Magnetically Levitating Mice

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

seasmith

Magnetically Levitating Mice

Unread post by seasmith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:18 am

NASA engineers have built a device that can suspend mice in the air for hours. The purpose is to understand how zero gravity affects the bone density and muscle mass of astronauts.

The levitation device, built by Yuanming Liu and colleagues at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, uses a magnetic field that distorts the movement of electrons in water molecules to let the mice float.
...they were able to "fly" the mouse for hours, allowing it to roam freely, and giving it food and water.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/de ... ?nlid=2344

colesakick@yahoo.com

Re: Magnetically Levitating Mice

Unread post by colesakick@yahoo.com » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:55 am

That is so very cool. I always believed that success in anti-gravity could only come from work based on magnatism. This is not anti-graity we are looking at; it is anti-magnatism. Says something about what really holds us to the ground IMO.

Orlando

Unread post by Orlando » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Cool, I have seen this at a University site where they performed the same experiments on other objects as well as mice.
The water drops where cool as well.
I remember reading where graphite, bismuth and water are Diamagnetic materials and repel magnetic fields.

I will dig it up from my archived drives if interested.

Peace
Or
Teach me a fact and I'll learn; Tell me the truth and I'll Believe;
Tell me a Story and it will live in my Heart forever--

Native American Proverb

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:53 am

Thats right, any living creature, if it could self organize, or externally organize its EM polar spin alignment, could via diamagnatism, levitate. I envision either the external application with high Teslas via a nano metamaterial-suit or the internal control via meditation, breath and the conscious field to use this ability, at some time in the future, at will. I think in my little world, both are possible.
:D

External control is simple enough.
Internal control not so much.
:lol:
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:08 pm

There was some work done back in 2000 at Nijmegen High Field Magnet Laboratory that involved levitating a frog.

http://www.hfml.ru.nl/froglev.html

Here is the link to a small mpg that they did:

http://www.hfml.ru.nl/pics/Movies/frog.mpg
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend the rest of the day sitting in a small boat, drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.

Volcanoes
Astrophysics wants its physics back.
The Electromagnetic Nature of Tornadic Supercell Thunderstorms

Osmosis

Unread post by Osmosis » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:44 pm

If a human were levitated, I wonder about harmful voltage levels, across the subject, as they move about in the water. Having him/her holding their breath would also be an issue. :mrgreen:

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:21 pm

* I heard on one of the dish network science or history stations that a very strong magnetic field can levitate a strawberry. I guess frogs and mice top strawberries, but it's interesting that the info is available nearly in the mainstream.

Total Science

Magnetic Antigravity

Unread post by Total Science » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:44 pm

"Diamagnetic substances include water, protein, diamond, DNA, plastic, wood, and many other common substances usually thought to be nonmagnetic." -- Martin D. Simon, professor, May 2000

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1 ... avity.html
USING a giant magnetic field, scientists at the University of Nottingham and the University of Nijmegen in the Netherlands have made a frog float in mid-air.

The levitation trick works because giant magnetic fields slightly distort the orbits of electrons in the frog's atoms. The resulting electric current generates a magnetic field in the opposite direction to that of the magnet. A field of 16 teslas created an attractive force strong enough to make the frog float—until it made its escape.

The team has also levitated plants, grasshoppers and fish. "If you have a magnet that is big enough, you could levitate a human," says Peter Main, one of the researchers.

He adds that the frog did not seem to suffer any ill effects: "It went back to its fellow frogs looking perfectly happy."
Simon, M.D., Geim, A.K.,. Diamagnetic Levitation: Flying Frogs and Floating Magnets (Invited), Journal of Applied Physics, Volume 87, Number 9, Pages 6200-6204, May 2000

Simon, M.D., Heflinger, L.O., and Geim, A.K., Diamagnetically Stabilized Magnet Levitation, American Journal of Physics, Volume 69, Number 6, Pages 702-713, Jun 2001
"The ancients possessed a plasma cosmology and physics themselves, and from laboratory experiments, were well familiar with the patterns exhibited by Peratt's petroglyphs." -- Joseph P. Farrell, author, 2007

katesisco

Unread post by katesisco » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm

The levitating mice are in Pop Sci this month; consider that the requirements are 0 kelvin (super cooled to zero motion) with electromagnetism that we are able to obtain to lift a mouse 3 inches. Consider the experiments in Swiss land and the super collider:
The experiments are not so much geared to fission as we have flogged that horse to death going nowhere, but now are aimed at defying gravity. I suspect our success will stimulate decades of research with much the same conclusion as fission into fusion. Can do but energy requirements exceed output.