Faster than light travel

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Xantos

Faster than light travel

Unread post by Xantos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:28 am

Link

<moderator edit> Slowly they'll come to my opinion and understanding of Universe. I was telling just this to people a year ago during conversations, that space travel and occurences during it are supposed to be this way. Now, this news is a slight confirmation that my perception of Universe is correct. So thrilled, can't wait for more news. :D
Last edited by nick c on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: inappropriate comment removed

D_Archer

Re: Faster than light travel

Unread post by D_Archer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:25 am

That article is nonsense.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Xantos

Unread post by Xantos » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05 am

Please elaborate on your answer. I'm not satisfied with just "nonsense". Why do you think that?

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:13 am

The title is already wrong > Physicists extend special relativity beyond the speed of light

You can not extend special relativity. The speed of light is an assumed constant by Einstein, so any going "beyond" (whatever that means), dispenses special relativity.

The article goes downhill from that into the gutter, dont wast your time, read this forum, much better.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Knotts1997

Unread post by Knotts1997 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Just saying several articles say that faster than light travel is impossible in space because velocity adds mass well I jaut thought about it for several days nd thought of all these complex as shit theory's and ways to minimize your mass in that speed but... There is no #%?$ mass in space... Therefore #%?$ you Einstein guess you never heard of the 21st century and if you say some b.s. about the ship having mass... Stfu because the ships mass in space is almost nothing also the fact is that earths rotation doesn't effect us earths revolving the sun doesn't effect our mass but do you knowwhatdoes, the atmosphere, and I thought maybe you can neutralize a sustainable atmosphere at speed of light but but while possible the energy required is a problem or was I figured there had to be a way to throw enough energy in and regain in it full basically reusing energy you do it like this ok first you do not make the ship able to go speed of light but a machine that can put a ship into overdrive to basically superb post it to the next way in comparison to mass effect but mass effect has mass amounts of energy while I say that you can use a few hundred kilometers(others say 1/3 of 160,000 or 1/3 of speed of lights speed of 160,000 per second) long iron super compressed bar like down to the partice and then you need a non- conduct able focus able container in high comparison to mass effects mass relay, except the whole thing is non-conductable and there is a motor in the middle of the bar and the motor needs to throw out like tons and tons of electricity and the iron bars will catch it and then fouca it into iron threads from the more end area were the bar is to the far end that has all the threads pulled together with some sort of basically barrel to shoot the energy to another location possibly another relay and be caught but slowed before hitting just enough for the ship to get out of the energy beam, the problem is with that you need another relay, but the ship need to for one have one location on its engine to grab the energy and run it into the engine and out without actually affecting the rest of the ship. Tell me a problem with any of this and I'll correct it in like 2 days and add on.

Goldminer

Unread post by Goldminer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am

James Hill and Barry Cox from the University of Adelaide in Australia wrote:As a result, the singularity forms a kind of boundary so that all inertial reference frames fall into one of two sets relative to some rest frame: those with a relative velocity less than c, and those with a relative velocity greater than c. The physicists explain that there is no objective way to identify whether a particular reference frame is in the subluminal or in the superluminal set of frames other than by reference to some arbitrary rest frame.
The authors are correct in that any rest frame can be chosen as "the" rest frame, however, for the chosen rest frame to have any existence, there must be objects at rest within it with which to reference. Likewise regarding the authors' other two reference frames.

If object 2 is receding from object one at 3/4 c and object 3 is receding in the same direction as object 2 rectilinearly from object 1, at 3/4 c relative object 2, object 3 is receding from object 1 at 1.5c, according to rational thought.

Einstein claims that object 1 and object 3 are really only receding from each other at .9999999~c. Then, in the next breath, he claims that object 1 and object 3 are beyond the event horizon of each other! Go figure!

If a fourth object is receding from object 3 at 3/4 c, along the same line, things get even more dicey. Now, figure that any one of the objects may be selected to be the arbitrary "rest frame" reference, and figure all the changes in time and distance involved, for each "chosen rest frame reference;" then contemplate that all of them must happen concurrently.

One tiny little point: Doppler shift and aberration of light are going to play havoc with navigation at relative speeds above 1/2 c, IMHO. No one ever mentions how "UFOs" can navigate the local Galaxy at their supposed speeds. Seems pretty dangerous to me, not being able to actually see where you are going.
I sense a disturbance in the farce.

Aardwolf

Unread post by Aardwolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 am

Goldminer wrote:One tiny little point: Doppler shift and aberration of light are going to play havoc with navigation at relative speeds above 1/2 c, IMHO. No one ever mentions how "UFOs" can navigate the local Galaxy at their supposed speeds. Seems pretty dangerous to me, not being able to actually see where you are going.
If there is no limit to the available technology then I would assume that the pilots of such craft would have acccess to equipment that was able to detect the gravitational pull of all nearby objects of any given mass. Gravity communicates at a much faster speed than light (although I accept you may disagree on this point) which means a near instant 3 dimensional map would be available for superluminal navigation.

Goldminer

Unread post by Goldminer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:53 am

Aardwolf wrote:
Goldminer wrote:One tiny little point: Doppler shift and aberration of light are going to play havoc with navigation at relative speeds above 1/2 c, IMHO. No one ever mentions how "UFOs" can navigate the local Galaxy at their supposed speeds. Seems pretty dangerous to me, not being able to actually see where you are going.
If there is no limit to the available technology then I would assume that the pilots of such craft would have access to equipment that was able to detect the gravitational pull of all nearby objects of any given mass. Gravity communicates at a much faster speed than light (although I accept you may disagree on this point) which means a near instant 3 dimensional map would be available for superluminal navigation.
Well, I don't know. Can the direction of gravitational forces be ferreted out of the field that an object in free-fall experiences? Our simulations seem to produce an accurate prediction of the Solar system's component positions, but the actual measurements of gravitation from each planet, moon, and the Sun do not exist. The barycenter of the Solar system (which is calculated, not measured) moves around continuously, right? Gravity probe B's great accomplishment was that it found nothing. Maybe you'll be the one to invent the technology?

tayga

Unread post by tayga » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:22 am

The authors are dealing in SR. Is the contribution of gravity relevant to their argument?
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

Goldminer

Unread post by Goldminer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:13 pm

tayga wrote:The authors are dealing in SR. Is the contribution of gravity relevant to their argument?
My comment was directed to Aardwolf. He brought up the possibility of navigating by some sort of unknown gravity sensing device. Just say'n.

Aardwolf

Unread post by Aardwolf » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Goldminer wrote:Can the direction of gravitational forces be ferreted out of the field that an object in free-fall experiences?
Why not. All the planets/moons are in freefall with respect to the entity they are orbiting but their paths are still influenced by other bodies.
Goldminer wrote:Our simulations seem to produce an accurate prediction of the Solar system's component positions, but the actual measurements of gravitation from each planet, moon, and the Sun do not exist. The barycenter of the Solar system (which is calculated, not measured) moves around continuously, right?
I wouldn't say it's calculated; it's inferred based on the measured paths of the planets. If it could be calculated then you could solve the n-body problem.
Goldminer wrote:Gravity probe B's great accomplishment was that it found nothing. Maybe you'll be the one to invent the technology?
All that should be needed is sensitive enough equipment not new technology as such.

Aardwolf

Unread post by Aardwolf » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Goldminer wrote:He brought up the possibility of navigating by some sort of unknown gravity sensing device.
As far as I am aware all physical material senses gravity. If you're aware of a material that cannot sense gravity I suggest you patent it.

If you throw a ball into the air and catch it, its path should be measurably affected by the position of Pluto. If not then solar systems, galaxies and clusters of galaxies should not exist as the structure could not be maintained.