Muddy Memories

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

BronzeDragon

Muddy Memories

Unread post by BronzeDragon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:52 pm

I apologize if this has been posted before, or if it's in the wrong forum. I just finished reading this article: https://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2014/0 ... emories-3/ I knew about the flood stories from all over the world, but was not aware that there were so many other characteristics shared by a multitude of cultures from ancient times up till now. Even the Bible talks of this time in human history, of how the world was "without form, and void, and the spirit of God brooded over the face of the deep."

Surely, such commonalities among so many disparate peoples must mean something, yet we are encouraged to view these stories as "just myths" with no deeper meaning. Few researchers seem interested in trying to decipher those meanings to see if they might have a real, physical, historical origin. Even suggesting it brings derision. Yet, tales of a dark, mud-covered earth where nobody had any fire are pretty specific details to have in common. It's not something that can be dismissed as coincidence. Claiming that they all go back to a time hundreds of thousands of years ago, before humans were as widespread as today, doesn't make sense. A hundred thousand years is a long time for a campfire story to survive. Whatever happened, it was more recent, it was worldwide, and it was so terrifying that we have retained a collective memory of it to this day, in the form of stories that we call myths. I wonder how long it will be before mainstream scientists finally see the light.
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." (Douglas Adams, "The Salmon of Doubt")