What produces consciousness?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Aristarchus

Re: What produces consciousness?

Unread post by Aristarchus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:02 am

Kilgore Trout wrote:Truely classic dialogue. But basically he states that our conciousness is a physical energy that cannot be destroyed, which if you think about it, that can be the reason that certain species are more instinctual than others. Maybe they are linked into that real energy.
I believe linking into that real energy is through the development of the intuitive.
An object is cut off from its name, habits, associations. Detached, it becomes only the thing, in and of itself. When this disintegration into pure existence is at last achieved, the object is free to become endlessly anything. ~ Jim Morrison

regmor12

Unread post by regmor12 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:12 pm

We cannot conceive of nothing. It isn't as though we are not in part comprised of nothing but perhaps that we are so linked to the material existence that nothing is impossible to conceive of though we come from it. That Which Brings All Things into existence is not from anywhere, nor occupies any time, is of no thing, nor existence according to that which is of the universe itself. It is nothing which is in truth everything and sanctified from all things at once that there may be no connection from It to anything within creation. The soul itself is sanctified from the existence of things as well. It is that about humanity that is abstract, intangible. And because of it we are able to comprehend the intangible and think in the abstract. It is the cause of our having the capacity to be conscious of God, yet all we can know of God, Itself being sanctified from all things, is the Thought (purely an abstraction) of God delivered to us in a Revelation suchwise that we do not even have to hear it or read it but instead it may come to us in part, on the ether. We may only receive the whole Revelation by reading or hearing the words of the designated Messenger.

Please know that clergy doesn't have a part in the Revelation as there is no longer a clergy class. You are your own priest/teacher and are responsible to investigate the truth with your own mind, unfettered by restrictions.

Humanity has had to pass through many states of development. In the last six thousand years we have become capable, incrementally, of being conscious of God, Allah, Ahura Mazda, and all other names of God. Why are we conscious? We are conscious so that we may become conscious of our Creator from Whom flows all that is from no time and no place, related to no thing.

The primitives of 6000 years ago gravitated toward the teachings of Zedek or Atum-Ra also know as Adam. There was a succession of Messengers, each one bringing an even greater light to humanity. The most recent Messenger, Baha'u'llah, www.uhj.net, made His proclamation in 1863 and passed on in 1892.

There is no clergy. If you find a group embracing a Revelation but still in the grip of a clergy similar to that which exists in religions world wide keep looking. This writer, though knowing somewhat of the Message for our time, is no authority over anyone and is only responsible for his own salvation. You can't join my religion. I wouldn't have gone into the subject of consciousness in this manner except to hand off as many of the keys to consciousness as possible in a short space.

mistie

Unread post by mistie » Thu May 26, 2011 1:15 pm

I liken consciousness to music, or the constituent parts (fundamental frequencies and timed movements) that make up music. We compose (arrange) the constituent parts of consciousness in to what we think of as consciousness through biological processes within the brain.

Are we playing or are we broadcasting? I have pondered whether the body is more like an instrument or more like a radio transmitter. It would have to be more like a group of instruments, I suppose. A symphony if you will. And it would seem our symphony hall comes fully equipped with a broadcasting system.

We create and we transmit. It is very difficult to create without inspiration. Our grand symphony hall must have a wonderful receiver in which we retrieve signals, instructions perhaps, inspiration.

To think of consciousness as a single entity seems wrong to me. It seems to be an amalgamation. A grand process. The constituent elements are there begging to be arranged, needing to be transmitted.

Now these are just the ideas, Obviously, I am making no claims. I'm looking for answers just like everyone else. I wish I knew more about radio technology and such though, then my analogies wouldn't be so crude.

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Fri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm

mistie, "I wish I knew more about radio technology and such though, then my analogies wouldn't be so crude".
Your analogy is okey....It is all E/M...radio is a frequency that has other information, varied frequencies, amplitudes, or mixtures of information
modulated upon it.

keep in mind that the power of E/M radiation falls off very quickly with distance. Also, we exist in a soup of E/M static, to us, that requires finely tuned, selective, and sensitive receivers to gather and process radio signals.

If our brain is a transmitter/receiver, that might explain the static that we emit. :D
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Moby

Unread post by Moby » Mon May 30, 2011 2:53 pm

This is an old discussion, but my personal studies of simple consciousness indicates that it predates language, and even predates primitive religion or worship (mainly instilled by a lack of understanding or fear), back towards an era when art evolved in hominids (actually the need to self-adorn with mud or blood) c.100,000-250,000 yrs BC.
Cave art that indifatigably indicates a certain level of self-awareness is quite recent by comparison.

The answer you may seek, is probably "ART" itself. Though there is some conjecture as to whether the australopithicene precusrors (not hominid) used and developed artisitc skills. A slightly more interesting question is "when did the ancestors of all hominids develop a psyche or collective unconscious?"