Philosophy of electric universe

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Plasmatic

Re: Philosophy of electric universe

Unread post by Plasmatic » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:21 pm

It is sometimes possible to be certain about something.
Our senses are mostly trustworthy.

This statement is a logical fallacy any Philosopher will tell you that, in fact our senses are constantly lying to us, which is why we can never know the nature of reality I think you should read Nagel's book What's it like to be a bat.
Well I dont frequent the forum much anymore because of all the nonsense infesting most threads these days but Ill jump in here for a minute.'

whiteknight ,you may be unfamiliar with Aristotle and Ayn Rand. If you where youd realize you only know the popularized version of platonism that pervades most of society today ergo your "any philospher" remark.

I have a question for you . With what did you use to reach the certainty that there is no certainty if not your senses? Circular reasoning indeed!

Existence is an axiom it is always a part of any thing you will attempt to say. It is self evident. As Don Scott says "those who dont believe in reality ought not play on railroad tracks".

Say Web if the downward spiral of the forum into "sacred" this "god" that and every other bit of nonsense frequently seen in almost every section of this forum is an indication that gap may remain open a bit longer.
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:56 pm

Plasmatic, I am also uncomfortable with the amount of untestable mysticism entertained at this site...
I much prefer the scientific/evidential/observable/testable postings.
The Saturn theory stuff is about as far out as I can handle, recognizing the validity of studying common mythologies across diverse cultures, and appreciation for the history/archaeology research-based hypotheses of David T and others.
It is probably "mystical" to some that I "see" a connectedness between spiritual life, biological life and the energy domains of the universe. However, that sense of connectivity has driven and continues to drive major scientific progress in both eastern and western civilization. Many contributors to this forum openly acknowledge their lack of scientific expertise or background; others, like yourself perhaps, minimize the importance of fundamental belief systems in the development of scientific hypotheses. Overall, I think the forum moderators do a pretty good job of helping maintain a balance.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

Plasmatic

Unread post by Plasmatic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:58 pm

Its not just mysticism .Its the rampant subjects that have absolutely nothing to do with the "published materials" put out by the THUNDERBOLTS team. I find at least 75-85% of the post below the first 3 sections of the forum to be completely irrelevant ,and actually opposed to the actual ideas put forth by Wal and Don Scott. I know for a fact that I am not alone in this thinking,and you would be surprised at the folks who have the same mind as me.I don't blame the moderators at all though.

By the way I don't at all diminish the underlying philosophical motivations in the least. In fact I see it as the greatest reason why modern physics is basically nothing but a faith based mystical doctrine complete with its high priesthood etc.
Your implicit and explicit value judgments along with any and all undefined contradictions/misintegrations ,will affect every thing you do.
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Not to over-argue your point, I agree with about everything you said there. :D
Opposition is important as a litmus test for the validity of a concept.
What I need is specific point to point objections and questions based on solid verifiable observations...
I thrive on opposition, because it helps me refine, and as needed discard, the ideas that don't really work.
I'm sure the EU folks agree with this. But there's a big difference between opposition and off-topic positions.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

Plasmatic

Unread post by Plasmatic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:30 pm

And I am unopposed to the presence of on topic opposition myself! :D
Ayn Rand
Aristotle

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:05 pm

Plasmatic wrote:Its not just mysticism .Its the rampant subjects that have absolutely nothing to do with the "published materials" put out by the THUNDERBOLTS team. I find at least 75-85% of the post below the first 3 sections of the forum to be completely irrelevant ,and actually opposed to the actual ideas put forth by Wal and Don Scott. I know for a fact that I am not alone in this thinking,and you would be surprised at the folks who have the same mind as me.I don't blame the moderators at all though.

By the way I don't at all diminish the underlying philosophical motivations in the least. In fact I see it as the greatest reason why modern physics is basically nothing but a faith based mystical doctrine complete with its high priesthood etc.
Your implicit and explicit value judgments along with any and all undefined contradictions/misintegrations ,will affect every thing you do.
I absolutely agree with this. Almost nobody I talk to can actually provide physical causal hypotheses for some of the most fundamental observations of physics. I'm not demanding the GUT/TOE on the spot, but nobody is even trying! Usually the reason they cannot is that they have not even defined the most fundamental words of physics! These are words like:

object
time
motion
exist

How can anyone study existence without defining these terms?

Existence:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... =10&t=1171

Definitions of some fundamental words of physics:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... f=8&t=1170 (check bottom post)
Physicist: This is a pen

Mathematician: It's pi*r2*h