Collective Amnesia of Planetary Catastrophe

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

StevenJay

Re: Collective Amnesia of Planetary Catastrophe

Unread post by StevenJay » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:16 am

moses wrote: [...] perhaps it is not thinking but feeling that we need. Really to know oneself is to access the buried feelings, for it these that compel us.
Thanks for bringing that up, Mo. I've been beating that drum for years! :)
It's all about perception.

Royal

Unread post by Royal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 am

moses wrote:The above valid perspective ought to inspire us to redouble our efforts to be rational, logical, and reasonable while challenging our own beliefs and thinking outside of the traditional religious boxes. You think?
Royal

In the spirit of Jung, Freud and Velikovsky, perhaps it is not thinking but feeling that we need. Really to know oneself is to access the buried feelings, for it these that compel us. This is the modern 'feeling' psychotherapy, but also the method of the ancient shaman.
Mo
And I respect your argument.

But no religious scope was used in my statement. Maybe I think they mislead humanity with their work. I know Jung thought he was wrong near the end of his life.

Maybe science is your religion yeah?
This was particularly an unusual Out of Body Experience...

moses

Unread post by moses » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Maybe science is your religion yeah?
Royal

Well, clearly, feeling and experiencing is my religion. 'Science' has become a dirty word thanks to mainstream science. Velikovsky not only did not mislead humanity he opened a window to that great reservoir of feeling formed by the traumatic experiences of our ancestors in the cataclysmic past.

Is that pool of ill feeling blocked from consciousness by epigenetic means, or is there a block in the group consciousness of humanity, or by some other means. Whichever, we are in for a dramatic ride as the past is uncovered and this reservoir of feeling rises into consciousness.
Mo

Royal

Unread post by Royal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:04 pm

My argument wasn't against Veli.

You keep taking my ideas out of context. Creating a chain of assumptions.

All this, While you spill your personal views that has nothing to do with the original idea.

Although thought provoking with a closer magnifying glass, but overall boring and confusing to readers.

I hope my negativity helps you form better arguments in the future.
This was particularly an unusual Out of Body Experience...

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:36 am

Royal,
You keep taking my ideas out of context. Creating a chain of assumptions.

All this, While you spill your personal views that has nothing to do with the original idea.

Although thought provoking with a closer magnifying glass, but overall boring and confusing to readers.

I hope my negativity helps you form better arguments in the future.
Here on the TB forum we want to avoid personal attacks.
The bottom line is that everyone is spilling their personal views, how can it be any other way?
The subject of this thread revolves around the question...if our ancestors experienced extinction threatening cosmic catastrophes what effects would this have on the survivors and their descendents- us? I do not think Moses has gone off that topic so there is no need to chastise him for doing so. Each reader can decide for themselves whether or not they are bored or confused. Those that are bored can move on to another thread and those that are confused can ask for clarification. If you feel that your points are being misunderstood than you should allocate your energies to addressing the issues and ideas involved.
If you have any questions or remarks feel free to PM myself or an administrator.

respectfully,
Nick

moses

Unread post by moses » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Well thanks Nick. As you know I don't get involved in personal issues and always try to keep to the subject in the heading. It might be interesting to have a section of the forum where such issues could be addressed.
Mo

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:59 pm

I just saw this, and it seems to confirm what the ancient Greeks said, that sometimes
there were no survivors. It parallels the Noahs ark story of course, and the idea that
the many destructions were of various forms does not seem unreasonable. The ice ages
seem to have begun very quickly, with electronic cooling as opposed to heat or water
being the destroyer.
"Ahura Mazda warns Yima, the first king of men, of the approach of a dire winter, which is to destroy every living creature by covering the land with a thick sheet of ice, and advises Yima to build a Vara, or an enclosure, to preserve the seeds of every kind of animal and plant."
-- Zend-Avesta, Fargard II, 1000 B.C.
There could be no collective amnesia though, if there were no survivors of these events,
but I don't think TB would want to be associated with the idea that we were re-created
by aliens, or at least some advanced Human race able to survive somehow, every so often.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller