Researchers Create Magnetic Life

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Asgard

Researchers Create Magnetic Life

Unread post by Asgard » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:26 am

i used to think of the genesis of biology as more of a chemical event but as is becoming ever more obvious the electric component is the real driving factor.
ARGONNE, Illinois — In the basement of a nondescript building here at Argonne National Laboratory, nickel particles in a beaker are building themselves into magnetic snakes that may one day give clues about how life originally organized itself.

These chains of metal particles look so much like real, living animals, it is hard not to think of them as alive. (See exclusive video below.) But they are actually bits of metal that came together under the influence of a specially tuned magnetic field.

"It behaves like some live object," says physicist Alex Snezhko. "It moves. It crashes onto free-floating particles and absorbs them."
several videos at link:

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/03/snakes.html

GaryN

Re: Researchers Create Magnetic Life

Unread post by GaryN » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:24 pm

Yes, I had always believed that chemical self assembly could produce some very complex forms, but not 'life'. I'm now willing to accept that the emanations of our Sun are so complex that the patterns for life are inherent. Conscious life, well, I'm still undecided about that.

These fellows are looking for the answers, but I don't see anything about experiments utilising EM waves, harmonics, etc on molecules/polymers.

http://www.theoriginscenter.net/ourmission.html
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Snakes, watch this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=736NKsK86Uk

Then understand the conscious field....and the snakes.
8-)
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 pm

Asgard wrote:i used to think of the genesis of biology as more of a chemical event but as is becoming ever more obvious the electric component is the real driving factor.
ARGONNE, Illinois — In the basement of a nondescript building here at Argonne National Laboratory, nickel particles in a beaker are building themselves into magnetic snakes that may one day give clues about how life originally organized itself.

These chains of metal particles look so much like real, living animals, it is hard not to think of them as alive. (See exclusive video below.) But they are actually bits of metal that came together under the influence of a specially tuned magnetic field.

"It behaves like some live object," says physicist Alex Snezhko. "It moves. It crashes onto free-floating particles and absorbs them."
several videos at link:

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/03/snakes.html
I wonder how they 'tune' the magnetic fields?

The findings there put me in the mind of Irving Langmuir and perhaps how he may have felt when bestowing the name "plasma" to the "self-organizing" characteristics he observed with plasma and electricity. It certainly seems, at least, to hint perhaps at possible dynamics for the formation of organic structure as the focus of responses to an amalgamation - of a variety of resonant "fields". I think they should've said 'life-like' though.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:45 am

Quantum biology shows it is the branching network that is the folding and unfolding of proteins that is the basis of life...so this is clearly the basic construct that is involved in plasma and also here with the branching networks, via the rotating magnetic field. This basic construct of branching networks and the folding and unfolding is part of the ratio of this rotating magnetic field to the angular momentum that is what we call matter. This PHI energy is abundent and pervasive in the universe. Hence the folding and unfolding of life will occur from this basic energy pattern.
:D
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 am

~
Chimps use geometry to navigate the jungle
"We were able to do this study now because of the new GPS technology that works perfectly in the tropical forest. That was not the case five years ago," Boesch says.

After analysing all this data, he and Normand found good evidence that the animals chose their routes using a mental map built around geometric coordinates, as opposed to a navigation style based on landmarks for well-travelled routes.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... nline-news

Greek orthodox western culture has developed a linear-rational-reductionist bias to thinking,
but i don't believe human-kind always has been so programmed.
I think we used to have a much more holistic and intuitive perceptive faculty, as does animal-kind.
No great insight that.

~

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:27 am

junglelord wrote:
Then understand the conscious field....and the snakes.

JL,

See you've now gotten around to the Terence McKenna, i recommended you a few months back.
;)
s

Total Science

Unread post by Total Science » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:43 pm

The only thing Newton ever got right in his life:

"And now we might add something concerning a certain most subtle spirit which pervades and lies hid in all gross bodies; by the force and action of which spirit the particles of bodies attract one another at near distances, and cohere, if contiguous; and electric bodies operate to greater distances, as well repelling as attracting the neighboring corpuscles; and light is emitted, reflected, refracted, inflected, and heats bodies; and all sensation is excited, and the members of animal bodies move at the command of the will, namely, by the vibrations of this spirit, mutually propagated along the solid filaments of the nerves, from the outward organs of sense to the brain, and from the brain into the muscles. But these are things that cannot be explained in few words, nor are we furnished with that sufficiency of experiments which is required to an accurate determination and demonstration of the laws by which this electric and elastic spirit operates." -- Isaac Newton, mathematician, 1686
"The ancients possessed a plasma cosmology and physics themselves, and from laboratory experiments, were well familiar with the patterns exhibited by Peratt's petroglyphs." -- Joseph P. Farrell, author, 2007