patients with PTSD
PTSD and Childhood Trauma
http://www.upliftprogram.com/article_ptsd.html
What is PTSD? Although traumatic events have long been known to cause psychological problems, the disorder itself was first formally characterized in the early 1980s. Even now it is the subject of controversy, with many psychiatrists and clinical psychologists saying a diagnosis of PTSD is meaningless (see articles in recent editions of the British Medical Journal). Personally I do not subscribe to this view; rather I believe the problem is one of inaccurate diagnosis.

Generally speaking PTSD is identified by the following three symptoms: 1) re-experiencing traumatic events (ie, obsessive recollections, flashbacks, nightmares); 2) avoidant symptoms (fear of being with people); and 3) signs of hyperarousal (easily startled, irritable). Traumatized people often suffer from a combination of PTSD, depression and other anxiety disorders
Book Summary of Three Faces of Power by Kenneth E. Boulding
http://www.beyondintractability.org/booksummary/10062/
Boulding describes the nature of power as a social structure. He describes the objects and pathologies of power. Boulding begins with the simple definition of power as the ability to get what one wants. From there he breaks the notion of power down into three general categories, based on the consequences of the exercise of power. Destructive power is the power to destroy. Threats are a typical exercise of destructive power, and the military is an example of an institution organized around destructive power. Productive power is the power to make and create. Exchange and trade are typical productive behaviors, and economics is an organized form of productive power. Integrative power is the power to create relationships and bring people together. Relationships of love and respect rest on integrative power, and social groups use integrative power to gain members and maintain their loyalty. Boulding cautions that each type of power has positive and negative uses.

Boulding addresses the distribution of power by examining the social structures of power. He argues that power in groups tends to be hierarchical. Due to human limitations on the ability to communicate, decision-making roles develop. Instructions flow down the hierarchy, while information flows up. Within a hierarchical structure, power is limited by available knowledge. Boulding also argues that "hierarchical power cannot survive unless it can be legitimated. Authority in some sense is always granted from below."[p. 44] Examples of structures of power include the institution of property, and the nation-state. Power structures generally rest on a complex mix of the three types of power. Boulding says that the role of integrative power in maintaining structures is both the most important, and the least recognized or understood.

Boulding considers three classes of objects of power: material objects, non-human animals and other living creatures, and persons. The exercise of power over humans is greatly complicated by persons' independent wills. Generally the choice of which type of power to use will depend in part on the nature of the object. You cannot bribe a tree to fall; only destructive power will do. Occasionally power will be exercised for its own sake, without any object. Sometimes the object of an exercise of one type of power is to increase other one's ability to exercise other types of power.

The old saying that "power corrupts" recognizes the potential for some exercises of power to become pathological. Boulding notes however that it is not merely power which may be corrupting, but also influence, and even powerlessness. Boulding argues that the primary source of pathology is an unrealistic image of one's power, and suggests possible causes of such unrealistic images. Each type of power has its own pathological forms. An example of pathology is the use of national power simply to maintain a state's position in the international "pecking order." Civil wars have a high potential to become pathological. Pathological concentrations of power can develop when power attracts more power, or when "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer." Conflicts, which are always at root about distributions of power, can become pathological when third-parties who do not bear the costs of the conflict benefit from it.
Last edited by Forum Moderator on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: After review, original post contents restored intact

moses

Unread post by moses » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:10 pm

I am truly amazed at how the blow by blow elaboration of the saturn sequences lead directly into the qualitative steps of consciousness evolution as described by esotericists.
Benjamin

If Earth was born from Saturn, or any other such body, and then spent it's
early years in close proximity with Saturn, until breaking away from Saturn,
then one cannot but be amazed at the parallels with human conception,
pregnancy and birth. And just as our births are a trauma that affect us
deeply, so too did the birth of the Earth from mother Saturn have dramatic
effects on humanity.
Mo

starbiter

Unread post by starbiter » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:32 pm

I've had two copies of "Mankind in Amnesia"borrowed and not returned, so i can't quote anything. It seems like this thread screams for recognition of Dr. Velikovsky. Maybe he followed some of these authors, i don't know the chronology. I do know he worked closely with de Grazia. Not sure who was the ground breaker.
I Ching #49 The Image
Fire in the lake: the image of REVOLUTION
Thus the superior man
Sets the calender in order
And makes the seasons clear

www.EU-geology.com

http://www.michaelsteinbacher.com

lizzie

Unread post by lizzie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Not sure who was the groundbreaker
Oh, I believe de Grazia was a Velikovskian par excellence!

THE VELIKOVSKY AFFAIR
SCIENTISM VERSUS SCIENCE
Alfred de Grazia, Editor
With contributions by
Ralph Juergens
Livio C. Stecchini
Alfred de Grazia
Immanuel Velikovsky
http://www.grazian-archive.com/quantavo ... s/va_1.pdf

polarityparadox

Unread post by polarityparadox » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:19 pm

moses wrote: I am truly amazed at how the blow by blow elaboration of the saturn sequences lead directly into the qualitative steps of consciousness evolution as described by esotericists.
Benjamin

If Earth was born from Saturn, or any other such body, and then spent it's
early years in close proximity with Saturn, until breaking away from Saturn,
then one cannot but be amazed at the parallels with human conception,
pregnancy and birth. And just as our births are a trauma that affect us
deeply, so too did the birth of the Earth from mother Saturn have dramatic
effects on humanity.
Mo
yeah, my question is, how do we cure it. In heilkunst (the art of making whole or the art of curing and healing), (heilkunst.com/homeopathy.com) the system out of which homeopathy sprang, we treat for the birth trauma. It is a very important step. It may seem like a far leap but i believe the laws of scalability can apply to the concept of curing an individual and span up to curing a planet (and perhaps even further). I think that the "temples" of old (a resonance based technology engaging the law of similars and opposites) will renew themselves in modern form and allow a retuning of the world organism back to "golden mean/rule/age" state of mind, but now with the the gift (german for poison!) of conscious self-consciousness.

I find it fascinating that it is engineers that are championing the EU. Logical to me because they are functionally oriented. They are pragmatic, thus look to practical, simple solutions, that WORK. This theme of engineering runs all through the saturn philosophy (as in all the great work/worship projects thrown up over the ages to, in my mind, harness the plasma reality of their times for alchemical renewal, earth stabilization and psychic evolution).

http://twm.co.nz/torscons.htm Scan to the bottom half of the link for the stuff directly relating to pyramidal structures...

Is there a deeper possibility of the planets and their configurations having been purposefully used as functions or "nodal points" for a planned ejection/projection/introjection of primal atavistic union consciousness into modern individuality? I ask you, how is it explainable by plasma processes and gravity alone to end up having venus settle into the cosmic motions it now inhabits, with all its natural resonances to the golden-section, and its unique relationship to earth: http://lunarplanner.com/HCpages/Venus.html

Along the way the disease aspect of this process shows up as homo schizo but there are always primal seeds of higher consciousness moving along in fits and spurts throughout the ages. Witness the various jumps in consciousness all the way up to the Enlightenment when all the "mystery traditions" went into overtime to make a play for the birth of sovereignty symbolised by the state of mind of America (sovereignty in potentia so far it seems!).

However, the disease of repressed traumas is coming back to haunt man now, time to face our shadow, and overcome the blocks. In regard to the work of James DeMeo, I match his Saharasia hypothesis with the engenderment of the primal disease miasm (an inherited predisposition, generational) called Psora in homeopathy. In homeopathy it is understood that all chronic diseases and conditions spring from this primal state of mind (it leads to the formation of further miasms as well). This state of mind is fundamentally characterized by the feeling of lack, the itch diathesis, it is poverty consciousness, it has a contracted dryness, it is chilly, and unable to think in expansive terms. The founder also traced it back thousands of years into the mists of time. Very appropriate to the disasters of the time, no??

Best
Benjamin

- Nanak

- Kirpal Singh

Plasmatic

Unread post by Plasmatic » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:20 pm

Have you guys read Cardonas books? A large portion of essential aspects of De grazias stuff is incorrect. Following V in quite a few aspects of failing to apply the comparative method. It amazes me the amount of complete lack of actual reading folks have done on the "saturn theory". None of the mystical speculations spit out routinly by some are supported by the model whatsoever.
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:43 pm

de Grazia's introduction to Ka.
INTRODUCTION
SOME years ago, at my suggestion, Hugh Crosthwaite
commenced this major work. Its first pages appeared in the
mails as parts of personal letters. He called them notes. They
were notes, yes, but like the "toying at the piano keys" of a
maestro, they possessed authenticity, reflected a great
repertoire, and hit upon original meanings in every direction a
tone was struck. The notes began to modulate into cultures and
tongues other than the classic Greek as the research continued.

I should be remembered, perhaps, for not having said to him,
"Please cease to send me your notes and compose instead a
proper monograph: thesis, proof, basta." Rather, as the
messages kept coming, I redefined for myself, and I hope for
hundreds of readers to come, the relation of form to value. The
author carries, among other traits characteristic of English
scholarship at its best, the famed stubborn empiricism that has
so often been the despair of theorists and philosophers such as
myself. The work is bound to factuality.

He loosens the reins in only two regards, both at my behest: the
grouping of his facts in respect to electrical phenomena, and the
testing of words and behavior according to whether they relate
to divine behavior in the sky. In the end, this work by
Crosthwaite, which we may call a Handbook, took on its own
form. It is a dismemberment and reconstruction of Greek and
associated myth such as has not occurred hitherto. Its hundreds
of sketches and etymologies are grouped to follow a theme: the
electric fire and destructive behavior of the sky gods, as these
exhibit themselves in the language, rituals, myths, and behavior
of the ancient Mediterranean peoples.

A surprising form of "Handbook" emerges, which renders too
limited the very designation. For it appears that a major portion
of the Greek language (and probably all others) derives from
human readings of divine sky behavior, and transfers itself into
the necessary language that guides mundane social life and
thought. From far away China, the I Ching echoes this idea:
"Heaven produced the mysterious things, and the sages
modelled themselves on them...Heaven hangs out its symbols,
from which are seen good fortune and misfortune, and the sages
made symbols of them." (Sec.1, Ch.11)

Furthermore, this same "divinely inspired" language, along with
the rites and practices associated with it, does not consist of
independent etymologically-unique, tribally evolved
vocabularies and perspectives. Rather, there appears to have
been, among many ancient peoples, an ecumenical language of
sacred, electrical, pyrotechnical ritual behavior.

Apparently, what had been happening, not long before the time
our evidence comes into being, was similar to the development
of modern language of the age of electronics and space-age
technology, whereby Latinized English becomes a world-wide
language among practitioners of the associated arts and
sciences. Moreover, it was a language everywhere of fire, god's
fire, electric fire or the closest simulations thereof.

The reader may express surprise and disbelief at the multiplicity
of words concentrated in these areas: I would advise him of two
considerations. First, a language can be composed of and
reduced finally to a handful of syllables (with varying accents,
intonations, and syntax), a score of them providing thousands
(conceivably ~ 2 raised to the 20th power) of different words.

Second, if the primal experiences of speechifying humans occur
in conjunction with preoccupying celestial visions and effects
tied to them, the corresponding preoccupation of a language, no
matter how banal life will ultimately become and filled with
ordinary trivial objects, can well be with these original syllables
from which the language subsequently descends.

I have been continuously astonished at Crosthwaite's
indefatigable and creative energy, not to mention the boldness
with which he has attacked an immense set of challenges. The
results make an important contribution to the study of linguistic
origins and diffusion. The linguistic connections evidenced, as
well as the sacral outlook and practices tied to them, are so
close as to bring into question several dearly held beliefs
regarding ancient chronology and the relative antiquity of the
Mediterranean civilizations.

It begins to appear as if all that was contained in the minds,
speech and practice of the ancients took place in the same skies
and in everyone's sight at the same time. Greece, Italy, Illyria,
Anatolia, Palestine, Egypt, Mesopotamia, the Danube Basin:
indeed all are implicated.

Many pages of the present work suggest such a theory. A
reading of the chapter on "Ka" will let one understand what is
meant here. It will explain, too, why the short title of "Ka" is
given the book: this favorite Egyptian monosyllable penetrates
Greek and other languages as well; it testifies, not so much on
behalf of Egyptian chronological precedence, as for an
ecumenical, possibly even hologenetic development of religious
and thence all language of the ancient world.

Alfred de Grazia
Princeton, New Jersey

http://www.grazian-archive.com/quantavo ... s/ka_1.pdf