Article: Humans couldn't see color blue until recently

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

ztifbob

Article: Humans couldn't see color blue until recently

Unread post by ztifbob » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:36 pm

This should interest the E U community:

http://www.sciencealert.com/humans-coul ... h-suggests

+EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know

Re: Article: Humans couldn't see color blue until recently

Unread post by +EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:24 pm

"A few years later, a philologist called Lazarus Geiger decided to follow up on this discovery, and analysed ancient Icelandic, Hindu, Chinese, Arabic and Hebrew texts, to find no mention of the word blue. And, when you think about it, why would they need one? Other than the sky, there isn't really much in nature that is inherently a vibrant blue."

I can understand the idea if taken from a lighting perspective and I can readily see how a "Purple Dawn" scenario would color tint the sky, however just because "blue" isn't perceived in one light doesn't prevent it being seen another ("daylight" Vs firelight for example). While I find the Himba tribe data very interesting, it is effectively countered by the MIT study of the Russian groups. Unless they have some kind of wider ranging physical evidence (such as comparative DNA analysis), it's really conjecture.

The statement "Other than the sky, there isn't really much in nature that is inherently a vibrant blue" is a ridiculously superficial and severely flawed conclusion.
A blue sky & blue waters might be dismissible, but not the dozens of species of birds with blue that fly in them... http://www.whatbird.com/browse/objs/All ... /2063/Blue
or the nearly A-Z of fish with various amounts of blue...
Let's not forget the bugs - Bees, Beetles, Butterflies, Caterpillars, Damsel & Dragonflies, Flies, Lacewings, Spiders...
and Flowers...
and Crabs & Crawfish...
and Frogs & Lizards...

LOL!!! Davidoff could even ignore that tiny Octopus flashing it's blue rings in an Australian tidal pool if he wishes, but it's at his peril!

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:31 am

+EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know wrote:LOL!!! Davidoff could even ignore that tiny Octopus flashing it's blue rings in an Australian tidal pool if he wishes, but it's at his peril!
I remember a quarterly SCUBA magazine from many years ago that was always printed on heavy, high quality stock with art magazine printing. The back cover featured a select photo, and one of those photos was a diver holding up one of those octopi. When later informed, "Do you know what you were holding?!" the diver replied, "I just thought it was pretty!"

+EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know

Unread post by +EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:08 am

Metryq wrote:
+EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know wrote:LOL!!! Davidoff could even ignore that tiny Octopus flashing it's blue rings in an Australian tidal pool if he wishes, but it's at his peril!
I remember a quarterly SCUBA magazine from many years ago that was always printed on heavy, high quality stock with art magazine printing. The back cover featured a select photo, and one of those photos was a diver holding up one of those octopi. When later informed, "Do you know what you were holding?!" the diver replied, "I just thought it was pretty!"
Yeah a Google image search for "blue ringed octopus bite mark" reveals there are plenty of folks out there willing to take that gamble.